Tuesday Rocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tuesday Rocks

I got the week off and after studying Windfinder last night I made the decision to run over to fish below KI. After coming up with a 1oz buck tail jig to which I added a Gulp! red worm I had a string of very nice hook ups for the next hour. Too bad I spent most of the day trying to find the fish only to have a single magic hour before I had to head back in. In that time I landed 5 in the 24 - 30" range, lost 2 before I saw them and had many nice "bumps". Didn't see another sole out there. Think I'll head back there for tomorrow because the fish are there and forecast is the best of the week. Pictures from this afternoon with one to show the lure that did all the work.

P.S. This is my first post here so let me say Hey! and thank you all for this forum. Joe
    Attached Files

Nice report, the rare red worm usage.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Good report...think I’ll head out tomorrow myself...the bite happens suddenly and shuts off just as suddenly...usually within a fairly short period within a tide change...just gotta have your lure wet...
      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike View Post
        Nice report, the rare red worm usage.
        Thanks Mike!
        After trying shad, spoons, parachutes and plugs I reached deep in the bag for the worm.

Comment

Originally posted by Slough Sleigher View Post
          I got the week off and after studying Windfinder last night I made the decision to run over to fish below KI. After coming up with a 1oz buck tail jig to which I added a Gulp! red worm I had a string of very nice hook ups for the next hour. Too bad I spent most of the day trying to find the fish only to have a single magic hour before I had to head back in. In that time I landed 5 in the 24 - 30" range, lost 2 before I saw them and had many nice "bumps". Didn't see another sole out there. Think I'll head back there for tomorrow because the fish are there and forecast is the best of the week. Pictures from this afternoon with one to show the lure that did all the work.

P.S. This is my first post here so let me say Hey! and thank you all for this forum. Joe
          Very nice. I didn’t get to go out this evening due to a work, but I will try again tomorrow if the weather and work cooperate. This time last year I use to be able to leave Triton beach and have two for the grill before the sun disappears behind the trees.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
          Gregory
          ​Ain't Misbehavin'
          2014 Pro Angler 12
          '

Comment

Thanks Mike!
            After trying shad, spoons, parachutes and plugs I reached deep in the bag for the worm.

You may have matched the hatch if mayworms were around. The stripers are gorging on reddish polychaete worms during the worm spawning period.
            John Veil
            Annapolis
            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
              Good report...think I’ll head out tomorrow myself...the bite happens suddenly and shuts off just as suddenly...usually within a fairly short period within a tide change...just gotta have your lure wet...
              Just wondering if you got out and how you did today? I went to Sandy Point and headed North up through the channels above Podickery and never saw anything of size on the Hook2. Lots of baitfish pods but none of the big red blips I was hoping to see. Bay was nice and flat today but from what I saw even the chunkers were having a dry spell in the area. Of course, maybe if I picked the tides better instead of going out when I had the time (9-1) it might have been a whole different ball game. Friday is looking more like a light wind day compared to the 17mph predicted 2 days ago. Might head back across to the E.S. then. Wish you better luck if you get out.

Comment

Just wondering if you got out and how you did today? I went to Sandy Point and headed North up through the channels above Podickery and never saw anything of size on the Hook2. Lots of baitfish pods but none of the big red blips I was hoping to see. Bay was nice and flat today but from what I saw even the chunkers were having a dry spell in the area. Of course, maybe if I picked the tides better instead of going out when I had the time (9-1) it might have been a whole different ball game. Friday is looking more like a light wind day compared to the 17mph predicted 2 days ago. Might head back across to the E.S. then. Wish you better luck if you get out.
                [ATTACH]23325[/ATTACH
                Had a blast...really good pullage today...9 in three hours..and the fish had moved into shallower waters...did not get a single hit in deep channels...love the sleigh rides...nothing like it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Attached Files
                Last edited by ronaultmtd; 05-09-2018, 05:30 PM.
                "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

John, you're probably right on the "match the hatch" explanation. I just read your may worm post (nice pictures) and if fish are coming up from the South through them, they may be still keyed up for a red squiggly morsel -and that's how I got lucky. Maybe that pattern might work for a few more days?

Comment

There you go! Nice fish!

Comment

What a great first post! Welcome to the group, we look forward to hearing more of your adventures.

Best Regards,
                      Stan
                      Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

Working...
                      X