No announcement yet.

Urgent! Anne Arundel County Budget Hearings Thursday 5/10/18 & Monday 5/14/18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urgent! Anne Arundel County Budget Hearings Thursday 5/10/18 & Monday 5/14/18

Hello all,

Please come speak for public water access budget money before the Anne Arundel County Council tomorrow 5/10/18 or Monday 5/14/18. Showing up and speaking up at these hearings is important. The county council members really pay attention and this year we get a two-fer - it's an election year and the wannabe council members will be in the audience.

Wear your PFD. Details below, please spread the word to other kindred spirits.

Thanks,

Lisa

========================

Urgent: Anne Arundel County Budget Hearings Thurs 5/10/18 & Mon 5/14/18

Hello all, please come speak up for public water access funding at the Anne Arundel County Council budget hearings 7 to 9 pm Thursday 5/10/18 (Annapolis) and Monday 5/14/10 (Glen Burnie). Addresses at the end. You have two minutes to speak. There will be a sign up sheet at the entrance. Wear your PFD so we stand out in the audience.

Tell the county council that you support the water access budget. Tell them what opening the public waterfront parks has meant in *your* life - kayaking, fishing, standup paddleboarding, launching your trailered boat, birdwatching, taking your kids and grandkids to the water and maybe your dog too.

Suggested support points:
    1) public boat ramps - the budget includes a new public boat ramp at Solley Cove Park
    2) public swimming beaches - the county has hundreds of miles of shoreline and only one public county swimming beach. That's not enough.
    3) more kayak and SUP launches
    4) more fishing piers
    5) we are all paying to clean up the Bay and we should all be able to get to the Bay
    6) we all paid for the county's backlog of closed waterfront parks and it would take so little to open them all to the people who paid for them
    7) 80% of county residents do not live in waterfront homes or water privileged communities. We all live here, all love the Bay and we should all be able to enjoy the Bay.

Showing up at these budget hearings is especially important because it's an election year. Four of the seven council members are term limited and council candidates will be in the audience. It's a two-fer you'll be talking to this year's council and the next year's council.

The best person to tell your water access story is you. Please come to the budget hearings and speak up for water access funding.

Hearing addresses below.

Lisa

Two Public Hearings:

Thursday May 10, 2018 7:00pm - 9:00pm
    Location: County Council Chambers, Arundel Center, 44 Calvert Street, Annapolis, Maryland, 21401
    Details: FY19 Budget

The county will validate your parking for the Whitmore Parking Garage at 25 Clay Street across from the Arundel Center. Bring your parking slip and have it validated at the security desk.

http://www.aacounty.org/news-and-eve...budget-fy-2019

Monday May 14, 2018 7:00pm - 9:00pm
    Location: North County High School 10 East 1st Ave Glen Burnie, MD
    Details: FY19 Budget

http://www.aacounty.org/news-and-eve...public-hearing

Thanks Lisa. I will do my best to be there.
    Bruce

Hobie PA 14
    Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Lisa,

I cannot make it tonight but Monday is presently possible.

I did write to the County Exec a week or so ago on this issue and he acknowledged my position with a reply as he has done in the past.

I'm hopeful the county continues to move forward in providing more and improved water access.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

This might be a dumb question, but those who live outside of AA county, but fish inside of it, are encouraged to attend, correct? I might be able to make it on Monday.

Comment

Originally posted by yakscientist View Post
          This might be a dumb question, but those who live outside of AA county, but fish inside of it, are encouraged to attend, correct? I might be able to make it on Monday.
          Received an email from Chuck @ Chesapeake Kayak Adventures: "I want to note that you don't have to live in Anne Arundel County to go, wear your PFD and support the issues we will be talking about. You don't even need to live in Anne Arundel County to speak. I don't and I will be speaking."
          Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Great. I will be there tonight, though I won't be speaking since I spoke last Thursday. As expected, candidates for county council and the Democratic candidate for county executive were in the audience last Thursday and I expect them to be there tonight too. (Four of the seven council councilman are term limited so there are four open seats on the council in the November 2018 election.)

If you get there and there is no one in the lobby signing people up to speak, go in and take a seat. After everyone who signed up speaks, the council chair will ask the audience if anyone else wants to say anything. Stand up and come on down.

See you there,

Lisa

Comment

Working...
            X