Baltimore County zoning Sucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baltimore County zoning Sucks

I have lived in Baltimore County for 66 years. I had recreation vehicles in my driveway for well over 40 years ......... most of the time I had 2 in the driveway.

I have a neighbor ( we call her Mrs Cravitz ) because she is always in everyone’s business. She call the county on us.

Apparently there is a zoning law that says you can only have 1 recreation vehicle on your property and it has to be 8 ft behind the corner of the house

Really???

There is no one in our neighborhood that can have a boat or trailer in my development and from ,what I can see, most of the properties in the county. In addition, most people that have recreation vehicles are in violation of the law.

Right now, I’m trying to find out how to change this.

Anybody have any ideas?

I have no idea how to change it but the law is a common theme with zoning regulations every where. I have a similar zoning regulation in Delaware and I built a 30 X 36 garage to get around it. We also have deed restrictions that are more stringent. I have two boats in it and one of them eats literally half the garage as its 34'XX" on the trailer.

The only advice I have is to buy a larger property. I only have an acre and I know 2 acres or more is the tipping point for more relaxed zoning regulations. I know this is not the advice you would want to hear but my next home will be on a parcel large enough to not be bothered by zoning regulation.

From my experience zoning laws aren't enforced until someone complains.

I know my deed restrictions weren't enforced until this year and I called their bluff as they were selectively targeting certain restrictions. The ones they were targeting affected me as I also had a small cargo trailer on my drive way. Deed restrictions are more stringent then zoning laws. I met the letter of the law for my county zoning and told the HOA I'm your huckleberry, lets play. They are in the process of rewriting the deed restrictions to match the county code. I was willing to throw some money at a lawyer and they weren't.
    1980 Something Old Town Canoe
    2008 Native Ultimate 14.5
    2015 Coosa HD
    2016 Hobie Outback Limited Edition #56
    2017 Pelican Trailblazer 1000 (38# of portaging freedom)

Comment

It appears per the law that Ms Cravitz is correct. Zoning laws exist, but are only heavily enforced if someone filed a complaint, which seems to be what has happened.

https://ecode360.com/12149049

§ 415A.1
      Recreational vehicles on residential lots.
      Contrary provisions of these regulations notwithstanding, one recreational vehicle may be stored on a residential lot as set forth below. Such vehicle, except a truck camper, shall have a current license, may not be lived in, or otherwise occupied, when stored on a lot and shall be mechanically ready to be moved at any time. A recreational boat, whether mounted on a trailer or stored on land with or without the use of supports, is subject to these provisions. A boat less than 16 feet in length is not subject to these provisions, except when such boat is mounted on a trailer. The space occupied by such a recreational vehicle or boat may be counted as a required parking space.
      A.
      On a lot occupied by a single-family detached or semi-detached dwelling, one such vehicle may be stored 2 1/2 feet from any rear or side lot line; however, when in a side yard it must be situated at least eight feet to the rear of a lateral projection of the front foundation line of the dwelling. Such vehicle may be stored in any garage.
      B.
      On the lot of any individually owned row or group house, one such vehicle may be stored, provided that it is situated entirely in the rear yard, 2 1/2 feet from the side or rear lot lines.
      C.
      Such vehicles may be stored on a specially designed parking area of any multifamily rental or condominium unit. Such areas must be screened from adjacent off-site residential uses, as required by the Director of Permits, Approvals and Inspections.
      [Bill No. 122-2010]
      D.
      Except during a twenty-four-hour period for the purpose of loading or unloading, a person may not park or store a recreational vehicle on any street in a residential zone.
      [Bill No. 84-2006]
      Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Originally posted by Memory Maker View Post
        Anybody have any ideas?
        Aside from meticulously going through the zoning laws and trying to find something where ms cravitz is in violation and reporting her, I cant think of anything. I bit childish but no more than her reporting you in the first place. Depends on whether you're willing to stoop to her level.

I understand the well intentioned thoughts behind these regulations but they never work as they should. They end up affecting anyone who isn't wealthy enough to store their boat/RV offsite or build a garage (which comes with another slew of regulations).
        "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna
        Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

I’m going to see if we can change this law ...........

Comment

Working...
          X