No announcement yet.

Fishfinder (Lowrance) Issue - Need Input Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody figured out how to set the minimum speed on the Trip counter to 0? I still haven't had any damn luck.
    2018 Hobie Compass

Comment

Mark told me the trick for this, but I forget. I'll send him a PM.
      Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

I get the importance of the water temp but why the trip calculator? I didn't even know that was a function on these things
        Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

Ah my memory may be a bit fuzzy. I remember a fix to either the yak speed, or total trip mileage? It's a setting defaulted wrong in the lowrance firmware if you are using a yak. Memory is still a bit fuzzy.

Importance of trip distance is so I can guilt my GF into exercising when I tell her "I yakked 10.4 miles today, what did you do" haha
          Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Most FF/GPS units are designed for boats. They have a setting that distance traveled is only registered when the boat is moving above a certain speed. That threshold speed can be adjusted through the menus on the screen of the unit. Unfortunately Lowrance has not been consistent in where it places those functions as you move from one model to another.

The default setting (again planned for boats) is several miles per hour. In fishing kayaks, we rarely go more than 3-4 mph. Unless the speed threshold setting is adjusted to a lower value, the GPS will not indicate how far you have actually traveled. I reset my threshold to 0 mph, so that any movement is registered as distance traveled.

To find out how to adjust that setting, I recommend looking at the owner's manual that came with your unit. If you did not get one, you can probably find that information online. You might even be able to find a Youtube video that shows how to do it for your particular model.
            John Veil
            Annapolis
            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
              The default setting (again planned for boats) is several miles per hour. In fishing kayaks, we rarely go more than 3-4 mph. Unless the speed threshold setting is adjusted to a lower value, the GPS will not indicate how far you have actually traveled. I reset my threshold to 0 mph, so that any movement is registered as distance traveled.

To find out how to adjust that setting, I recommend looking at the owner's manual that came with your unit. If you did not get one, you can probably find that information online. You might even be able to find a Youtube video that shows how to do it for your particular model.
              Right, that's what I'd like to do. I've been unable to figure out how, whether through searching online or in my owner's manual. Lowrance just has one manual for every Hook (1-9 or whatever...helpful! Not!) and what's listed in there doesn't work for mine. I assume there HAS to be a way to adjust it down to zero...but I still can't figure out how.
              2018 Hobie Compass

Comment

Originally posted by mchottie View Post
                Ah my memory may be a bit fuzzy. I remember a fix to either the yak speed, or total trip mileage? It's a setting defaulted wrong in the lowrance firmware if you are using a yak. Memory is still a bit fuzzy.

Importance of trip distance is so I can guilt my GF into exercising when I tell her "I yakked 10.4 miles today, what did you do" haha
                haha exactly. I just really like to know how far I paddle each time out. For what we pay for these things, I don't think that's too much to ask.
                2018 Hobie Compass

Comment

Sorry this problem is giving you such a fit. I also like to know how far I pedal. Just curious, did the directions I provided earlier on in the thread not work? Maybe they were for an older model?

Hobie Fishing Team Member
                  Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                  2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by RavensDfense View Post
                    Sorry this problem is giving you such a fit. I also like to know how far I pedal. Just curious, did the directions I provided earlier on in the thread not work? Maybe they were for an older model?
                    Unfortunately not. Appreciate it, but like you said, must have been for an older model.
                    2018 Hobie Compass

Comment

Bummer. Good luck figuring it out.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
                      Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                      2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Working...
                      X