Native Propel 10.. for a big guy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Native Propel 10.. for a big guy?

I found a Native Slayer 10 Propel for a good price.
    I have a Predator Minn Kota for my main fishing yak but want one for my son (he is 10). I would also like to use it myself when I am lending my Predator to my brother in law.

I am 300 pounds and wonder if the propel 10 will be a decent yak for when I want to use it. It SAYS the payload is 400lbs and I travel light (just a couple plano boxes). What are your opinions?
    People who use the word "literally" wrong literally kill me.

I personally think you are playing it very close ......... especially if you get caught in heavy seas ........ don’t have experience with one but I just think you may be limited

Comment

I am 6'4" and 250 lbs. I feel very comfortable in a Native Slayer Propel 10. The boat is wide and stable. I troll 4 lines in mine in waves up to 1.5 ft. Another thing to consider is how much gear will you bring -- the more gear, the more weight. Unless you are fishing under extreme conditions, the Slayer Propel 10 will perform well.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I would be cautious. I own a 10', 12', and 14' kayak. Granted, all three boats have different hull design and weights, but for sure the 12' is much better in rough water than the 10' and the 14' is better than both BY FAR.

I think a lot of it has to do with the wave and chop being able to dissipate over the length of the boat. The 14' boat cuts straight through a lot of smaller waves. I have only fallen out of it once. I feel like the length also plays a big part (and this is the furthest thing from scientific) in that on a longer kayak, you almost always have part of your kayak not on the crest of the wave. On a smaller kayak, you tend to bob up and down with each wave coming through. Does that make sense?

Ultimately, I would never take the 10' out on water that wasn't dead calm.

For what it's worth, I'm 6'3 225 lbs.
        Native Titan Propel 12
        Humminbird Helix 7 MEGA DI/SI

Solo Skiff
        Mercury 6hp
        Humminbird Helix 7 MEGA DI/SI
        Minn Kota Riptide Powerdrive w/ Spot-Lock

Comment

Working...
        X