sold on the hobie life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sold on the hobie life

I got into kayak fishing 3 years ago and started out with my Ride 115x. It was a great fishing platform that offered easy customization, stability, and several handy features. I really enjoyed fishing on it, but boy is it a workout paddling around and casting all day. Battling wind and the current in the Susquehanna would make moving around and resetting a drift that much more difficult. I fished the 2016 CBKA tournament and somehow managed to paddle to the Camp Wright launch to the bridge and back against the tide and wind and vowed I would never do that again without pedals. Fast forward a year later I still fished the CBKA tournament, but it was a little easier since the wind and tide were not going against me. I could not help but gaze with envy at the guys pedaling around seemingly without effort putting in two or three times the distance over the course of the day. I knew I had to upgrade, especially if I wanted to do more fishing in the bay and troll. The longer I waited, more options became available as all the manufacturers were coming out with their own pedal drive. They were mostly the same though with the bicycle motion instead of the stair stepper motion of the mirage drive. Plus the other models were mostly operating at a fixed draft, while the mirage drive allows you to "flutter" if need be in shallow water or to avoid obstructions.

The question became, outback or pro angler? The outback would be lighter and faster, but I really liked the layout and features of the pro angler. Plus being 6ft 6in and 250lbs I knew I would not feel tippy on the pro angler. I pulled the trigger this spring and bought a slightly used 2017 PA 12 off the forum from BassMoore. I bought a Lowrance Hook 7 triple shot unit and some other accessories to rig it up to my liking. I had hoped to get out for trophy season but my work schedule and the to-do list around the house had other ideas, not to mention the weather cooperating.

I took off work and have a 4 day weekend for my birthday and decided to head out on opening day for catch and keep season on the flats. I launched from Jean Roberts Friday for the maiden voyage and trolled a couple plugs along the western channel and back across the top of the flats past stump point (water temp 73-75). No luck, but I was not fishing the whole time as I was messing around with the seat, mirage drive, and fish finder adjustments. I found a couple things I need to tweak on the kayak that only come from getting out on the water with it, but overall I was thrilled with the kayak and the lowrance unit! It did not take much effort to maintain a trolling speed, and the hands free aspect was well worth the upgrade. I could check a lure if I ran through grass, adjust the fish finder settings, check my phone, take a drink, all without losing a step.

Long story short, upgrading was worth every penny! If there is anyone on here that has been debating upgrading to pedals, do it! You won't regret it! Now I am thinking about adding a torqeedo in the future so I can hit a button and sit back and cruise on the way back to the ramp.
    Attached Files
    Jayce
    2017 Ivory Hobie Pro Angler 12 "The Big Easy"
    2015 Flint Camo Wilderness Systems Ride 115X Max Angler

Congratulations on your Hobie PA and your enjoyment on your maiden voyage. Indeed, those pedals can be a difference maker, especially when it comes to trolling big water and battling wind and current.

But keep your Wilderness Systems boat on the ready too. There are places and times when a traditional paddle kayak is a better choice than pedals.

You're now equipped for all kinds of water and multiple styles of kayak fishing.

I enjoy having that option. You may also.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Congrats, Whatever gets your on the water is great, but "thehobielife" is luxurious!!
      Matt (Formerly CB Kayak 02 "Over 3,000 Posts")
      CCA Annapolis Chapter President

Hobie Outback 2015

Comment

Welcome to the dark side ......

Comment

Welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It is alot more fun using your legs to power your kayak
            But always remember to bring your paddle with you
            just in case you need that too. Tight lines!

Comment

Originally posted by ReelLucky22
              Now I am thinking about adding a torqeedo in the future so I can hit a button and sit back and cruise on the way back to the ramp.
              Be careful what you wish for. I bought the torqeedo with the same intentions..... getting to the fishing spot... relaxing trip back to the launch... get back to shore asap if conditions get sketchy... etc. Its like kayak crack. I really want to be healthy and paddle but the torqeedo keeps calling my name.
              "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna
              Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

Working...
              X