Want to tag fish for science?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want to tag fish for science?

Hey everyone CCA has partnered this year with ALS, American Littoral Society, in hopes of tagging Striped Bass to gather data to help with mortality rates, the new circle hook rules, and fish migration.

All you have to be is a CCA member and attend a tagging seminar to become certified to participate. This is a really great opportunity to get involved and help the Chesapeake Bay. You can still keep your limit of fish, but if you catch more you can measure, tag, and release.

So far I have tagged 12 fish in my last couple trips out.

If this sounds like something you would be interested in contact me or check out the information on the CCA Website link posted below.

https://www.ccamd.org/citizen-science/

I am also the new Annapolis CCA Chapter President so be on the look out for more events, seminars and great opportunities to learn and become better anglers.
    Matt (Formerly CB Kayak 02 "Over 3,000 Posts")
    CCA Annapolis Chapter President

Hobie Outback 2015

Matt -

Congratulations on taking over as Annapolis CCA president. I think the Annapolis chapter should be and could be one of the most active ones in the state. Sadly, it has not done so in recent years. Good luck in expanding the range of activities. Personally, I no longer participate in tournaments, so I hope there will be events other than tournaments.

I have never done tagging for fish. There are some benefits to scientists of having tagged fish out there. One concern I have is that in their zeal to tag lots of fish, anglers may handle fish more roughly and leave them out of the water longer than they would otherwise. In the warm air and water conditions we have now, that can be fatal to the fish. I hope that those anglers who participate in tagging programs will be cognizant of those pitfalls.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Great endeavor- we used it in the fishing club I used to belong to- the Virginia Beach Sharkers...we sponsored NOAA tagging seminars and qualified and certified taggers. VB Sharkers coordinated with Dr. Jack Casey of the Virginia Institute of Marine Science at Gloucester Point and had VIMS scientists attend and participate in all our shark tournaments. My State record Great Hammerhead Mount hangs in the VIMS building...highly recommend everyone participate in tag and release...
      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
        Matt -

Congratulations on taking over as Annapolis CCA president. I think the Annapolis chapter should be and could be one of the most active ones in the state. Sadly, it has not done so in recent years. Good luck in expanding the range of activities. Personally, I no longer participate in tournaments, so I hope there will be events other than tournaments.

I have never done tagging for fish. There are some benefits to scientists of having tagged fish out there. One concern I have is that in their zeal to tag lots of fish, anglers may handle fish more roughly and leave them out of the water longer than they would otherwise. In the warm air and water conditions we have now, that can be fatal to the fish. I hope that those anglers who participate in tagging programs will be cognizant of those pitfalls.
        Thanks. That's the goal John, more outings to involve seminars, discussion panels, maybe some waterway/park cleanups. Also, looking for some ideas as well. I really agree the Annapolis Chapter should be much more active.

From the tagging stand point that is why we are requiring attendance of the seminar for certification before just allowing anyone to go tagging fish. That is certainly not want CCA wants is a bunch of dead fish with tags floating around. It is also important as an angler to report catches of tagged fish to ALS, each tag has a number, measure the fish and report to ALS the size, location and date recaptured and of course we encourage releasing again.

Hobie Outback 2015

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
          Great endeavor- we used it in the fishing club I used to belong to- the Virginia Beach Sharkers...we sponsored NOAA tagging seminars and qualified and certified taggers. VB Sharkers coordinated with Dr. Jack Casey of the Virginia Institute of Marine Science at Gloucester Point and had VIMS scientists attend and participate in all our shark tournaments. My State record Great Hammerhead Mount hangs in the VIMS building...highly recommend everyone participate in tag and release...

Thats great Ron, it has been a really cool experience for me so far!! I've tagged 12 fish ranging in size from 14" to 30". I've pretty much got my whole process for tagging down to less than 30 seconds from removing the fish from the water and then back in the water.

Hobie Outback 2015

Comment

I just joined the CCA and will attend one of the next tagging presentations. Unfortunately the one tonight in Baltimore is not in the cards for me but I will keep and eye out for one in the future. We are 100% catch, photo and release fishing so we can add tagging to the mix easily. I've already logged a few on the new DREC website they launched recently.
            1980 Something Old Town Canoe
            2008 Native Ultimate 14.5
            2015 Coosa HD
            2016 Hobie Outback Limited Edition #56
            2017 Pelican Trailblazer 1000 (38# of portaging freedom)

Comment

Awesome!! Glad to have you. Look forward to seeing some or your tagged fish!!

Hobie Outback 2015

Comment

Working...
              X