Oyster Toadfish Predator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oyster Toadfish Predator

Last week I got the chance to see one of the Oyster Toadfish predators while crabbing, a water snake. So next time, think twice about killing water snakes like I've seen most people do.

thumbnail (1).jpgthumbnail (2).jpgthumbnail (3).jpg

Damn nature, you scary. I never kill snakes, including venomous ones. Everything has a place in my world except mosquitos, kill them all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2015 Hobie Outback
    2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

I saw the exact same thing at St Inigoes 2 years ago. Awesome to see. I’ll take mosquitoes over biting flies.
      Mike
      Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

I am curious about how the snake got a toadfish. I don't know much about water snakes but don't imagine they can dive to deep water bottoms where the toadfish typically live. I don't question what you saw (a snake eating a toadfish). But I wonder if the snake dove and caught a live toadfish. Perhaps the toadfish was already dead or had been weakened by getting caught in a pound net and the snake was an opportunist. In any case, it is a great photo and observation. Thanks for sharing it.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Fish are the primary food for water snakes and they can dive under water for a while in search of prey. Madtom catfish are a common prey item, so it doesn't surprise me too much that one would scrounge up another bottom dwelling species like a toadfish. Great observation. (I have a strong affinity for snakes)

Also, my wife occasionally helps sample for terrapins. They use bank nets and catch quite a few toadfish, so they must come in to pretty shallow water.
          Last edited by Crotalus; 06-24-2018, 05:37 PM.
          Kevin

2013 Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...ighlight=Snake

The toadfish I saw three years ago was very much alive as it swam off after I startled or annoyed the snake.
            Mike
            Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

I believe I've seen more water snakes this year than in past years. However, I haven't seen any feeding like the photos shared by AmberjackYakin and Big Mike. Instead, I have observed them swimming close to shore and even in open water. As I've watched their side-to-side swimming motion, they remind me very much of a Zara Spook at work, zig zagging its way back to my kayak. No doubt, one day I will see a topwater explosion on a water snake where it becomes the prey.
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
              Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
              Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Toadfish regularly raid pier-side

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
                14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Toadfish regularly raid peir-side crabpots. So I know they are accessible. ,,.... question is, can they be trained to eat CNR?

Comment

(gasp, more CNR bashing)

Comment

I once watched a northern watersnake swim under some bluegills to ambush one of them. Then it dragged it onto land
                      where
                      it devoured the fish. This was at Great Falls, MD-side.

Comment

Working...
                      X