Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Headed to Carolina Beach for a week. Need guidance.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headed to Carolina Beach for a week. Need guidance.

The main factor that keeps the skunk on the boat is not knowing your water... or just sucking at fishing.

I’d like to think I’m alright with fishing, but I am headed to new waters for a week. I’ll be bringing the kayak with the torqeedo and my poles that range from ultralight to medium heavy to try out the kayak fishing at Carolina Beach.

Having fished lakes and the Chesapeake so far in my kayak ventures, I’m a little nervous about the Atlantic Ocean. There looks like there’s plenty of backwater to fish. Anyone have experience with which fish to target in an area conducive to kayak fishing?

When do the blues run through there? Flounder?

Thanks in advance!
    Native Titan Propel 12
    Humminbird Helix 7 MEGA DI/SI

Solo Skiff
    Mercury 6hp
    Humminbird Helix 7 MEGA DI/SI
    Minn Kota Riptide Powerdrive w/ Spot-Lock

Surf conditions will dictate if you can safely launch and recover...I would not take more than a rod or two out in the surf...and I would definitely have leashes...same with tackle..if you have the square hatch in your kayak I would minimize down to two 3200 Plano boxes and store them inside the square hatch for safe keeping...live bait fishing for Spanish and king mackerel is a blast...same with cobia...small tinker bluefish are great live bait as are spot, pigfish and threadfin herring...in a pinch most any small fish works, including whiting, but get out a hundred years or so and drop back a ballon float rig with some light tobacco colored wire and a live bait...at a minimum you will want a reel with 200 yards of 20 braid and a smooth drag- kings hit at speed that is hard to imagine until you see it...the first run is a screamer and you will think you are getting spooled...don’t use too much drag because kings are usually skin hooked and not hooked in the mouth...you don’t want to pull the hooks..I like the triple strong trebles for King fishing...
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Carolina Beach and Oak Island are where my family and I have vacationed for the past four years. It is where I first went kayak fishing. I have never gone offshore there but there is an offshore reef AR-378 which is close to shore. I would suggest fishing the basin at Fort Fisher while you are there. I have not been there in June but you can find redfish, flounder, croaker, and black sea bass there. The basin is full of channels and cuts that you can fish. You need to time your trip with the tide as the change in water level can be extreme to the point where are pulling your kayak across many low spots. If you are going to make a day of it plan to eat lunch and explore during low tide. You can also just pull up at low tide in certain places and walk across to the ocean side for a dip or surf fishing but make sure you secure the kayak against refloating. You will definately need 1) anchor trolley 2) GPS as making your way back in the channels can be confusing and 3) water shoes as there are tons of oyster beds. You will also want a cast net. You can get all your supplies at Island Tackle in Carolina Beach and there is great kayak shop in Wilmington (near Wrightsville Beach) called Hook, Line and Paddle. They can hook you up with a kayak fishing guide. I used one on my first trip and he was great. I think his name was Ken Moss but I may be wrong. Here is a photo of what my son and I pulled out of the basin on our first kayak trip.

Oh and don't forget to hit up Britts donuts. One of the best I've had. Hard not to eat a half dozen in a single sitting.

20140818_135732.jpg
      Last edited by jjflash68; 06-25-2018, 07:05 PM.
      Red Wilderness Tarpon 120
      2014 Papaya Hobie Outback

Comment

The only thing in the ocean down there right now is spinner sharks and black tips! Seriously, don't go out there. Fort Fisher is a good idea
        Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

The number one "rig" used by fisherman to troll is a 00 (size) Clark spoon in silver or gold and a #1 planer. Don't know how this would work from a kayak as it generates some resistance. Also, it is a pain because the last 15 or so feet is handlining as the planer stops all reeling when it gets to the rod tip. While there are a lot of sharks . . . my friend and fishing partner says they are catching 20 lb.+ King Mackerel. Like no other fish you have ever caught. I live in Leland N.C. and get out often with my friend in his 21 foot center console. The ocean is to be respected, especially in a kayak. I do most of my kayaking in the ICW and at Fort Fisher going for Reds and Flounder. Guys do go out on the ocean on a calm day and do get some awesome action. Nothing like a King and a screaming reel. BTW they are very toothy.

Raptor
          Terry Hill

<*)))><{ <*)))><{

<*)))><{

<*)))><{

Santa Cruz RAPTOR

Comment

Good point about respecting the ocean, Terry. The local attitude down there on surf launching is very interesting... they basically acknowledge that they are going to get wrecked either going out, coming in or both and all gear is stowed below deck/in dry bags for launching and landing. The surf is definitely a little bit more intimidating than what I'm used to in Jersey and what was a "good day" down there would have been "highly questionable" in NJ.

I saw kayak anglers catch kings trolling live bluefish and frozen cigar minnows on duster rigs. I also saw about 100 sharks for every king and the sharks were eating lures, jigs, spoons, everything. Those spinner sharks are the worst...
            Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

My good friend has lived down there for at least 10 years now. He said the mackerel and croaker are around, reds are hit or miss, and a few flounder are starting to show up.
              2015 Hobie Outback
              2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Working...
              X