Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Salt water and electrical contacts for FF's and Batteries.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salt water and electrical contacts for FF's and Batteries.

I am having connector problems on my yak. So, far this is the best spray to use: CRC 05103 QD Electronic Cleaner

Has anyone found anything better???

Thanks,
    Stan
    Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Dielectric grease is helpful too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The use of marine grade wire (tinned), in-line connectors and lots of heat shrink at every connection minimize corrosion...I was very careful when I wired the Lady Luck to avoid corrosion issues. I went to Backyard Boats in Annapolis and picked up the Hobie battery holder...talked to the tech about wiring and he gave me his opinion about location, wire and how to do it....there is only one connection in my system- the rest is one long Marine grade wire running from the rear hatch to the fish finder on the right side front tray on my Outback...two years...no issues...I swap out batteries after every trip and install a fresh battery, put the other battery on the charger...that keeps the battery spade clips nice and clean...got two exact same batteries from Amazon.com that are the same size and amp hours as the Hobie battery but cost one third the price...
      Last edited by ronaultmtd; 06-26-2018, 10:45 AM.
      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Agree with Brianisoutside, Dielectric grease has worked for me for 4years on my FF. I just clean and reapply each spring.
        John Rentch
        Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
        Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

That cleaner should be good Stanley and +1 on the dielectric grease. In addition to the heat shrink tubing, I have found that using liquid electrical tape is useful.
          J

Comment

+1 on the liquid electrical tape. Works wonders.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
            Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
            2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Good tips on the dielectric grease and liquid electrical tape. I will have to check out. I also made the switch to spade style electrical connectors vs. alligator clips. The springs on the alligator clips would always rust out quickly letting the clips come loose or not attach at all vs. the spade style connectors witch slide on and so far have lasted much longer for me.

Comment

^ I agree, good tips. I also use spades but my battery shuffles around too much inside the box, and the wire pulls out of the spade, yet the spade stays on the battery. I think a smaller box should fix the issue, hoping to have it tidied up and test out during the Slower Lower M&G this Saturday.
                Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Originally posted by mchottie View Post
                  ^ I agree, good tips. I also use spades but my battery shuffles around too much inside the box, and the wire pulls out of the spade, yet the spade stays on the battery. I think a smaller box should fix the issue, hoping to have it tidied up and test out during the Slower Lower M&G this Saturday.
                  Shove some foam in the box to keep it from rattling around. Pretty sure you can find it cheap at any Walmart or craft store. Pool noodle will work as well.

As for contact cleaner, I use CRC Marine QD Electronic Cleaner after each trip. I don't have indoor kayak storage so everything valuable comes off the yak when I get home. If I'm taking it off, might as well clean it.
                  "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna
                  Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

Originally posted by mchottie View Post

My battery is smaller than the plastic box it sits in. I added a piece of dense foam to fill the gap. It is a low-tech solution but it works and adds minimal weight.
                    John Veil
                    Annapolis
                    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by RavensDfense View Post
                      +1 on the liquid electrical tape. Works wonders.
                      I have successfully used liquid electrical tape (but it can drip and be messy, particularly when applying in hot weather).

013.jpg

These days I prefer to place a dab of Goop on the end of my finger and smear it around the gaps around the end of butt connectors or other connections. That works too.

027.jpg 012.jpg
                      John Veil
                      Annapolis
                      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I also use copious amounts of dialectric grease. I also setup a silicon sealed junction box inside the tank hull for connection the FF and battery. Pool noodles work great for stuffing the battery box. I also added foam to corners of the battery box so it doesn't bang around a lot during heavy wave action.
                        PigPen - Mt Airy
                        Native Mariner 12.5

Comment

Dielectric grease for me.

Also, disconnect the battery first before disconnecting the FF.

Comment

I agree, Dielectric grease, CRC cleaner & Liquid Electric tape on the ends and coating the connectors. When I used Sla batteries I found they fit nicely in a card index box and I would use industrial strength Velcro to hold it in place. I use Lithium now and they fit in my electronics pod. I use the same on my motor battery with Anderson Connectors.

Comment

Working...
                            X