I Might Never Buy A Soft Plastic Curly Tailed Grub Ever Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Might Never Buy A Soft Plastic Curly Tailed Grub Ever Again

It was hot. It was July 4th. I had an itch to catch a fish. The river was calling, but that would have to wait for another day. Instead I hit a storm water management pond behind a local shopping center. Did I mention it was hot? I fished for 15 minutes and caught these two largemouth bass. Since I've been getting into fly fishing with the fairy wand and making my own flies, I have also started making some jigs to use with spinning gear. My go to search bait when fishing for river smallies is a 1/8 ounce jig, a cheap-o Arkie jig spinner from Walmart, and a green pumpkin Zoom Fat Albert curly tailed grub. This is my DIY rabbit zonker version of that rig. If it works on Potomac smallies, I may never buy another soft plastic curly tailed grub ever again.

Good looking bait
    http://docirvcustombaits.com/baitbox/
    484-459-9863
    If you are not satisfied with the color or texture of your custom made Doc Irv baits just let me know and I will redo it at no cost to you to your satisfaction, because I am not happy unless you are happy.*
    *But if you are one of those people who is never satisfied then I retain the right to be unhappy.

Comment

Nice tying. The olive-drab color of the jigs match that of a number of sizable dragonfly nymphs that live in ponds. They match crayfish too. Bass like anything olive-drab..
      Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Tom, nice work, but your pictures are too small. I can't hardly see them.
        "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

haha. Thanks Rob. I'm not sure how to make them smaller.

Comment

Looks nice,

I use orange barred for crawfish, black for leeches, natural for minnows, and I'm experimenting with a green blue barred variety for bay minnows. One pack of those zonked strips lasts a lifetime.

I saw a website selling coyote fur for saltwater patters because they have low weight and aren't waterproof. I need to try those sometime.
            PigPen - Mt Airy
            Native Mariner 12.5

Comment

Man, I feel like I need to be more adventurous in fishing random ponds. I have some jigs very similar to the ones you tied that I picked up at a show over the winter. I have never fished them though, I guess I need to give them a shot.
              Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
              Lime Slayer 10

Comment

Working...
              X