Quick Update about Backyard Boats for Hobie Repairs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick Update about Backyard Boats for Hobie Repairs

The left rudder cable broke on my old Revo during this past M&G, which meant my rudder flopped around and was useless. The left rudder cable is the that runs through the center of the pulley on the rudder. I should've taken some pics. The place I used go to for parts and repairs (Bluhaven Piers) no longer works on Hobies, so that means I had to take it to Backyard Boats in Annapolis, MD or Woodbridge, VA. I've dealt with the Woodbridge store years ago, but I thought I'd take it to Annapolis since it's closer to me and an easier drive. It turns out they send repairs to Woodbridge. Oh well. It sounds like they only send shipments between the two locations once a week, so that will add to the repair time. So if you need a repair, it'll probably be faster to take it to Woodbridge directly. Fortunately, I have another yak but no fishfinder for that yak .

On the M&G thread, Mark asked about the cause. I checked out some of the new boats they had on the floor, and they all had a plastic or rubber covering over the nut that the cable runs through. My boat doesn't have that. So I'm not sure if that got missed during assembly on my boat, or if that is something new since my Revo was made (circa 2011). Either way, I suspect the cable got rubbed every time my rudder hit bottom and popped up a bit. I'm usually paying attention to the depth, so that's not something that happened very often or while going fast. However, 7-ish years of relatively frequent use probably added up. So it might be worth checking to see if you have that cover on your boat since it would be relatively easy to add (I think).

The right rudder line looked like it had some frayed fibers, so I might be replacing that side, too.

I'll post another update when I get my boat back about the timeline and cost. Regarding a ballpark cost, the woman that filled out the paperwork for me said labor is $75/hr, but they rarely charge more than an hour for a repair, so there's the starting point. Fingers crossed...

On the bright side, I highly recommend Wild Country Seafood, which is about 1/2 a mile away from the Annapolis (technically, Eastport) Backyard Boats. They have an excellent, no-filler crab cake, delicious rockfish nuggets, and fantastic fries and hush puppies. It's kind of a take-out place, but there's a bar at the window inside and a few tables outside. It's definitely worth a stop if you're in the neighborhood.
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Thank you for sharing the story and the probable cause of the break.

I hope BYB gets it fixed and you're back on the water in your Revo soon.

I took photos of my rudder assembly to add to your explanation.

Rudder Cables .jpg Rudder New.jpg

I bought this Revo last fall but it has a 2018 serial number.

My previous Revo was a 2012. That rudder assembly was very similar to my present one as I recall.

I think your 7 years of use without breakage is excellent given the stresses on that part of the kayak. The rudder cables have significant pressure on them when turning the boat hard right or left under speed.

I've noticed that those stresses are magnified (it's harder to turn the steering lever) while going in reverse with the new 180 drive. It will be interesting to see if users with the new drive have more frequent cable failures than those with the traditional drives.
    Last edited by Mark; 07-07-2018, 10:54 PM.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Cool. Thanks for adding the pics. The cable that broke is the bottom-most one in the first pic, and the nut and cover I mentioned are on the underside of the round, rotating part in the second pic.

Yeah, I have no complaints about the performance of my yak. I should also mention that I have the sailing rudder, which is a lot bigger than the standard one. I often fish when it's rough, and I don't let the waves slow me down. So, I imagine all that adds up over time.

I'd love to get a new one because the new seat looks awesome, I like to have my fishfinder transducer mounted in the water without using an exterior arm, and it looked like there were some other tweaks to the cockpit area. However, the price went up a thousand bucks since 2003 when I bought the Outback I originally had. I'm still using the original Mirage Drive with the metal sprockets that came with that Outback. I've replaced both sprockets about 10 years ago, and I replaced the idler cable twice (I think). The pedal bolts are rusted solid, but everything else is fine. Not bad for 15 years.
      Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Bill, the upgrades are awesome from the older model Hobies...you remember I put a Jackson seat in my 2010 Outback and that was a big improvement but all the other features like the reinforced scupper liners where you use a cart, the flat standup area in the cockpit, the adjustable Vantage seat, the small improvements with upgraded materials, the glide technology in the mirage drive...all add up to a much improved boat...and the New Compass is one of the least expensive peddle drives on the market...they aren’t cheap, but Hobies have stood the test of time in the real world of kayak fishing...the sailing rudder and turbo fins are, in my opinion, essential options that should be standard equipment on all Hobie kayaks...and I added a square hatch and bucket to my Outback that I use a lot...it has been a real help in keeping my lures and terminal tackle organized and out of the weather, quiet, and leaves my tankwell completely free...
        Last edited by ronaultmtd; 07-08-2018, 07:27 AM.
        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Bill,

My 2012 Revo was in excellent shape when I sold it. The boats hold up to strenuous use well. You're correct, that the price increased substantially even from 2012. It also got a few pounds heavier. However, the new seat and the 180 drive are really nice.

I had a fish finder with a through-the-hull transducer on my old one and a sailing rudder. The new boats are pre-drilled for fish finders and have a pocket on the hull for the transducer. I've decided to forego the fish finder and the sailing rudder on this one. I haven't missed them. But I use the reverse function much more than I thought I would.

I think many consider pedal drive boats first for trolling and secondarily for casting. I use mine mostly for casting and that's where the reverse is handy to hold position when the wind and/or current is doing its best to move you off of a good spot.

Another good cockpit change is the scupper under the seat with a pull cord to open or close it. My old Revo collected water that came over the gunwales in the seating area which led to the miserable "wet butt". That doesn't happen any more thanks to the raised seat. Further I can release water that collects under the seat with simple pull of the cord.

Lastly, the rubber pocket guards in the cockpit are much nicer than the older netted ones that would get lures stuck in them.

Hobie doesn't stand still with their technology. It will be interesting to see what changes they make in coming years.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Comment

Finally got my yak back. I'm not sure how long the repair actually took because they lost my number and didn't call me when it was finished. Total cost was $47, which is a bargain in my mind in terms of avoiding the aggravation of trying to do it myself.

It looks like they use a new type of line now with a slightly tighter weave:
            https://photos.app.goo.gl/cGsgVMwbnz7hW6bL7

Here's the old one:
            https://photos.app.goo.gl/AYRpRDSgfAr1h4s79

I was kind of hoping they would've put the plastic cover over that nut that the new models have, but the guy said they typically don't upgrade older models like that. Oh well. I'll look into seeing if I can just add it myself because I can probably just unloop the line and slide the cover over the nut and reattach the line.
            Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

I'm glad you're back in business.
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Comment

Working...
              X