Fishing rod holder for truck rack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fishing rod holder for truck rack

Hey all, was wondering if anyone has any ideas towards a rod holder to mount underneath my ladder rack for horizontal mounts, I've seen alot of pvc setups and ski racks but I'm looking for something low profile, custom if need be. Thanks for any suggestions
    2014 Hobie Dune Outback
    2013 Ocean Kayak Yellow Trident 13
    Rob

Curious to see what you come up with. I've been considering extending my roof rack on one side to leave enough overhang to mount a few rods. The main reasons I haven't are concerns over security and wind resistance, plus it's so easy to just toss them in the boat or inside the truck and go home. To solve the security issue I think you'll need to go with something like a ski rack that locks, but a motivated thief could easily just rip the rod out anyway.

When I had my ladder rack I used to bungee my rods on top of the rack, beneath the boat. That actually worked pretty well, but again it was just way easier to toss them in the truck and go.
    2015 Hobie Outback
    2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

I've thought about trying a snowboard/ski rack kinda like this to secure my rods. I've never actually done it though, I just toss them in the truck bed next to the kayak. Might be an option worth entertaining... just a thought...
      - Justin
      2017 Native Watercraft Titan 13.5
      2018 Jackson Coosa

Comment

I have two of those I have used for the back of my truck for security reasons. I have one mounted to my roll n lock and the other to my tailgate. Had remove the clamps and use molly bolts to hold them in place. Worked well till you needed to open the tailgate. Rods are 7-8 foot long so they fit perfectly on my short bed.

Put two roof rack bars up but it was just too difficult to get to them.

They do make a vertical rack that mounts to the bed and you can lock them up in with a cable. But it is a pain to do. I suggest a surf rack like this. https://www.surfcastersjournal.com/r...by-lou-caruso/

It can be vertical or horizontal.

On my surf rack I have a couple of padlocks that I lock on the but of the rod and it prevents rod removal.

Capt Mike

Comment

Originally posted by captmikestarrett View Post
          I have two of those I have used for the back of my truck for security reasons. I have one mounted to my roll n lock and the other to my tailgate. Had remove the clamps and use molly bolts to hold them in place. Worked well till you needed to open the tailgate. Rods are 7-8 foot long so they fit perfectly on my short bed.

Put two roof rack bars up but it was just too difficult to get to them.

They do make a vertical rack that mounts to the bed and you can lock them up in with a cable. But it is a pain to do. I suggest a surf rack like this. https://www.surfcastersjournal.com/r...by-lou-caruso/

It can be vertical or horizontal.

On my surf rack I have a couple of padlocks that I lock on the but of the rod and it prevents rod removal.

Capt Mike
          Nice, but expensive. Thanks for sharing.
          2015 Hobie Outback
          2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Working...
          X