No announcement yet.

Pelican “Hobie” kayak for $1499.00

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Before everyone writes off Hobie's offerings, I suggest waiting to see how the new Pelican performs once it is in production (and that could be months from now). Even if the drive unit looks like Hobie's Mirage drive externally, it may work differently or be made from different materials.

Until two summers ago, there were only two viable pedal drive systems -- Hobie's Mirage and Native's Propel. That summer several other manufacturers offered pedal drive systems. In almost every brand, there were delays in production and/or "learning curve" issues while the initial bugs were worked out. Further, shortly after Native introduced its Propel drive in 2014, lower-priced knock offs from China began appearing. They looked externally like the Native kayaks, but were made from inferior materials and did not perform as well.

More competition benefits us as users. It can help to drive prices lower and/or improve quality.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Yeah ........... I’m glad to see some Hobie Competition but the track record has not been established.

There is a guy on the Kayak DIY Facebook page saying it is better than the Hobies when it is not even on the market ......

Comment

I was out yesterday a few miles from launch when the wind got up against an outgoing tide...it got really bumpy with white caps and chop...the following waves were breaking in my cockpit...it was a miserable hour back to the launch...and I was glad I had a Hobie Outback..love my kayak...really do...buying is hard unless you get incredible lucky and win a raffle drawing...but the design, the materials, the engineering is tried and proven seaworthy and safe...when it turns ugly you have confidence it will Get you home..(and I caught fish)
        Last edited by ronaultmtd; 07-13-2018, 07:38 AM.
        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Just a little more info...watched 2 videos on it now from icast and they said it'll be 85 lbs NOT including seat and drive. So almost the exact weight of an outback, and I guess about 15 pounds heavier than a compass.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by yakscientist View Post
            Just a little more info...watched 2 videos on it now from icast and they said it'll be 85 lbs NOT including seat and drive. So almost the exact weight of an outback, and I guess about 15 pounds heavier than a compass.

And a Revo...
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

What is everyone's thoughts on using the new pelican in the salt such as the ches. bay bridge area or in the ocean. I'm a saltwater kayak noob. Just looking for some pointers in what to look for in a saltwater fishing kayak vs a kayak built for calmer waters.

Comment

Originally posted by ssmd View Post
                What is everyone's thoughts on using the new pelican in the salt such as the ches. bay bridge area or in the ocean. I'm a saltwater kayak noob. Just looking for some pointers in what to look for in a saltwater fishing kayak vs a kayak built for calmer waters.
                I would definitely wait for reviews on this kayak before taking the plunge. If the hull is modeled after their Catch series which has been out for a few years, it might be fine for the Bay, but I'm not sure. If you're a minimalist angler (you don't bring much besides a rod and maybe a small tackle box, lifejacket, etc) then this might be a good kayak for you. But regardless, I would wait for real world tests beyond the 5min youtube videos that are out there. Better yet, once they are for sale, go to a dealer and demo it for an hour or so and see how you personally like it. I've been on outbacks and pro anglers, and even a sport, for multiple hours each (and multiple trips on the outback), so I know which one I prefer. I may test out a compass and maybe even a revo 13 as well, but I'm 99% sure I'm going to go with an outback.

Comment

Going on 6 years fishing out of a Revo 13- on my third one- and I couldn't be happier to see a company coming out with a V1 mirage drive and new hull design. I won't own a hobie out of warranty because everything breaks. If the Pelican yak and drive are decent quality and they have a comparable warranty I will be in one in 2019. Hopefully other companies pay attention and get on the fin style drive bandwagon. They just have so many advantages over the bicycle style propeller design. At the very least hopefully it scares hobie into giving us a break on the ridiculous costs of everything they make.
                  Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

The V1 Drive they use is a re-engineered unit that Pelican has had manufactured- it is not made by Hobie and sold to them...and the mounting system in the kayak is a beast...early Hobies cracked down in the drive mount area due to the stress, later models had been beefed up to stiffen the drive well...Pelican has a square mounting pad that is attached to the hull..looks like Pelican took all the lessons Hobie learned into the manufacture of their “mirage drive” kayak...if the V1 drive Pelican makes is more robust, more efficient, more affordable, the question becomes will it fit in a Hobie...having a spare drive is cost prohibitive unless you have lots of disposable income (rich)...competition is great...it drives companies to do better, to provide a better product at competitive prices...and I have owned Hobie Outbacks since 2012...never had any issues with any failure of any type with my two Outbacks...nothing has ever broke or needed replacing...the drives have been flawless for me in all my fishing trips in all kinds of conditions...very durable, reliable product for me...and I don’t Baby my equipment, I use it.
                    Last edited by ronaultmtd; 07-17-2018, 09:11 AM.
                    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

We've all heard this saying: "You get what you pay for." My life experience has revealed the truth in that statement countless times in many different ways. When I see a large price variance in similar products, I've learned there's a reason for it. Some of the price difference may indeed be due to brand name, not just the inputs and workmanship in a given product. But unquestionably, quality, function and a company's willingness and ability to back their product either makes their reputation or breaks it. Those are the factors that earn companies the right to charge a premium price.

Pelican has a chance to buck the trend here. Can they meet Hobie's performance standards at far less cost? I hope they do. Competition in the market helps us all. But my guess is that the reason(s) for Pelican's significantly lower price will be realized eventually by those who purchase their boats.
                      Last edited by Mark; 07-17-2018, 09:06 AM.
                      Mark
                      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by yakscientist View Post
                        I would definitely wait for reviews on this kayak before taking the plunge. If the hull is modeled after their Catch series which has been out for a few years, it might be fine for the Bay, but I'm not sure. If you're a minimalist angler (you don't bring much besides a rod and maybe a small tackle box, lifejacket, etc) then this might be a good kayak for you. But regardless, I would wait for real world tests beyond the 5min youtube videos that are out there. Better yet, once they are for sale, go to a dealer and demo it for an hour or so and see how you personally like it. I've been on outbacks and pro anglers, and even a sport, for multiple hours each (and multiple trips on the outback), so I know which one I prefer. I may test out a compass and maybe even a revo 13 as well, but I'm 99% sure I'm going to go with an outback.
                        or a solo skiff
                        2015 Hobie Outback
                        2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Originally posted by silasvirus82 View Post
                          or a solo skiff
                          Ha yeah if that had pedals I would consider them. But like we talked about, if I'm going to deal with a gas motor it'll have to have room for at least 3 ppl

Comment

Working...
                          X