How many of you use electronics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many of you use electronics?

I'm curious, how many of you use electronics? And for those that don't, do you simply rely on your past experiences for where the fish might be? Or do you target places that look "fishy" in general? Or probably both, right?

Thanks,

Steve
    2015 Hobie Revolution 13
    2016 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

I fished for 5+ years without a fish finder and did well enough but then gave in when I got my Pro Angler and put a lowrance on it. It definitely improves your fishing. I really only ever use it for depth readings since I primarily fish less than 7 feet but it is still an invaluable tool in both new and old spots. I don't care how good you think you know your spot if it is tidal is constantly changing and new bars pop up all the time. A depth finder will help you find the new holes and then stay on them especially in moving water far out from shore. The X in my spots is usually no much bigger than an 1/4 of a football field and if you are off it you ain't catching and good luck finding the holes and drops if you don't dumb luck into them. Most of the spots just go from 5 to 3 feet so they don't stick out and don't make much of a show visually.

Comment

I find the electronics very useful in finding structure. And I troll a lot so holding to contours is critical to success..my unit has side scan, which I find especially helpful in shallow water...knowing water temps, the speed of your troll, depth and structure are all good information, but at the end of the day it is all about being able to observe and adapt to conditions...if you see minnows jumping, birds diving, fish breaking...that is where you need to be...if you are going to use electronics, get one with side scan...in shallow water it is indespensible...I set mine for the most detail at 3 mph and fifty feet on both sides...the white marks are fish...dosen’t Tell you the species, but it does tell you where they are...blue cat fishing is a breeze with side scan...you find the fish, anchor up and drop the baits...and I carry my vhf radio and share information with my fellow fishing buddies...as do they with me..
      Last edited by ronaultmtd; 07-18-2018, 07:33 AM.
      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Hve em but dont always use them. If I want to go quick and light which is why I prefer the kayak in the first place than I leave them at home. I usually dont use them pond fishing unless in a new pond. Out on the bay trolling or jigging is where I find them the most useful
        D Hawk
        Green Malibu X-Factor stolen dream
        Sand Malibu X-Factor The replacement

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
          I find the electronics very useful in finding structure. And I troll a lot so holding to contours is critical to success..my unit has side scan, which I find especially helpful in shallow water...knowing water temps, the speed of your troll, depth and structure are all good information, but at the end of the day it is all about being able to observe and adapt to conditions...if you see minnows jumping, birds diving, fish breaking...that is where you need to be...
          Yah... for sure controlling your speed is another HUGE advantage to electronics. Going down current you might be cruising along at 3 knots but turning and going up current is can easily drop to 1 or 1.5 knots and you won't know the difference if you are in big water till you either stop catch fishing or worse you start catching bottom. Def a big advantage holding channel drop edges too like you said.

Comment

I used to have a fish finder on my kayak but I no longer use one. I think the name is really a misnomer. It's a depth finder foremost. That's important information to know, of course. But it's not imperative for where I typically fish in my kayak. I'm a shallow water kayak angler. I don't jig deep water. I don't venture far into the Bay and I never go offshore. I don't even carry deep water tackle. Often I can look down and see the bottom while I'm fishing. Or I can stick my paddle in the water to determine depth.

What I'm most interested in are the things I can actually see without electronics. I can see current flowing and he tide rising or falling. I can see structure above the surface. I can see riffles which indicate subsurface structure. I can see eddies. I can see shade. I can see oil slicks in tidal water which indicate feeding fish underneath. I can assess depth close enough for my needs often by merely looking at shoreline contours. And of course, I can see birds working and fish breaking, the easiest of all indicators. Lastly, I rely on my experience in familiar waters. Fish often return to spots where I've caught them in the past.

Frankly, I got tired of dealing with a fish finder -- carrying and connecting the battery, attaching it to the hull at the launch, plugging in the wires, keeping them clean with dielectric grease, "tuning" it to the right screen, etc. I was spending too much time pushing buttons and looking at the screen and not enough time enjoying and learning from the sights around me.

I don't deny that the fish finders can help catch fish, especially when fishing a new area. I don't dismiss or deride those who use them. But I do quite well without one. I have a general idea of the depth in the areas where I fish. That info is readily available via on-line charts. Google Earth also is a great resource to study an area before fishing it. Depth changes in a given area are often revealed from satellite imagery. I generally know the direction of the tide when I launch. And then I look for the things I mentioned above when I hit the water.

I think my preference for simplicity on the water comes from my fly fishing background. I learned to read the water as I waded rivers and creeks. I learned then about the importance of current and structure and the myriad other visible details that indicate fish may be present. I essentially do the same thing now only I do it from a kayak.

Now, all that said, I do find one form of electronics extremely helpful in finding fish -- my VHF radio. I've often remarked it's the best fish finder a kayaker can have. When your buddies are catching and immediately share that info about what they are using, where and how, it's extremely helpful to make the adjustments they describe to increase your fish count.

So, fish finders are definitely helpful to some on the water. In fact, I've seen postings here where people said they were fishing "blind" without a fish finder because they had forgotten theirs or it was disabled. However, I felt I was fishing blind while I was concentrating too much on my fish finder screen and foregoing the critical signs available to me right on the water.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I own a Humminbird Helix fishfinder with GPS and a Garmin stand alone GPS. I used to use the fishfinder all the time but now I only use it for areas that I have never fished before. I always use a GPS when fishing to determine drift speed and troll speed.
              John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
              MK Endura Max 55 backup power
              Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

I've used various lowrance models on all my kayaks and I can't live without them! I hope to upgrade to a side scan unit this year
                Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

Great insight guys, just what I was looking for. Thanks!
                  2015 Hobie Revolution 13
                  2016 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Great question - I do not use one on the yak. I'm constantly looking at that damn thing when I'm out in the boat & get to escape it on the yak. I troll my 13 Revo with good results, hit shorelines with topwater and Jimy's with good results, and go all over the bay where I can find access. I don't yak as much in the summer, so that might make a difference. I usually fish the areas I've been with the boat so I know the water. Doesn't everyone scout the charts before hitting a new water with the yak to get an idea? Even if you are covering 15-20 miles you usually have a feel for an area based on reports and research. For example early June we were finding nice rock in Ebay via the boat. I launched out of Claibourne with the yak and worked the edges based on the markers and picked up nice rock without needing a finder. Dodging the other boats was challenging, but I don't always yak the popular spots. I was thinking about yaking in the masses off Swan point, but there is just too much traffic. I'll stick to the boat for now in that area. Love the Honga for trout, Breezy point for Blues, Armistead for trolling rock, Narrows for rock and top water, and Stoney creek for perch. Thanks, Dave

Comment

I have a 12 inch tv style one on my big boat..I put a sticker on it. The sticker says "Lying Machine". It is great help in locating big cats in deep water. Schools of crappie and fishing the bay it is needed like gas for the engine.

On my small skinny water boat I have one. A small one that I turn on when I leave the dock to get the water temp then turn right off. If the water is less than 6 feet why use it.

Capt Mike

Comment

I don't have any but am looking to get a deeper or something more portable and light. I do fish from experience then if that falls fishy spots is where I'm heading.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Comment

I find fish finders very useful for a variety of reasons most of which have already mentioned. Like some have said if you are fishing shallow water you really don't need one, but they have many other uses. When fishing the flats early in the season you need to find the warmest water because that is probably where the fish are. Knowing the speed you are moving is helpful. Several times when I have struck out trolling and casting I have used my fish finder to find good marks and I have jigged vertically with sting silver type spoons and saved the day. Marking spots where you have done well is helpful and another advantage I don't think has been mentioned is if you have one with a gps it can help you get back to the launch if you are fishing new area.

Comment

In life in general, I'm a "simpler is better" kind of guy. I still carry a flip phone, and generally don't go for gadgets. Well, in fishing I'm the opposite :-) I'm running some of the best electronics available and the images are just incredible to watch show up on the screen. Here's a folder where I keep the images: https://www.facebook.com/pg/chesapea...35685670032016

I've only run side imaging over the last couple of years because I never felt it was good enough until recently. Now, for shallow water fishing where most of us are the majority of the time, to me, it's now indispensable.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                            Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                            Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                            Kokatat Pro Staff
                            Torqeedo Pro Staff
                            Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                            Alan

Comment

Working...
                            X