Stake out poles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stake out poles?

I've been thinking about whether they may be useful. I am usually in the bay between the Severn down to Chesapeake Beach working the shoreline. I may start doing Mattawoman when it gets clean, but that's my typical range.

I do like to anchor sometimes to avoid the drift. Do you guys use them and are they truly useful in this area. I saw some posts back in the early two thousand teens about building them but not much else. Did you decide that 5, 6 or 8 foot worked best?

Thanks.
    Hobie Revo 13 (w/ graffiti removed)
    Ocean Kayak Trident 13

I have an eight foot fiberglass one piece that holds well in 4-5 feet of water with light current. I have a 14' yak fully loaded out.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Length of bamboo is also a cheap free way to go, used it with success in the past. If you're still on the fence after the others chime in you can always just try it for yourself and go from there.
      Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

Comment

I'd say just buy one vs. make one unless you are fishing soft mud bottom. The carbon fiber or fiberglass ones should work in the area you are fishing but guessing a pvc or bamboo etc.. one you will have a hard time punching it into the bottom sand/gravel and getting it to hold. I tried making one myself earlier this summer and learned that lesson. Only spent mayber $25 in material to make it but half of that is wasted (the PVC portion) as I couldn't get the pvc to punch into the bottom easily. I think (think) a slimmer profile heavier/sharper version make of carbon fiber or fiberglass would work better in the lower Potomac where I fish but haven't bought one yet to be sure. One thing I did read on-line that makes sense is make sure whatever you build you get stainless fittings. Some of the cheaper ones for sale on-line come with carbon steel threads and spikes and they reportedly rust out pretty quick.

Comment

I didn't intend to use it as a stakeout pole, but I now use the bottom half from a 2-piece, 12" 4 - 8oz surf rod that I broke the top section too. I removed the reel seat and guide so it was nice, clean, and uniform. It's rigid and works great in both soft and hard bottoms. I can use it through a scupper hole or I have a short line attached to it that I clip to my anchor trolley. Works best in water 4ft or less and when I'm not using it it sits nicely out of the way in my paddle holder on the side of the kayak.
          Brian

Comment

Bernie River Stick watch you tube video

Comment

Working...
            X