A Non-Fishing Kayak Story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Non-Fishing Kayak Story

We joke here often about entering the “Dark Side”. That means owning a pedal kayak. I have reversed that trend. My first kayak 6 years ago was a Hobie pedal drive. I started on the “Dark Side”. I still have a Hobie, albeit newer. It’s my go-to boat when fishing big water, a wonderful fish catching machine.

Blue Revo (2).jpg

Along the way during my kayak fishing journey, I discovered Native’s paddle-driven Ultimate. Like my Hobie, the Ultimate is a fantastic fishing platform. I like it so much I now have two.

Ultimate 5.jpg P1030617.jpg

I remember my first time in an Ultimate. I was on a guided fishing trip in FL and I was apprehensive. I had never paddled a kayak more than a few hundred feet and the guide told me we would be going about 8 miles! I wondered if I had the stamina for that outing. I did fine. That was the beginning of my enjoyment in paddling.

P1010271.jpg

Fast forward to now. After months of interest and research, I have purchased a sea kayak.

P1040004.jpg

It’s a Wilderness Systems Tempest 170. It looks nothing like a fishing kayak and that’s fine because I will not be fishing from it. It’s built for speed and distance. It has no pedals but I’d say my new boat means that I have gone far beyond the “Dark Side.” I’ll be on the water in a kayak for the pure enjoyment of paddling in our beautiful Chesapeake Bay, not for catching fish. Imagine that! I’m not sure I can grasp it myself yet.

I’ll still be fishing from my other boats. I’m not giving that up. I enjoy it far too much. I’m just expanding my kayaking experiences.

In preparation for this move I became a member of the Chesapeake Paddlers Association last January. http://www.cpakayaker.com/ Their forum, like Snaggedline, is a great resource to those interested in learning more about sea kayaking.

I joined them on my first excursion in the Tempest yesterday. I enjoyed it thoroughly. We launched into the Magothy from Spriggs Farm and paddled a good distance upriver, reaching areas I’ve never fished before.

P1030980.jpg P1030994.jpg P1030995.jpg

Now here’s an irony. For 6 years I have managed to keep my fishing kayaks right side up. I have never rolled a boat while fishing despite hundreds of hours on the water. My CPA friends changed that in a hurry. They made me deliberately roll the Tempest to make a “wet escape”. Then they showed me how to reenter, with great assistance on their part, I might add. Full emersion from a kayak was a new experience for me. Given the 22-inch beam of the Tempest, I imagine it will happen again. But I will be prepared.

Kayak fishing has provided me with more personal enrichment than I ever could have imagined. I’ve made great friendships via this forum. I like to write and I’ve published several articles and a book about kayak fishing. I’ve given presentations on the topic. No doubt I’ve traveled over a thousand miles on the water while fishing in kayaks, always enjoying the scenery in addition to catching fish. I’m really lucky to have become engaged in this great pastime and it continues to pay dividends by expanding my horizons. I hope it has done the same for each of you in a variety of ways.

So, if you see a long red kayak zipping past you one day, it may be me. (The Tempest is faster than my Revo.) I won’t be speed trolling but understand that we’ll both be doing something we enjoy and we can jointly thank the sport of kayak fishing for that.

Happy paddling and pedaling and catching to all.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

I read your last article in the local paper and thoroughly enjoyed it. I think your kayak only adventures will probably appeal to a broader audience for such publications in the future as well.
    2015 Hobie Outback
    2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Thank you, John.

I appreciate that.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Comment

Cool Mark! It kills me to paddle around and not fish. haha.
        Got some questions for you.
        1. Does your Tempest have a rudder?
        2. How do you transport such a long kayak?
        3. Where are you going to mount a rod holder? haha.

Comment

Tom,

1. It has a skeg, no rudder. I can lower or raise it from the cockpit. At one point yesterday, I faced a strong crosswind and I used the skeg for a short distance to hold position. Otherwise, the boat tracks very true without the skeg deployed.

2. I transport it on my van's luggage rack like my other boats. I use the same foam blocks that I rest my Revo on. (My Ultimates require different foam blocks.) I did, however, tie a stern and bow line on the Tempest because of its extra length.

3. No rod holders. That's what my other boats are for!
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Comment

If I were you, I'd tape a travel rod inside the hull "just in case." You never know when you'll run into a school of breaking 30" fish!!!
            Enjoy. You're a wonderful steward of the sport and pushing it even further.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Kokatat Pro Staff
            Torqeedo Pro Staff
            Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
            Alan

Comment

A Non-Fishing Kayak Story

Originally posted by Yak Fish View Post
              If I were you, I'd tape a travel rod inside the hull "just in case." You never know when you'll run into a school of breaking 30" fish!!!
              Enjoy. You're a wonderful steward of the sport and pushing it even further.
              After the first occurrence of this exact scenario there will be a rod holder installed somewhere, I guarantee it, lol.

Once a fisherman, always a fisherman.
              2015 Hobie Outback
              2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

John, Alan,

Thanks for the kind words.

Your suggestions are tempting.

I must confess that we entered a quiet tidal pond through a twisting canal during our travels yesterday and my immediate thoughts were, "I bet there are perch there and there and there..."
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Comment

Congratulations on your new boat. I must admit that I am surprised that you plan to spend time on the water without fishing, but if that matches your current comfort zone, then go for it.
                  John Veil
                  Annapolis
                  Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I get it. Before I ever considered fishing from a kayak I used to paddle with my family regularly. We had several general purpose sit-in kayaks and one sit-in touring yak. It's a pleasing experience just coasting along in skinny water taking in all the sights and sounds of the wild. Some of my best memories were among the cypress trees of the Lumbee River, or multi-day trips down the Cape Fear. We paddled a lot, and I occasionally brought a rod, but mostly it was just for the joy of being outside. It wasn't until I moved to the lowcountry of SC that I got serious about fishing from a yak, and rigging my boat for bigger waters. I definitely miss a little of that experience while fishing, as I'm usually catching tons of fish and have no time for nature , but when things are slow I still enjoy it the same. Now that I've gone full blown dark side I'm not sure I will ever go back to the casual paddle, but as my kids get older and they develop interests different from my own perhaps that will change.
                    Last edited by silasvirus82; 07-19-2018, 03:32 PM.
                    2015 Hobie Outback
                    2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Working...
                    X