Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you guys feel about Vibrio? Honestly.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you guys feel about Vibrio? Honestly.

So I pretty much just learned about this and honestly, getting a bit paranoid... People are dropping dead from this left and right if you read into it. Arms falling off, fingers, people dying. Two people locally around 50's lost fingers, both cases unrelated. I know it depends on age, health etc etc. But hell people are getting it from shellfish now too. No more Oysters for me, nope. Im paranoid about chasing Stripers this year now. I know you cant live in a bubble your whole life but Im not ready to die yet at 30... Comments?

You have a higher probability of dying on your drive to the Fishing grounds or drowning than you do from Vibrio. Take some basic precautions like washing after your trip and/or carrying sanitary wipes if you do get punctured by a fish. If you have an open wound, delay your trip till it heals if you think it will be exposed to water. A healthy person in there 30’s would have a very, very low probability of serious complications if by chance you did come in contact with it.

I’m 60 and I don’t give it much thought.

By the way, 13 people have drowned in Maryland this year so far but that doesn’t get as much airplay as the flesh eating bacteria.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

This is no doubt true, but Im a mechanic and like all mechanics Im all cut up daily. Plus I mountain bike pretty aggressively and Im always cut up, mosquito bit up etc...
      Last edited by NattyBoh74; 07-21-2018, 08:55 AM.

Comment

Search for my thread on what I tell people about preparation and you will be alright. Most people who lose limbs don't get medical attention fast enough. Most of us tend to self medicate and that is ok with most stuff but not with this.
        John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
        MK Endura Max 55 backup power
        Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

A friend of mine was one of the first reported in southern Md. with vibrio infection about 10 years ago. His came as a result of his leg brushing against some barnacles in the water. He nearly lost his leg because the emergency room staff didn't put two and two together. A doctor from New Orleans happened to see him after he had initially been sent home with little treatment and after 24 hours the infected area had started to turn black. That doctor knew enough to begin proper treatment. The odds of getting the virus are small, but if you have been on the water and get a wound that becomes inflamed/infected, make sure you give the doctors all the information. It's serious regardless of age and health.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike View Post
            You have a higher probability of dying on your drive to the Fishing grounds or drowning than you do from Vibrio. Take some basic precautions like washing after your trip and/or carrying sanitary wipes if you do get punctured by a fish. If you have an open wound, delay your trip till it heals if you think it will be exposed to water. A healthy person in there 30’s would have a very, very low probability of serious complications if by chance you did come in contact with it.

I’m 60 and I don’t give it much thought.

By the way, 13 people have drowned in Maryland this year so far but that doesn’t get as much airplay as the flesh eating bacteria.
            I have to agree with the above, read it twice. It is really easy to freak out about viruses and bacteria , but the airports are still open and kids are still playing in the backyard despite us all catching Ebola and Zika.
            Last edited by summersoff; 07-21-2018, 07:23 AM.
            Jay

10' Green Slayer
            13’ Red Slayer

Comment

Originally posted by summersoff View Post
              I have to agree with the above, read it twice. It is really easy to freak out about viruses, but the airports are still open and kids are still playing in the backyard despite us all catching Ebola and Zika.
              I had incorrectly made reference to vibrio as a virus above. It is a bacteria, in the class referred to as flesh eating, and alcohol wipes will not kill it. Again, chances are remote of acquiring this infection. I also don't worry about it when I go fishing. But be aware that bad luck sometimes happens.

Comment

A quick Google search shows June and July are the typical months when Vibrio makes its appearance in local news stories. TV stations report the more sensational stories. They highlight some unfortunate person with a serious Vibrio infection facing the possibility of losing a limb. What they don’t report is that the person neglected to clean a wound after being in the water or ignored symptoms far too long before seeking medical help. They also do not report that the most common source of Vibrio-caused death is eating contaminated seafood.

Other websites provide a measured approach to the matter. NOAA reports that on average only 50 cases of Vibrio are reported in the Chesapeake Bay each year. It cautions that poor information on the topic can have adverse economic impacts if people forego water activities due to irrational fears of Vibrio. Further, NOAA has models to predict the possible presence of Vibrio in oyster harvests by Chesapeake Bay location. As you might expect the southern and northern portions of the Bay are least likely to impacted by the bacteria due to their naturally higher and lower salinities.

Nationally, the Centers for Disease Control reports 80,000 cases of Vibriosis leading to 100 deaths annually. I saw no breakout of those fatality stats to indicate how many were elderly or had existing immune deficiencies.

Clearly, Vibrio affects many people each year throughout the country. But the chances of dying from it by entering the water with an open wound appear to be fairly low, especially if you follow the well-publicized advice on wound hygiene after departing the water.

As it happened, yesterday I cut my thumb while preparing my kayak for launching at Jonas Green. It was relatively deep and it bled freely. I cleaned it as best I could onsite, applied pressure to the cut, bandaged it, and continued with my outing. When I got home, I thoroughly cleaned the cut with soap and water and applied an antiseptic ointment. I know from research that Vibrio will manifest itself within 12 to 72 hours after contact. So far, so good for me. But if that situation reverses I will seek medical help immediately. I don't want to the be the subject of the next TV news story on Vibrio!
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Thanks all. I guess yeah, I'll keep some hydrogen peroxide and ointment and band-aids for the fishing injuries and not worry much about older ones that have already started to heal.

Mark,
                  do you think where we live is more or less susceptible to Vibrio? Some time I take the dogs into the water at Ft.Smallwood park, and other beachy areas off of Ft.Smallwood road. Same watery pretty much in the end...

Comment

Nattyboh, look up Maryland River Keepers. They have links for the water quality and bacteria levels for Maryland rivers. South River Federation is one of them.
                    John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
                    MK Endura Max 55 backup power
                    Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Originally posted by NattyBoh74 View Post
                      Thanks all. I guess yeah, I'll keep some hydrogen peroxide and ointment and band-aids for the fishing injuries and not worry much about older ones that have already started to heal.

Mark,
                      do you think where we live is more or less susceptible to Vibrio? Some time I take the dogs into the water at Ft.Smallwood park, and other beachy areas off of Ft.Smallwood road. Same watery pretty much in the end...
                      According to NOAA's studies, the Patapsco is not presently a high risk area.

https://products.coastalscience.noaa...t/default.aspx
                      Mark
                      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Thanks guys!

Comment

Working...
                        X