Meeting up with others in Harford County

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meeting up with others in Harford County

New to this group and new to kayak fishing. Past few years I’ve been bank fishing the Susquehanna in several places downstream from the dam and fishing up at Gifford Pinchot State Park in an 8’ pond boat with my son. Recently bought a used West Marine Cayman 11.5 and looking to find some people who know more about fishing the upper part of the bay and rivers off of Harford County or any other places to kayak fish within an hour or so drive.

Kayak is fitted out and I’ve had several outings. Came with some basics but been watching videos and modifying as I go. Last thing ( is there even such a thing as last? ) I need to do is mount my Garmin which won’t require much other than sourcing a small battery and deciding on how to get the wires through into the front dry pod where I’ll mount the battery and transducer. Assuming some rubber grommets and silicone caulk ought to do.

Anyway, saw a post somewhere about a group heading out maybe last weekend. So if there’s a good list for group outings, that would be great. Otherwise, drop me a comment here. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum and to kayak fishing.

I cannot help you with information about Harford County. I'm sure others here will chime in with good advice about fishing in that area. But your mention of Gifford Pinchot State Park took me back to my pre-kayak days when like you I fished the lake in the park in a small boat. My buddies and I had some great trips there catching LM, SM, rock bass and pickerel. We stayed in the cabins at the park several days at a time. Those were some fun times. One of these days I will get back to Gifford Pinchot in my kayak.

Again, welcome to Snaggedline.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I live in Havre de Grace, I only fish during the week as I work weekends but right now go most 1 1/2 to 2hrs down south as I find it more productive this time of year for what I like to fish for. Although I did catch a 20" lm bass recently on a short jaunt off HDG. A good person for weekend fishing is Blackjack (aka Roy Boyd). He's a great guy and always up for some to fish with around the river and upper bay. He goes out really early in the morning. There is a club you can look up on face book or their web site, Susquehanna River Fishing Club.

Comment

Originally posted by Erupert66 View Post
        New to this group and new to kayak fishing. Past few years I’ve been bank fishing the Susquehanna in several places downstream from the dam and fishing up at Gifford Pinchot State Park in an 8’ pond boat with my son. Recently bought a used West Marine Cayman 11.5 and looking to find some people who know more about fishing the upper part of the bay and rivers off of Harford County or any other places to kayak fish within an hour or so drive.

Kayak is fitted out and I’ve had several outings. Came with some basics but been watching videos and modifying as I go. Last thing ( is there even such a thing as last? ) I need to do is mount my Garmin which won’t require much other than sourcing a small battery and deciding on how to get the wires through into the front dry pod where I’ll mount the battery and transducer. Assuming some rubber grommets and silicone caulk ought to do.

Anyway, saw a post somewhere about a group heading out maybe last weekend. So if there’s a good list for group outings, that would be great. Otherwise, drop me a comment here. Thanks

Hi,

I have the same West marine Cayman with the same color and all. Here is how I install my Garmin unit. I use cable gland instead of rubber grommet for cleaner look.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. I’ll check into that FB page but don’t actively use FB so I’ll have to check more often. Wish they just had something that gave you group updates as I follow a few groups there.

Also, thanks for the Garmin pics. What bass adapter are you using there? I was trying to decide how I would adapt the round Garmin base to fit that space and it looks like you solved it,

Comment

Also, thanks for the Garmin pics. What bass adapter are you using there? I was trying to decide how I would adapt the round Garmin base to fit that space and it looks like you solved it,

It’s Scotty base #241 with Scotty universal sounder mount #368.

Comment

I'm in Bel Air, and I fish below the dam at the fishing park launch, I have launched at Deer Creek, and from Lapidum. There are pros and cons to each of those launches, particularly since we have not had any really low summer flows, and now with all of this rain, that is likely to continue.

If you are heading out on a weekend, let me know. I might be able to meet up with you.

And if you are going to be fishing on the river below the dam, I strongly suggest you watch this video - it's from Don Goff - the main dude with Susquehanna River Fishing Club. It's very important information about flow rates, and potential life or death situations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4202bQhmzCc
              2015 Hobie Revolution 13
              2016 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Erupert66, I’m somewhere on river every weekend, your more than welcome, just message me and I’ll message you details of trips! As Oldbayrunner , stated, I usually hit the waters pre dawn! Have launched multiple times from every location, so even if you want to try somewhere just message me. I’m not an expert by far, but Susquehanna is my Home! Just FYI , Conowingo fishing ramp has been closed for a few months, since spill conditions. That’s off the table but I have alternate!
                Snow Camo Lure 11.5
                Pod mounted 30lbs trolling motor
                Hummingbird Helix 5
                Kayak fishing and inviting! Doing what I love!

Comment

I may be up for a trip on the flats as well. Probably not this weekend though, I have a feeling its going to be super muddy with all this rain, and the dam will have either a bunch of gates open or it will go into spill conditions. Even if its not muddy the Bassmasters are in town so it will be crowded on the flats if there is any clear water.
                  Last edited by mi327; 07-23-2018, 07:07 PM.
                  Mike

2015 Hidden Oak Slayer Propel 10

Comment

Originally posted by sprirobass View Post
                    It’s Scotty base #241 with Scotty universal sounder mount #368.
                    Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by belairfishing View Post
                      I'm in Bel Air, and I fish below the dam at the fishing park launch, I have launched at Deer Creek, and from Lapidum. There are pros and cons to each of those launches, particularly since we have not had any really low summer flows, and now with all of this rain, that is likely to continue.

If you are heading out on a weekend, let me know. I might be able to meet up with you.

And if you are going to be fishing on the river below the dam, I strongly suggest you watch this video - it's from Don Goff - the main dude with Susquehanna River Fishing Club. It's very important information about flow rates, and potential life or death situations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4202bQhmzCc
                      Thanks! I’ve only had it about a month. I’ve launched from Lapidum a couple times and that’s it so far. Other years I’ve seen people launching from deer creek but haven’t tried that yet. I was up last Sunday on land below the dam and I could see several kayaks not far down. They must be launching from deer creek and paddling up, right? I didn’t get anything, had a small perch and live lining it and threw some plastic, nothing. Guy next to me got several with bloodworms. One decent perch and a keeper striper.

I’ll message you if I head up there. When I head up to Pinchot, I usually get up at 4:15 to be on the water by about 5:45 so I am not afraid of getting up early.

Comment

Originally posted by mi327 View Post
                        I may be up for a trip on the flats as well. Probably not this weekend though, I have a feeling its going to be super muddy with all this rain, and the dam will have either a bunch of gates open or it will go into spill conditions. Even if its not muddy the Bassmasters are in town so it will be crowded on the flats if there is any clear water.
                        I’ll reach out one of these weekends. How far of a paddle to the flats from lapidum? Since I’m new to this, I haven’t gone too far. From lapidum I’ve gone up to rock island and hunted around there for fish. Haven’t paddled farther than that though.

Comment

I’ll reach out one of these weekends. How far of a paddle to the flats from lapidum? Since I’m new to this, I haven’t gone too far. From lapidum I’ve gone up to rock island and hunted around there for fish. Haven’t paddled farther than that though.

I live in Belcamp and often fish the lower Susquehanna River, flats, and upper bay. If you want to fish the flats, you'll want to launch from Jean Roberts Park in HdG or Tydings Park Marina also in HdG. Launching from Lapidum would waste a lot of your time and energy paddling to the flats. As mentioned already, you'll definitely want to watch Don's video on the flow rates from the Dam. It's a must watch for anyone kayaking the Susky below the dam, and could save your life! The dam is expected to be in spill conditions this week meaning a high, fast, and muddy river.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
                          Jayce
                          2017 Ivory Hobie Pro Angler 12 "The Big Easy"
                          2015 Flint Camo Wilderness Systems Ride 115X Max Angler

Comment

With them opening 13-17 spill gates today the river is going to be out for a bit and fishing the north end of the bay is going to suck for a few weeks. The closest launch to the flats is Perry Point Park but you can't launch early.

Comment

Yeah, all this rain is going to put a damper on things for a while.
                              2015 Hobie Revolution 13
                              2016 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Working...
                              X