'Tis the season for white perch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Tis the season for white perch

A recent thread here appropriately addressed the C&R stresses on larger stripers if mishandled when Bay water temps exceed 80 degrees. Some suggested targeting white perch in lieu of concentrating on stripers. That seems like a good idea to me. I love to catch white perch.

I've read that an abnormal jet stream pulling moisture from the south has produced our week of perpetual rain. Also, I understand the jet stream may shift north in the next day or two and give us a break from the rain. It may take a few days for our tidal water to clear but when it does I will be ready for perch.

During our numerous storms this week, I did my first jig pouring, painting, tying and assembling in many months. Here are some of the perch catchers I made in the past few days:

Perch Catchers.jpg

All are 1/8 oz. jigheads using either size 1 or 1/0 hooks.

I'm not a stickler for color. I make lures with colors attractive to my eyes. I believe that if the perch are present and feeding, they'll hit what I offer regardless of its color. In fact, I've yet to find a color they will not hit...eventually. Of course, some days they're persnickety about it. So I will change colors if I get no bites until I do. But that's rare.

Occasionally, I'll use a 1/8 oz. Rat-L-Trap with inline hooks. But by far, I like jig spinners for perch, dressed either with bucktail or twistertails or paddletails.

Years ago, my go-to lure for perch was a Mepps spinner. They cost about $1 each. I bought them by the dozen from Cabela's. I guess they cost a lot more now. I've never learned to make my own in-line spinners so I don't use Mepps-style spinners anymore. Also, I recall they had treble hooks and perch often managed to get all three hooks into their small mouths. It's much easier to release perch from single hooks. That's another reason I like jig spinners.

Anyway, I'm ready for perch when the rain stops.

I thought perhaps folks could discuss their favorite perch lures.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

As a kid we used to cast to piers using ole#13 Tony Accetta spoons. I guess we used 5lb test or something less because they are tough to cast on my rods I use today. I do have one "Perch" rod with lighter line, but I don't go to the Tony that often. I use exactly what you made above for casting to structure. Love the Perch Pounders style. The Capt Bert brand seems to run at the right depth. The other knock off's ride much higher. I also love the mini twisty tails like you have above.

My latest thing is using a Trout Magnet to jig piles to catch smaller perch for bait. However, nice 10 inch perch will also hit a tiny trout magnet. If I'm out in the bay and deeper water I use a Specialized Baits L'il Bunker. We use the 1 oz. for everything, and perch will nail it. The smaller 3/4 work as well if the water current is right. I prefer the 1oz. which stands a better chance of a fat perch. Love Mepps, but try not to use them in the summer due to treble hooks. Reserve them for the pickerel. Thanks, Dave
    Last edited by kidrockfish; 07-25-2018, 01:38 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

kidrockfish,

Thanks for the reply. I didn't know what a L'il Bunker was so I looked it up.

http://www.specializedbaits.com/

It's interesting that perch will hit such large baits. I've caught several 10 to 11 inchers this year while casting and trolling 1/2 oz. Rat-L-Traps for stripers. I don't know what they were thinking. They couldn't possible swallow such a large bait.

In looking up your L'il Bunker, I ran across the L'il Jimy jigs. I honestly didn't know they existed. Some of my homemade ties are a knockoff of them, just lighter. Mine are 1/8 oz., although I have made them in 1/4 oz. size for stripers. It's a good thing I don't do this commercially or I may be hearing from L'il Jimy's attorney.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
        kidrockfish,

Thanks for the reply. I didn't know what a L'il Bunker was so I looked it up.

http://www.specializedbaits.com/

It's interesting that perch will hit such large baits. I've caught several 10 to 11 inchers this year while casting and trolling 1/2 oz. Rat-L-Traps for stripers. I don't know what they were thinking. They couldn't possible swallow such a large bait.

In looking up your L'il Bunker, I ran across the L'il Jimy jigs. I honestly didn't know they existed. Some of my homemade ties are a knockoff of them, just lighter. Mine are 1/8 oz., although I have made them in 1/4 oz. size for stripers. It's a good thing I don't do this commercially or I may be hearing from L'il Jimy's attorney.
        Mark,

Same here - I had never heard of L'il Bunker and looked them up. I might have to put a few in the box. Regarding white perch eating big baits, on our annual guide trip to the Susquehanna flats a few years ago, I caught a 7 inch white perch on a 6 inch X-Rap.

And Dave, I remember casting a very small Tony Accetta spoon when I was a kid fishing in Bear Creek for white perch...never caught a damn thing on it, but I always loved the way it looked in the water. I remember thinking, "If I was a fish, I'd eat that."

Steve
        2015 Hobie Revolution 13
        2016 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

I agree, the hooks look way too big for a perch, but they hit them. Last fall jigging around the Key bridge I hit some nice ones. You will also avoid the smaller ones using a 1 oz. L'll Bunker. IMG_20171028_093956735_HDR.jpgIMG_20171028_095059755.jpg
          Thanks, Dave

Comment

Dave,

Those are nice catches.

Here's one of the ambitious perch I was talking about:

P1030928.jpg

I caught it a few weeks ago in Crab Alley.

Again, their strike response must be pure reflex. I wonder if they ever attack something that eats them?
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Comment

I use MEPPS spinners almost exclusively. I don't like the treble hooks either, so I cut them off and replace them with a salt water single hook that I've tied chartreuse deer tail and a thin feather or sparkler too. Works like a champ. Easy release. I got sick of seeing small fish with all three hooks embedded. If you have the time a single hooks replacement on a cheap MEPPS works very well.

Comment

Originally posted by azmdted View Post
                I use MEPPS spinners almost exclusively. I don't like the treble hooks either, so I cut them off and replace them with a salt water single hook that I've tied chartreuse deer tail and a thin feather or sparkler too. Works like a champ. Easy release. I got sick of seeing small fish with all three hooks embedded. If you have the time a single hooks replacement on a cheap MEPPS works very well.
                Good approach. Some of the makers of larger saltwater lures use in-line hooks in lieu of trebles. But the producers of smaller freshwater lures typically offer trebles only.
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Comment

Here's some of
                  f my modified MEPPS

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice work.
                    Mark
                    Pasadena, MD

Comment

My go to for perch for a while has been a road runner jighead tipped with gulp minnows. I'm not sure if its a function of where i usually fish for them or the lure, but usually most that i catch are of keeper size ( 9"+).

Somewhat off topic, but has anyone had eyes on the lower severn today? I might head out this afternoon...
                      Ryan
                      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

@ mark - since bignose spinner is already trademarked, are you thinking 'smallnose spinner' ?

@ azmdted - those modifies MEPPS look awesome.
                        Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Mepps Comet Minnow is my go-to for casting and trolling...

61QNVh0gcmL._SX425_.jpg

For jigging...bunker spoon with a teaser 12" above.
                          <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Originally posted by mchottie View Post
                            @ mark - since bignose spinner is already trademarked, are you thinking 'smallnose spinner' ?

@ azmdted - those modifies MEPPS look awesome.
                            Michael,

I believe John Veil suggested that I call them "On-the-Mark" lures.

I like that.
                            Mark
                            Pasadena, MD

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                              Michael,

I believe John Veil suggested that I call them "On-the-Mark" lures.

I like that.
                              That was one option. The other was "Big Bange lures"
                              John Veil
                              Annapolis
                              Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
                              X