Thoughts on rod and reel selection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on rod and reel selection

I recently received a pmail from one of the newer Snaggedline members. He asked about what types of rod and reel combos he should buy for striper fishing. My experience is that Snaggedline, like any other group of enthusiasts, will have a wide range of opinions. I explained to him that
    he will get 10 answers to this if he asks 10 different anglers. I then offered my own thoughts on choosing rods and reels. Particularly in light of item #1 below, please do not take my thoughts as anything more than my own opinions. I am sharing what works for me -- I recognize that other anglers have different likes and dislikes and will choose differently.

Before giving any specific answers to your questions, let me start with a few basic principles:

1) There is not just a single way to catch stripers, nor is there just a single type of equipment that should be used. If anyone tries to tell you that there is just one way, don’t believe them.

2) Some Snaggedline members (and fishermen in general) tend to want the perfect rod and reel for each possible fishing scenario – they often have 25, 50, or more combos. Others, like me, realize that some rods and reels can work very well for multiple species or multiple fishing techniques. Despite fishing nearly 150 days last year and catching 50 different species last year, I own just 13 rods and reels (all spinning gear ranging from ultralight to medium-heavy and all within the 6’ to 6’6” length range). I have owned other types of rods and reels over the years but realized that I like light tackle fishing the best. I also realized years ago that I dislike baitcasting reels and heavy trolling tackle. I have little interest in flyfishing either.

3) Unless you are targeting only the very largest stripers (much as Alan Battista does successfully) you do not need heavy rods or high-pound-test lines. Bass fishermen often want heavy gear and heavy lines so they can winch fish quickly out of cover. For the most part, stripers are not found in areas of dense cover. You do not need to pull them out of lily pads or fallen wood.

4) Freshwater tackle that you already own is probably just fine for catching stripers day in and day out. Fresh water rods and reels are likely to be slightly more susceptible to rusting and corrosion than gear made for salt water. But the rods and reels I use (St Croix Premier or Avid rods, Shimano Stradic reels) are listed as freshwater tackle on the manufacturer’s websites. I give a quick rinse with the garden hose on my rods and reels after each trip. I see little evidence of corrosion, even after 3-5 years of regular usage.

5) To a large extent, you get what you pay for. If you buy a $40 combo at Walmart, you can catch stripers. The reel will probably get stiff quickly and the rod will lack sensitivity. On the other extreme, you do not need a $500 combo to catch stripers. My gear tends to be more expensive than average, but I have gradually upgraded my arsenal over the years. I watch for sales or classified ads to get good deals on high quality equipment. It works better and lasts longer than the cheap stuff. It is lighter so I can cast longer without getting fatigued.

Now let me offer some more specific thoughts about the types of gear I would recommend (or at least what I use myself). Yesterday I trolled four lines from my pedal-drive kayak. I caught nearly 50 stripers from 12” to 21” (most by trolling, but some when I stopped trolling and cast into areas holding fish). I used 6’6” medium-light and medium spinning rods with 2500 and 3000 series spinning reels. All were spooled with 20-lb Powerpro. I prefer trolling jigheads and bucktails with 3”-4” paddletails. The weight of the lead head is determined by the water depth (both total depth and the depth in the water column in which you want the lures to run). Other anglers like to troll crankbaits. If you have a crankbait with a strong swimming motion, you may want to use medium-heavy or heavy rods. Since I rarely troll with crankbaits, I don’t need the heavier rods. I have caught stripers up to 37" trolling with the tackle described above.

Today, I did a composite trip. I wanted to spend some time casting a small spinnerbait to the shoreline for perch in a tidal river and later wanted to cast 2” twistertails for crappie and bluegills in a pond. For those two rods, I used 6’ ultralight spinning rods with 1000 series reels and 10-lb Powerpro. I also planned to troll paddletails for a while, so I brought along two 6’6” medium spinning rods with 2500 series reels. That set of 4 rods allowed me to fish in several different ways (trolling, casting). I even threw a topwater popper for a while on one of the same 6’6” spinning rods.

I do not do a lot of deep jigging (often called light tackle jigging or LTJ). But when I do fish that way, I use one of my 6’6” medium-heavy spinning rods. Some people prefer baitcasting reels for that technique, but I don’t think it matters.

If you have existing tackle (whether spinning or baitcasting) in the medium-light to medium-heavy range, I suggest that you spend some time fishing for stripers using the same gear. You may find that your existing tackle works just fine. If you find that your equipment is impeding you in some way, then by all means get something else. But don’t necessarily rush out to buy new tackle just for striper fishing.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Outstanding advice.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Thoughts on rod and reel selection

I'll chime in. Like you John, I also use many of my setups to cover a wide range of situations. I have 12 that I consider my fleet, which includes 3 fly rods. In addition, I have a few other retirees that I plan to hand down to my kids when they are ready. In general I tend to buy mid to high end combos, and that has been the case since I was a teenageer with only enough money to buy one setup every few years. The first combo I spent any serious money on I bought in the mid-90s and recently passed that down to a fellow Snaggedliner who is still giving it a workout. That's why I buy good stuff, it lasts.

IMG_0755 (1).jpg

Starting left to right, the first setup is a Shimano Chronarch 201E7 with a recently acquired Phenix Recon Elite 7'1 MH jigging rod. I'll talk the most about this combo because I believe everyone here should own something similar. A low profile baitcaster/jigging rod setup is the most versatile thing I own. I use this rod for jigging, trolling, shoreline fishing, and bait drops. This rig goes with me on every trip and has landed everything from gator blues, snakehead, stripers, and more recently sheepshead. For a trolling rod weight is not a factor, but if you're jigging or casting all day every ounce counts. When shoreline fishing a baitcaster is much better suited with the added ability to control the spool with your thumb and make pinpoint accurate casts every time. Try doing this with a spinning rod and you'll find yourself either in the bushes or not in far enough on a regular basis, which means less time fishing and potentially less catching. This setup is also better suited for certain types of baitfishing, especially if controlling the boat is a constant battle. You cannot manipulate a spinning reel one handed. I found this especially useful this past weekend fishing around the bridge pilings at CBBT in swift current. I needed one hand on my rudder at all times, and I was able to drop my baits right against the piling and keep it there for extended periods of time. This no doubt plays a key role in catching those particular fish. I've had the reel now for about 4 years and it has been flawless thus far. The Phenix rod is a new addition, as a result of two broken previous rods, and has already taken top place among all the more expensive St Croix and Loomis rods I've had for quite a while. I'll probably never buy anything but Phenix rods from here on out I love it that much.

The next rig is a Shimano Calcutta TE 401 paired with a St Croix Tidemaster 8' MH that I've had for about 10 years now. It's a very well built reel and still as smooth as the day I bought it. I use this setup for larger baits and/or larger targets. This has been a perfect setup for umbrella rigs, deep water jigging, large swimbaits, and use with my down rigger. Really nothing but good things to say about this setup.

Next in line is my most expensive and beautifully built reels, a Shimano Calcutta Conquest 101. This reel was originally only offered in Japan and was their flagship round reel, but now they are readily available here in the US. Needless to say it's super smooth and like the TE, a total workhorse. Unfortunately it's paired with my least favorite rod, a Loomis Pro Green 7'2 Mod Fast action (so they say). To me this rod feels like an Ugly Stick (not meant to be an insult), but for the cost it is not what I was looking for. I bought this rod sight unseen and it is a constant reminder to never do that again. Gotta shake the sticks before you buy them. The Pro Green has proven to be as durable as an Ugly Stick though, and has survived many catastrophes that every other rod I had did not, including a turtle in the surf that claimed 3/4 rods on my boat. The reel has been absolutely flawless and a pleasure to operate, and the rod has turned into my favorite flounder and perch pounder.

The last conventional setup I have is my big game combo. An Avet LX 6/3 MC Raptor which has dual speeds and a magnetic cast control. The Raptor version also means it has a beast of a drag, suited for very large critters otherwise reserved for much larger/heavier reels. To keep the overall weight down even further it's paired with a Phenix Black Diamond Hybrid 40-60 lb custom built rod from Backyard Custom Rods. You'd be hard pressed to put together a lighter setup rated for very heavy gear that also casts surprisingly well. Biggest fish landed so far was a 6' mako, but it's capable of a lot more.

IMG_0757 (1).jpg

Starting into my spinning setups is a relatively cheap combo I bought at Dicks that includes a Shimano Sahara 100 and St Croix Premier 6'6 ultralight rod. I don't use this rod much, but it was purchased for trout and pan fishing which I do very little of now. I would not use this reel in saltwater as I know it wouldn't last very long doing so. It is a 3-piece rod I believe which is nice for backpacking or throwing in the cab of my truck for emergency fishing.

Next up is a setup I bought in SC about 6 years ago for specs and flounder. The reel is a Shimano Sustain 2500FG with a 7' Loomis GL3 Popping rod that I absolutely adore. This reel is butter smooth compared to my Ci4 which has a slight gritty feeling during retrieve. Both have my preferred handles, slightly oversized foam with bearings. While I prefer using this setup to the Ci4, it doesn't get used as often due to the power rating needed for the majority of the fishing I've done here in MD. I'm moving back to NC in three weeks, and I suspect this will start getting a lot more use again.

You may notice I only have a few foam handled rods, but I actually prefer them to cork now. Another Backyard Custom Rod using a super lightweight MHX 7'2 blank with titanium Torzite guides that were stupid expensive. I won't say what this rod cost me for fear of judgement, but it feels like I'm holding a twig. It's paired with a lightweight Shimano Stradic Ci4 3000, and the whole rig feels like it could float. The rod is a three piece, so and has been in my truck or backpack on virtually every vacation the past few years. It has a very nice action that will cast a spoon a country mile. Unfortunately, because of the snappy action it is also prone to failure, and broke launching a slightly overweight topwater plug down in Costa Rica. When it breaks again, I'll be salvaging the guides and building something a little less high tech for the added durability. Like my low profile baitcaster/jigging combo, I'd put a similar setup as this as a must have for every fisherman. This combo is extremely versatile, and rarely do I go fishing without it.

Next is a bait setup I've had for probably 5 years, a Shimano Baitrunner 4000D and Star Seagis 7'6 MH rod. I should use this setup more than I do, but I find the weight of the reel less desirable. It's really not a heavy combo compared to a lot of stuff out there, but it's more than I prefer. Great redfish or striper rod, and enough power to handle a cobia if you come across one. I highly recommend this exact setup for someone in the mid-range budget.

Last, and the only remainder from my first round of fishing purchases is a Penn Spinfisher 5500SS that's been around since the late 90's, paired with a BPS Gold Cup 8'6 MH surf rod. I don't use this much, but it's still a great surf rod and loaner when going after larger game fish. These old Penns had a great reputation and the fact that this one is still around performing perfectly is a testament to that. Eventually I'd like to upgrade this to a Van Staal or Zeebaas, but I just can't justify spending the money for how little this gets used now.

IMG_0758 (1).jpg

My fly rods may not interest many of you, so I'll keep these reviews brief. Every rod here was made by Steve at Backyard Custom Rods and remains to this day the only fly rods he's ever built. What you'll find in the fly fishing world is all of the equipment is way over priced, and one way to combat that is to go custom believe it or not. These are all premium setups that cost half what they would from the factory, using way better components.

First from the top is a 9' 8wt St Croix Legend Elite paired with a Galvan Torque 8. That rod is $800-900 new, and I paid him about $400 and used full titanium Torzite guides. A big reason most fly rods come with wire snake guides is to keep weight down and not alter the flex and casting ability of a fly rod. Going titanium here allowed me to have ringed guides full length, and still keep the performance the same. This rod will shoot line better than anything out there.

Next is another MHX blank, 9' 5wt paired with a way overpriced Abel Super 5N. I don't know why I bought this reel given it's cost, but it does the job so at least there is that. I'll never spend that kind of money on a smaller fly reel again, it just makes no sense. Overall this is a sweet setup though, and I’ve got nothing but praise for how it performs.

Last is a 7'6 3wt Orvis Superfine Touch paired with an older Orvis CFO I. This is my favorite fly rod and the most eye pleasing. I use this for dry flies only, and it lays them down softly. Like the MHX, it has titanium Torzite stripping guides, titanium snake guides in the belly which basically weight nothing, but what is unique is I went with a titanium Torzite tip guide on both for super smooth cast/retrieve. Again, given the lightweight of these guides, I was able to not alter the action of the rod.
      Last edited by silasvirus82; 08-02-2018, 01:44 PM.
      2015 Hobie Outback
      2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

I've been fishing for over 50 years and fly fishing for more than 30. I believe the quality of fishing tackle has improved greatly during those years without a corresponding increase in cost. Indeed, it was big step for me to purchase my first fly rod in the early 1980s, a 5 wt. St. Croix Legend. I had two young children in my household and I was still pretty low on the organization chart at work. In fact, my name was not even on the chart! Money was tight. As I recall, the Legend cost $210. It was and remains a quality rod. I still use it.

Over the years, I gradually added to my fly rod collection buying shorter, longer, lighter and heavier models as I chased different fish species on the fly. I stayed with St. Croix because I was satisfied with their performance. I still am. They are top notch. However, last year I wanted to add a 9 foot 6 wt. to my collection for pond fishing mostly. I could have bought darned near any rod I wanted, even a high end Orvis or Scott. But why do that to catch bass, crappie, bluegills and pickerel from muddy ponds? I bought a TFO Lefty Kreh rod for $169.

What a pleasant surprise. After all my years of casting flies, I know the feel of a good fly rod. The TFO is light, responsive and casts big bass bugs with ease. And it cost substantially less than I paid for my first fly rod 30 plus years ago. Now, I don't know if it will last 30 years. (I won't.) But placed side-by-side with my St. Croix rods, it appears to be well made. The handle and guides are clearly quality materials. I've seen no reason to date to doubt its craftsmanship. I have worked it hard during my trips to Eastern Shore ponds with no issues or concerns.

My point is that serviceable fly rods need not break the bank. Also, I believe that goes for conventional rods. I do have a few custom-made conventional rods that I purchased after my name finally was attached to a block on the org chart. But by far, my favorite striper rod in recent years is a $79 Bass Pro Bionic Blade. Actually, I got it on sale for $59. if that rod fell apart on my next outing, which it won't, it would owe me nothing given all the stripers it has handled.

So, we live in good times when it comes to fishing tackle. Top quality rods and reels are available. Their track record is proven and you can expect years of trouble free use with them. But I believe moderately priced gear will suffice for most of the fishing we discuss on this forum giving you excellent service and results.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Comment

Great posts above!
          Mostly a St Croix guy for casting and jigging, trolling with tiger lites cuz it don’t matter if I forget they are there when I am pulling into the dock filled with pilings.
          One thing, I also hate baitcasting, despite giving it a go ten times over the years.i think I’m going to try lefty. The reason I hate it, is my left hand is too spastic to jig properly. By going with a lefty reel, my coordinated right will be able to jig and pop lures as my useless left can mundanely reels. Not sure it’s going to work, so keep an eye for a brand new Lexa 200L in the For Sale Forum if this experiment fails.
          Last edited by summersoff; 08-01-2018, 08:59 PM.
          Jay

10' Green Slayer
          13’ Red Slayer

Comment

From a beginner's perspective, a $50 Ugly Stick combo will catch you a decent striper.

I've spent some money on gear, but I do consider myself a thrifty fisherman. Discounts / Sales / Clearance / Last years models / Classifieds are your friend.

To be honest, almost all my rods are Ugly Stik. I did have a nice G.Loomis in mind to pickup at the Pasadena Fishing Flea Market, but the gentleman in front of me grabbed it first.

I also just purchased two Medium Ugly Stik Tiger Elite rods, regularly 79 each on sale for 53 each. Upon receiving them, I wish they were more MH or Heavy, they have nice action but as John mentioned above, they are not really suited for LTJ.

I picked up a few Penn Spin-fisher / Battle II / Conflict / Clash, which are all relatively higher priced reels, but I was able to get them at significant discount watching for a flash sale or incentive. The spin-fishers were almost half-price, which is unheard-of. Also heard the many rave reviews of the Shimano Stradic 2500 & Ci4 on this forum, I was able to purchase two 2500 series for more than half-price as well.

Don't waste your money on replacing cheap tackle with more cheap tackle. Use what you have, and know what you're looking for as an upgrade, and be ready to purchase when you see enough of a discount you are comfortable with.
            Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Originally posted by summersoff View Post
              By going lefty, my coordinated right will be able to jig and pop lures as my left mundanely reels. Not sure it’s going to work, so keep an eye for a brand new Lexa 200L in the For Sale Forum if this experiment fails.
              It's funny that spinning reels mostly come set up with left-hand retrieve right out of the box and the right-handed folks I know use them that way, me included. Of course, the handles are easily switched for southpaws. But baitcast reels are typically offered in right-hand retrieves forcing right-handers to hold the rod with their left hand after casting with their right. You have to order the left-hand retrieve model of a given baitcast reel to fish without switching hands after casting if you like to cast right-handed. Fly reels can usually go either way.

I set up my fly reels for left hand crank and my three baitcasters are left hand retrieves. It just feels more comfortable and natural for me to fish that way. I bet it will help you also to hold your baitcast rod with your dominant hand.

Good luck,
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Comment

Originally posted by summersoff View Post
                Great posts above!
                Mostly a St Croix guy for casting and jigging, trolling with tiger lites cuz it don’t matter if I forget they are there when I am pulling into the dock filled with pilings.
                One thing, I also hate baitcasting, despite giving it a go ten times over the years.i think I’m going to try lefty. The reason I hate it, is my left hand is too spastic to jig properly. By going with a lefty reel, my coordinated right will be able to jig and pop lures as my useless left can mundanely reels. Not sure it’s going to work, so keep an eye for a brand new Lexa 200L in the For Sale Forum if this experiment fails.
                You're going to like the left handed reels better than right handed no doubt. This discussion has been had here dozens of times, but to me right handed reels make no sense for right handed people. Using your dominant hand to cast, then switch over to reel makes me wonder who the hell thought that was a good idea. My dad is right handed too and uses lefty reels, so I never was taught the wrong way. Fortunately, the market for lefty reels has gotten much better, including larger conventional reels which used to be right only. Why would I want to fight an 800 lb marlin using my weak arm, that makes even less sense to me.
                2015 Hobie Outback
                2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                  It's funny that spinning reels mostly come set up with left-hand retrieve right out of the box and the right-handed folks I know use them that way, me included. Of course, the handles are easily switched for southpaws. But baitcast reels are typically offered in right-hand retrieves forcing right-handers to hold the rod with their left hand after casting with their right. You have to order the left-hand retrieve model of a given baitcast reel to fish without switching hands after casting if you like to cast right-handed. Fly reels can usually go either way.
                  I think it comes down to how you were taught. Its regional as well. I spent some time in Australia and bought a fair amount of reels down there (they have a much larger selection of Daiwa reels). Everyone reels right handed down there. When I bought the reels, I asked them if they could switch them to left hand retrieve and the look I got would've made you think I asked to borrow his wife or something.
                  "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna
                  Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

Originally posted by silasvirus82 View Post
                    You're going to like the left handed reels better than right handed no doubt. This discussion has been had here dozens of times, but to me right handed reels make no sense for right handed people. Using your dominant hand to cast, then switch over to reel makes me wonder who the hell thought that was a good idea. My dad is right handed too and uses lefty reels, so I never was taught the wrong way. Fortunately, the market for lefty reels has gotten much better, including larger conventional reels which used to be right only. Why would I want to fight an 800 lb marlin using my weak arm, that makes even less sense to me.
                    Got me thinking here. I am left handed and have been using the reel right handed. But, that said. I golf and bat right handed and I am right footed so I guess I am a bit unique in that way. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Erupert66 View Post
                      Got me thinking here. I am left handed and have been using the reel right handed. But, that said. I golf and bat right handed and I am right footed so I guess I am a bit unique in that way. Lol
                      You should just get a reel with a handle on both sides
                      2015 Hobie Outback
                      2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Originally posted by Erupert66 View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        I'm the same way, I guess we kind of have an advantage when it comes to adjusting drag or flipping the bail. Maybe I don't know...
                        Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

Comment

I book several guides each year and use their tackle to see what it feels like. I also bring my rods too just in case the tackle is crap. Most cases it is not and once I liked the tackle so much I changed to that brand of reel on my boat for my customers.

Keep an open mind and cast cast cast to you like it or go to old faithful rigs.

This left to right thing never mattered to me with a baitcaster. I pass the reel over to my left while the lure is in the air. Never thought about it..

Capt Mike

Comment

Working...
                          X