Are launches clear of debris?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are launches clear of debris?

I've been in Kill Devil Hills for the last couple of weeks, and am wondering if local launches are clear of debris. Jonas, Dunning, Tucker St., Carr's Wharf, etc? The day after returning from NC, I picked up my new Revo, and am going to take it out for its maiden voyage this afternoon, then out fishing in the morning.

As always, thanks for the assistance!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Jim McFalls
    MSG US Army Retired
    US Army Field Band Jazz Ambassadors Class of 1998

2018 Hobie Revo 13 - Sea Grass
    2015 Elie Coast 120XE Angler - Yellow/White
    2015 Pelican Unison 136t Tandem - Orange/White
    Instagram - @jmcfalls1960
    YouTube - Jimbo the Fishin' Musician

Tucker St was clear on Thurs morning. I walked around the City Dock in Annapolis this morning and was surprised to see that nearly all of the massive debris mat had been removed from Ego Alley. I don't know about the other locations you mentioned.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Most of our Southern MD launches are OK...headed out early in the morning without any concerns...
      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Lowes Wharf is clear of any debris. Nothing around Poplar Island either.
        2018 Hobie PA 12 Camo
        2017 Ascend FS12 Camo

Comment

Congratulations on the Revo Jim. You'll love it.

The Chesapeake Paddlers are launching from Jonas tomorrow. I assume/hope it's clear.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
            Congratulations on the Revo Jim. You'll love it.

The Chesapeake Paddlers are launching from Jonas tomorrow. I assume/hope it's clear.
            Thanks Mark! I may see you in the morning...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
            Jim McFalls
            MSG US Army Retired
            US Army Field Band Jazz Ambassadors Class of 1998

2018 Hobie Revo 13 - Sea Grass
            2015 Elie Coast 120XE Angler - Yellow/White
            2015 Pelican Unison 136t Tandem - Orange/White
            Instagram - @jmcfalls1960
            YouTube - Jimbo the Fishin' Musician

Comment

The Tucker St ramp remains clear. There is occasional floating debris in the main stem of the Severn between the bridges. It is spaced far apart and should pose no problem for kayakers. Fast moving power boats may come up on debris before they can spot it.
              John Veil
              Annapolis
              Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Mayo Beach on Sunday had an accumulation of high tide sticks on the beach.
                I paddle 1.5 miles due east to 20feet of water and lots of tree limbs.
                I spotted one "log" 1foot diameter by two feet long. Clean cut.
                At the paddle in on the jetty was a five foot plank water logged.. I pulled out of the water.
                I didn't spend much time on the water Sunday... I was testing my new kayak (rod holder placements etc... first time on the water with it).
                At 1.5 mile out... it was massive boat chop.. well you know.. Sunday off South River..
                but it gave me a very good experience with the new yak in waves. I was happy.

Today I went to Romancoke. No debris.. paddled about 3/4's a way across and started chasing birds.
                Water clarity was very good.
                Lots of small rock... 10-16inches.
                Humid as all get out at 7am.. a little breeze picked up..
                Second day on the new yak.. quite impressed by it's build..
                Got to test it's "real" speed on flat water...
                Very stable.. never had a raised seat before.
                Vibe Sea Ghost 130 (13foot).

Comment

I joined the Chesapeake Paddlers Association this evening for an outing on the Severn.

We launched from Jonas Green between 4:30 and 5:00 p.m. I immediately noticed debris on the beach:

P1040071.jpg

It was difficult to find a clear break in the driftwood on the beach to put our boats in the water.

We headed south toward the Bay. There was a lot of floating wood near the fishing pier and the USNA Bridge:

P1040041.jpg

It got worse the farther south we went:

P1040048.jpg

I was clunking into wood on almost ever stroke. There is no way I could have trolled through it had I been fishing.

This the largest log I saw in terms of diameter:

P1040046.jpg

However, I also saw branches 10 feet long floating. The worst though were the planks evidently ripped from piers. I saw some that had nails protruding through them. I was running a slalom course to avoid the planks for a while.

We continued south to the USNA marina where the Navy's Yard Patrol (YP) boats are docked. The debris field seemed to lessen but the wind and waves drove some of us back to the north. It was really choppy out there with 2 to 3 footers and waves refracting off the USNA bulkhead. I couldn't take my hands off the paddle to photograph the waves. My main concern was staying upright! Which I did.

So we turned around a paddled about a mile past the Route 50 bridge exploring a few of the tidal ponds along the way. There was less wind and far less debris between the bridges. And I saw none north of the Route 50 bridge:

P1040063.jpg

So at least for tonight, aside from a littered Jonas Green beach and debris near the USNA Bridge and south, the Severn was fairly clear between the bridges and above them.

It was a beautiful evening for a paddle. For what it's worth, I saw only a single school of baitfish surface and that was far north of the Route 50 Bridge. Maybe they want to avoid driftwood too!
                  Mark
                  Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                  Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                  Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
                  X