how to determin reel size?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to determin reel size?

Im sure you guys are tired of seeing my posts But Im trying to set up a few lost cost options to get my feet wet with Striper fishing. I know I cna use my current gear, but if I can spend little and have some dedicated Striper gear, Im good with that. Im going to run 20# PowerPro line.

I Know the sizing from one brand to another isnt always the same but generally speaking, I see 2500 and 3000 series reels mentioned. Im looking at the Daiwa BG and the Penn Battle II most likely. Are they the same size, as is in one brands 2500 the same as the others?

Also, I plan on using one reel to throw some top water possibly/cranks and one to troll. Would I use a 3000 for both of those styles? Or would a 3000 be too large? I have 30 series Presidents now, would that be equivalent tot he Daiwa BG/Battle II size wise? ( just so I have an idea on the size )

Last thing, might be a stupid question but can you troll spinning tackle or would/could there be an issue some how? I honestly dont know.

Thanks!

It’s more fun to catch them on the smaller sizes.
    If your looking at penn battles get the smaller size. Another comparable is the Okuma ceymar, I like the cbf40.
    My only complaint about the battles is the rods are a bit heavy.
    My go to is an ceymar and the abu Garcia vendetta. It’s much lighter and I think the Okuma is smoother.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The Diawa BG 2500 is about the capacity of a 3000 Shimano...and I highly recommend the BG..can’t beat it for the money...pair it with a Fenwick HMG 7’ medium rod with 20# braid...you are good to go...troll, cast, do it all with one outfit...
      Last edited by ronaultmtd; 08-05-2018, 08:05 PM.
      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

As far as I know, you already have the lowest cost options -- the gear you presently own per your own descriptions is more than adequate for stripers and that includes trolling and casting. But you seem determined to buy more! The reel options you mentioned are fine.

For topwater stripers, you should consider the rod's action as much or more so than the reel. Your present 3000 series reels will work. You could even drop down to 2500 series reels if you wanted to conserve weight. That's the size of reels I use.

But in terms of a rod, a slower action rod is considered by many to be better for topwater. I certainly find that to be true. In fact, while I have several conventional spinning rods with moderate to fast actions that I use for both casting and trolling, I have a single spinning rod that I use exclusively for topwater. It's a slow action 7-foot rod that I had built for the purpose. It launches long casts, has excellent sensitivity and just enough elasticity via its slow action to ensure topwater hookups. It has served me very well.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I agree with the rest but would like to add something. I read something from DNR requesting sport fishers from not going too light of tackle for stripers right now. Although it is more fun to catch and adds to the fight they are stating with the current water conditions that it adds to the mortality rate of the fish as they become more fatigued and have a harder time recovering.

Comment

I think kayak fishermen have unique ability and opportunities to revive fish due to being so close to the water...holding the fish by the lower lip and moving the kayak forward to revive fish with moving water across its gills is an acknowledged and approved method...and you know if a fish is in great shape or not...if it isn’t it is up to us to revive the fish until it is fighting to get free...what we call light tackle really is just matching the tackle to the size of the fish you expect to catch...it isn’t a 40 to one or more ratio you see on the Wide World Of Sportsman show where they chase giant black marlin with 6 pound test line...using ten pound test line to catch a six pound fish is just “sporting”...

Comment

Daiwas tend to run a little bigger than others. I use a 2500 BG, and I find it to be the ideal size. I use it for everything, from trolling to casting anything from 1/8 to 3/4 oz. It is big enough to handle larger fish, but small enough to still be fun with schoolies.
              Joe

2020 Vibe Shearwater 125

Comment

Originally posted by Oldbayrunner View Post
                I agree with the rest but would like to add something. I read something from DNR requesting sport fishers from not going too light of tackle for stripers right now. Although it is more fun to catch and adds to the fight they are stating with the current water conditions that it adds to the mortality rate of the fish as they become more fatigued and have a harder time recovering.
                I have to agree with this. As much as I love to hear my drag screaming and a nice long fight, I still go with larger reels in the 4000-5000 size. I can tone the drag down and get the same results, but I can also tighten it up and get that fish in fast and released. I also like it because it can be scaled up for larger fish. If there was one downside it would be casting distance, but to be honest, I rarely find the need to cast further than 100ft.

Ill second or third the Daiwa BG recommendation. The two I have have been tanks. Dunked, sanded, silted, etc and still smooth as butter.
                "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna
                Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

Thanks guys. I think I'll get two of them and throw some 20# PP on it and be done.

Just have to settle on two rods now.

Comment

I switched from Penn reels to Diawa BG this year. As mentioned above the 2500 is perfect for your average, everyday fishing in the bay. I also have a 3500. It's a little overkill for schoolie stripers, but I purchased with bigger fish in mind; and it did a good with bull drum this spring.

The BG 3500 is about the same size as my Penn Spinfisher V 4500.

My only complaint with the BG is that I had to open up both of the reels to re-grease them only after a few uses. I could feel them starting to slow down. After that, they've been smooth as can be.

If you're like me, to get a feel for a reels size, I have to see and feel the reel in my hand to get an idea if it it'll work for me. I suggest just stopping by your local tackle shop, bringing in your rod, and putting a few different reels in the reel seat to see how they feel.
                    Brian

Comment

Appreciate it. I'd most likely just go to BPS and see if they have it.

I was debating between the Battle II and the BG. The BG seems like the goto..

Comment

I own both, and I feel the BG is the superior reel. BPS should have both in stock.
                        Joe

2020 Vibe Shearwater 125

Comment

It's not just about the # test line one uses. One has to consider that coupled with the size reel also the rod action. You can take a 10# braid line, put it on a 1000 - 2000 reel coupled with a medium light, light or ultra light rod opposed to a 2500-3000 reel an a medium or medium heavy rod, that lighter combo will almost double or more the time it takes to reel the same size fish causing more fatigue. I believe that is what the DNR is requesting fishermen not do with stipers currently.

I use a Battle ll as one of my reels but IMO you can't go wrong with either.
                          Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 08-08-2018, 09:18 AM.

Comment

Seriously, the talk about how long it takes to land a fish on light tackle depends entirely on the skill and experience levels of the person holding the rod...using overly heavy tackle trying to “horse” in a green fish most likely will have two outcomes, depending on the lure used, bent hooks and a lost fish or torn mouth and a lost fish. Using broomstick charterboat marlin tackle catching 2# fish is like shooting fish in a barrel...I do it offshore party boat meat fishing, but not in a kayak...the worst beating I ever took from a fish was 12 hour’s and ten minutes on standup 80# tuna tackle...the second worst was a fifty five pound amberjack on a 20# outfit...every fish species is different...Stripers are OK, but they are not the fighters of the fish world like some other species are...

Comment

I would add to what Ron said that stripers in general are not long fighting fish. They tire fast. Admittedly, I don't catch the beasts I see pictured here by some anglers. But I've caught plenty in the mid-20 inch range. They're never on the line more than a few minutes with my medium light rods. They'll make a short run on the drag and then they're easy to turn toward the boat.

I think stripers have a better chance for survival caught by me than caught by a troller using a heavy rod in a powerboat. I hear boat chatter all the time on my VHF radio about the "shorts" anglers toss back. Those caught trolling and dragged goodness knows how long on heavy tackle and the gut hooked fish caught with bait are ones I feel sorry for. I'm guessing they're predominantly the ones we see floating.
                              Mark
                              Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                              Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                              Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
                              X