Knots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knots

Determining reel size post brings up line capacity and line weights...pretty much meaningless if you cannot tie decent knots...a word or two of advice...don’t tie knots “on the water” unless there is no other way...at home, with good light, under perfect conditions, many of my best knots fail during testing...they were done right, but somehow they fail...I tied five new leaders on five of my spinning outfits...the braid on these five reels ran from 10 to 20 pound test, but the leader was all 20# Trielene XT...the knots were the same FG knot...22 turn FG knots...carefully tied, carefully tightened and secured...yet some still failed under extreme pressure during my tests...and the FG knot is (in my opinion) the best braid to leader knot to use. Another tip...after testing I use a dab of 3M rubber cement on the knot...and at the end of the leader I use Mustad fastach clip tied on with Albright knot and a dab of cement on that knot...unless my line gets cut by shells or barnacles, it won’t break until it reaches its breaking test strength...I am obsessed by knot tying being the weakest link in the fishing chain...using 10 pound braid on my Stradic CI4+ and 7’ St. Croix mojo inshore rod, I can cast light lures the proverbial mile...much, much farther than with 20# braid...and when I hook up, I know I could actually break my rod before the 10# line breaks...so tying 100% strength of test knots is a skill you have to practice, practice and test, test and test some more...Practical Fishing Knots by Lefty Krey...great resource or the software “knot wars” on your smart phone is a great place to start...You Tube vids are great too..one further thought...cut off a rod length’s of braid when you go to tie new leaders...the wear and tear of the first 7-10 feet of line after three or four trips makes this a good practice to get into...
    Last edited by ronaultmtd; 08-06-2018, 09:37 AM.
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
    a word or two of advice...don’t tie knots “on the water” unless there is no other way...
    I don't know how many times Ive cut open the crease in my fingers by trying to tie knots on the water. As kayakers, our hands are always more than likely in some state of dampness making braid cuts much more likely to occur. What Ive started doing is bringing a couple of those leather finger sleeves that people use for surf casting and putting those on my fingers when tightening knots. My fingers have never been happier.

Which reminds me, I still have to get around to making a video for how I tie FG's on the water.
    "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna
    Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

I agree that pre-rigging your rods and tying good knots on land is preferred. But I end up tying knots on the water all the time. And in all conditions be it choppy, windy, nighttime, etc. Mostly when I need to replace a leader, cut off a shark or ray, or change a lure when I am not using a TA clip, so Alberto knots, loop knots, Trilene knots, hook snell.

Its really not that hard to do on the water if you choose simple knots with minimal steps and use knots that you know like the back of your hand. Tying on the water in a kayak is no different than what you mentioned above.... its a skill you have to practice, practice and test, test and test some more
      Brian

Comment

I had double uni knot fail on me at the July meet & greet. I did a little research, and found that the surgeons loop got high grades for strength for braid to mono. As a small stream fly fisher, I have used the triple surgeons loop hundreds (if not thousands) of times to tie tippet to leader. I read an article that said when tying braid to mono, use 6 loops. Ronaultmtd, have you ever tested the surgeons loop?
        2015 Hobie Revolution 13
        2016 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Plenty of videos on YouTube for knots if your scratching your head with these knot names.
          For me the easiest leader knot has been the surgeons knot, anything else I usually use the palomar knot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I don’t even carry leader material on my yak...carry spare pre-rigged rods...fish two trolling and have two spares in the rod racks...bait fishing, got two in the water, two spares in the rack...just the way I roll...if something happens to a rod or lose the leader, I put it away and grab a spare...when I get home, take care of it then...not to say I don’t change rigs and lures on the water, because I do...a lot-changing lures with the Mustad fastach clip is fast simple and secure...
            Last edited by ronaultmtd; 08-06-2018, 12:40 PM.

Comment

FG knot?

Comment

I've used surgeons knots for years when constructing fly fishing leaders and tying tippets to my leaders. It's an excellent knot that's easy to tie and very strong.
                But I never thought of using it to tie a leader to braid. I may try that the next time I change leaders on braided line. However, I enjoy tying the double uni. I've done it on the water but it's easier at home, for sure. I especially like the last step in the double uni where the two knots slide together. Just seems like the perfect ending to a job well done.
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Surgeon's loop to loop, braid to mono / fluoro +1. (Old fly fisherman resorting to old habits!)
                  I've been using them since I converted to braid many years ago. I find these much easier to tie than the Uni-to-Uni knot.
                  I routinely use 10 lb braid connected to 12-14 lb mono this way.

Stiffer or thicker mono may not always pass smoothly thru the tip top if the loop if too small.
                  Both the Uni to Uni and the FG knot will pass thru cleaner.

Comment

Surgeons loop in my eyes is the best all-round knot for me. I don't need to tie a dropper loop and just tie a surgeons instead when making rigs even though I know how, it's just quick and easy. For braid to mono the knot I tie is this one right here in the video. I have used it for years and have never had it break off on me whether it be fishing for tog, casting, or anything really. The only problem I think is when you try to join two lines that are significantly different in diameter and strength, for example once I tried to connect 25# braid with a 60# mono leader and had trouble with it holding (Slobberbob can confirm this)but it held fine when I did it with 50# braid on my other rod.

This is the easiest knot I have found and can be easily tied on the water need be, it also has a low profile and I don't plan on learning any other complex knots anymore and you dont need to even think about using glue as the guy says in the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dY4Nr21sYlA
                    Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

Comment

I've been using my surgeon knots for my braided and fly line leaders with much success. I've also switched to a left loop and turtle knots for hooks and swivels and pretty happy so far.
                      PigPen - Mt Airy
                      Native Mariner 12.5

Comment

I just did a test tie connecting 20 pound braid to 12 pound mono using a surgeon knot. It made a smaller diameter connection than a double uni knot with the same lines and it appears to be very strong.

If it holds like a double uni or a surgeon knot on mono to mono connections, I'll be very pleased.

Thanks for the suggestions.
                        Mark
                        Pasadena, MD

Comment

I prefer the double uni. I’ve had excellent luck with it and never had it fail with a fish on. If I am completely hung up and have to succumb to snapping the line, it generally will break at the knot. I use 6 turns on each side. I just had a lot of trouble with the FG and not getting 12 or 13 into it and messing up the crossover and having to start over. I am sure with practice I would get better but I can re-tie a new leader in just a minute or so

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Try the double uni braid to mono on a 40 pound CNR...had a dozen or more failures with it...will not use it with Floro, might be a little better with mono, but braid is slicker than snail snot..the only knot I have not had fail with braid and mono is the FG knot...and I use a 22 turn FG knot not the 20 turn Standard...tried them all, Alberto, double uni, triple surgeons...don't get me wrong, they test fine...I can tie just about every knot in the book including the snob knots...fished for nearly six decades on oceans all over the world, but when you put breaking strength pressure on the knot, it fails...is that critical...it is to me...maybe not most people, but I want the line to break...not the knot to fail...

Comment

I fished with a surgeon knot connection today. I connected a 15 pound mono leader to 20 pound braid. The knot was noticeably smaller than the double uni I usually employ. It slipped through my guides easily. Unfortunately, I really didn't test the knot's strength. I caught a few overly ambitious perch that attacked a striper lure, a couple of baby stripers and only one striper close to legal size. But so far so good. The knot held fast through many casts.
                              Mark
                              Pasadena, MD

Comment

Working...
                              X