Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mark,
    Are you tying a double surgeon's knot?
    Or two double surgeon loops that are looped together? (that is how I do it)

Comment

Mark will answer for himself I'm sure, but based on the initial discussion, I believe he is talking about the surgeon's knot, rather than the loops. But I had not thought looping two surgeon's loops together. I can't imagine a loop to loop connection would be as strong as a knot that is cinched down, but what do I know! Have you every had it fail at the loops?
      2015 Hobie Revolution 13
      2016 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

I am a big fan of the Alberto knot for joining braid to leader.

It's very easy to tie in the field and is quite strong so long as the braid is thinner then the leader. It will work when they are close-ish in size, but the knot needs to be 100% perfect and it becomes a little fat for my liking. But for 10lb Braid -> 8-12lb leader or 40lb Braid -> 15-18lb leader, it works perfectly.

EDIT: I will also note that when it fails, it does so very easily, so if the knot passes a "tug until the braid hurts my hand" test, it is likely to hold up to anything.
        Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
        Lime Slayer 10

Comment

Originally posted by bignose View Post
          Mark,
          Are you tying a double surgeon's knot?
          Or two double surgeon loops that are looped together? (that is how I do it)
          Stu,

A simple surgeon's knot:
          https://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/surgeons-knot

Knot.jpg

I've been using it to create fly fishing leaders for years. I know it's strong from that application. Supposedly it's good for connecting two lines of unequal diameter which is what happens as you tie a tapered fly fishing leader. I never thought of trying it on braid until it was mentioned in this thread. It's much easier to tie than a double uni. But will it last and hold as fast? Time will tell.
          Last edited by Mark; 08-10-2018, 03:53 PM.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

We use the loop-to-loop connections, mono-to-braid, on the Charter boat.
            It allows us to quick change pre-made leaders (stored wrapped around a pool noodle) for when our clients get the inevitable break off as we liveline or use cut crab around the Bay Bridge pilings. We also use loops to connect to snap swivels.

The knot in the mono loop is a weak point, but no weaker than the clinch knot we use to attach the hook to the leader.
            Most of our break-offs occur up the leader due to abrasion from the Bridge, boat, fish.....

I wouldn't believe a Double Surgeons knot between mono and braid wouldn't slip, but you have provided proof........

Comment

Working...
            X