Kayak Death LeGore Bridge Monocacy River

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kayak Death LeGore Bridge Monocacy River

Just announced on WMAL 630 am that a kayaker has drowned at the LeGore bridge on the Monocacy river. They are stating that is was do to the flooding and the swift river conditions. Sad.
    2017 Hobie PA14

http://www.fox5dc.com/news/local-new...near-frederick
    John B

Jackson Cuda 14 (Yellow Jacket)
    Hobie Outback (Papaya)
    Jackson Coosa (Forest Camo)

Comment

Did he/she have a pfd on?

Comment

The accident is still under investigation but if this photo indicates this morning's conditions, kayaking the Monocacy was not a wise decision:

https://www.wbaltv.com/article/fatal...ation/22687806

Very unfortunate.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

The article says that he was an experience kayak and Was wearing a PFD.
          2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

Fast water can pin you so that even with a PFD you will drown. Sad.
            John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
            MK Endura Max 55 backup power
            Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Very sad! I live of the Monocacy and Potomac, haven't had an opportunity to go out safely all summer, to risky and not enjoyable. Rather go take the 1.5 hour drive to the Bay. They stated that he may have had an underlying medical issue as well. They said they hit debris and his kayak overturned.

Jackson 2018 Kraken 15.5 Ellite
              Last edited by Jmoye; 08-10-2018, 08:27 AM.

Comment

The kayaker lived in Thurmont not too far from where I live. Certainly sad. Flow at the Bridgeport gauge (Rt 140) that day & approximate time of his drowning showed the Monocacy was on a sharp rise and peaked at 6' early in the morning of the 9th, probably before he launched. A nice polite flow for kayaking would have been around 2' maybe 3' tops. The picture shows his, presumably, red kayak caught in a "strainer". Even at lower/safer flows strainers can still be a big issue to deal with. Still, at 6' the flow would have been cooking. He maybe didn't have enough time to scoot over to the side to properly deal with the strainer. Really sad.
                Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Originally posted by HJS View Post
                  The kayaker lived in Thurmont not too far from where I live. Certainly sad. Flow at the Bridgeport gauge (Rt 140) that day & approximate time of his drowning showed the Monocacy was on a sharp rise and peaked at 6' early in the morning of the 9th, probably before he launched. A nice polite flow for kayaking would have been around 2' maybe 3' tops. The picture shows his, presumably, red kayak caught in a "strainer". Even at lower/safer flows strainers can still be a big issue to deal with. Still, at 6' the flow would have been cooking. He maybe didn't have enough time to scoot over to the side to properly deal with the strainer. Really sad.
                  They must not have realized that the rain we got last week, is filling up the river, not good.

Comment

And, in case you don't know what a strainer is...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7u8XLTJQTg

(Yikes... think I'll stick with fishing on a calm lake).
                    smithmal

2017 Native Ultimate 12 (Lagoon Blue)
                    Bending Branches Angler Pro Plus Paddle

2016 Old Town Twin Heron Tandem (Mango)

2012 Nova Craft Pal 16' in Royalex-Lite (Burgundy)

1990 Radisson 12' (SportsPal)

Comment

I live in Frederick and got a little more info. They were experienced Kayakers, all 4 of them. The water was flowing heavy and fast and got in trouble when they came across a large tree down across the river. All 4 went into the water, all 4 had on PFD's and all 4 made it to shore. The guy that died was on the shoreline talking with Fire and Rescue when he suddenly collapsed most likely from a Heart Attack and passed away. He did not drown.

However, with living in the area I often go on the Monocacy and Upper Potomac. This year with the rains, the water if very high and very fast. With so many trees down and underhidden underwater hazards I am staying away. There have been too many water rescues this year from Kayakers and Canoers overturning, losing boats and equipment. Fortunately this has been the only incident resulting in a death.

Moral of the story, if you have to think about and question should I go or not, don't!! Safety is paramount!!
                      2018 Hobie PA 12 Camo
                      2017 Ascend FS12 Camo

Comment

Originally posted by Zeke View Post
                        Moral of the story, if you have to think about and question should I go or not, don't!! Safety is paramount!!
                        Good advice.
                        Mark
                        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
                        X