Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Braid to Fluoro - why the mismatch on test?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Braid to Fluoro - why the mismatch on test?

I’ve been reading in some threads how people will not match the test strength when tying on a leader. For bass fishing on my medium rod I was using 20lb braid and 20lb fluoro and on my medium-light, 15/15. When trout fishing, I had some 10 or 8 I think. I also use that combo for a short, light rod that I use to catch baitfish.

I usually start with about 5’ of fluoro for my leader so I don’t have to replace it as often.

Only been back to fishing for about 18 mos so I appreciate the comments from those here on the forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don’t use Floro...I have had problems with it...I use Trilene XT mono...and it is 20# test...for just about everything...and never had a problem...
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

The only reason that I would mismatch the test on leaders is for abrasion resistance and deal with situations where cutoffs are a risk. An example is when fishing for tog or around a lot of structure I'll tie on a good length of thick leader so the braid won't take a beating. Another example is that I know SlobberBob on the forum will use very thick leader material when fishing for blues because when they are blitzing they can break you off with all the fish going crazy around your line and lure.

I personally can't think of any reason in which one would mismatch the test of the leader in which the leader is stronger than the mainline. That being said I never use floro personally due to the cost and most of the fish I target dont seem to be very line shy.
      Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

Comment

Erupert66,

You may not want to match the pound test for the following reasons:

1. Some anglers use a higher pound test mono leader than their braided line because they are pursuing toothy fish like pickerel or snakeheads. In effect, the heavier mono becomes a bite leader. So they may tie on 30 or even 40 pound test to their 20 pound braid.

2. Some anglers may pursue really large fish and a larger diameter mono leader is easier to grab to gain control of the fish. You certainly don't want to grab the braid.

3. Conversely, you may want to use a lighter mono leader than the breaking strength of your braid. That's because the diameter of braid is so much smaller than mono of the same pound test. Twenty pound braid equates to the diameter of 6 pound mono. You can cast perch lures with it. But you don't need 20 pound mono for perch leaders. You can use lighter mono to get the benefit of less visibility and more action with your lighter lures. I happen to use 15 pound on my perch rods and 8 to 10 pound mono leaders. Could I go lighter? Of course. But I've become accustomed to the combo and it works for me. It also allows me to successfully handle larger fish that may hit my perch lures.

4. Much of our fishing discussed on this forum is tidal. Generally, that is fishing in open water and we can get by with lighter leaders than freshwater bass anglers fishing in thick spatterdock, pads or hydrilla. The highest pound test leader I use for stripers is 17, often I use 12 or 15 tied to 20 pound braid. I'm not real scientific about it when striper fishing at this time of year where schoolies far outnumber keepers. I look in the drawer and grab the first spool I see. Tonight in preparation for an outing tomorrow, I grabbed a 15 pound spool of mono and tied it to my 20 pound braid with a surgeon knot, per discussions here on another thread. It will be the first time I test that particular braid to mono connection on the water.

Like you, I tie longer leaders to get more use out of them.

I'm sure others have different opinions and approaches on this matter. I look forward to reading them.
        Last edited by Mark; 08-09-2018, 10:53 PM.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Usually I use 20lb fluoro for the majority of my rockfish trolling/casting/jigging setups. I do have 40lb mono for when I'm fishing around structure that I know has a lot of barnacles on it, or when I'm fishing for mackerel, and 80 lb for when toothy bluefish are in the area. I've had striper hit a huge deep diving rapala tied to 80 lb leader, so I know they aren't too leader shy. The fluoro, like others have said, is great to grab to bring striper from 10-20" into the boat, but if the fish is bigger than about 20", usually I'll use my net. Fluoro is pricey, but I bought a 50 yard spool of 20lb hi-seas leader for like $15 or so about 2 years ago, and I've still got a little left. So ~7-8$ a year, that ain't bad.

Comment

I just read an article in the free Fishing News paper from Anglers that Capt Mike & Capt dave use 40lb braid (in Mattawoman for sneks). I'm curious if they indeed use a leader, and/or what size and material leader that is! Makes sense having to pull LMB and Sneks thru the SAV...
            Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Originally posted by mchottie View Post
              I just read an article in the free Fishing News paper from Anglers that Capt Mike & Capt dave use 40lb braid (in Mattawoman for sneks). I'm curious if they indeed use a leader, and/or what size and material leader that is! Makes sense having to pull LMB and Sneks thru the SAV...
              Michael,

John Rentch and I fished with them last Saturday. The do not use a leader when fishing for snakeheads. The plastic frog is tied directly to the braid.

The do use a leader on their bass rods.
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Comment

That is very interesting. I use the same style, lure tied directly to braid, but I mostly fish the edges hence my 15lb or 20lb max. I think the article said they tied between 40-60lb depending on the type of vegetation, I left the article at home unfortunately.

When I have a moster bite off my braid, i'll probably switch to leader, but until then, FISH ON!!!
                Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Michael,

I don't think they're concerned too much with a bite-off. They advise throwing the lure into the vegetation on the bank and dragging it to the water to avoid a heavy splashdown. It takes some hefty line to get that frog through the shoreline growth at Mattawoman.
                  Mark
                  Pasadena, MD

Comment

For my personal fishing, just about all of my stuff is rigged with 10 lb. Sufix Braid. It tests out at 18 lbs.
                    I use 12-14 lb test leaders. I want my leaders to break before my main line does. Otherwise you risk losing a lot of line. I broke half a dozen rods when I first started using braid because of zero stretch.

I used to use a lot of ultra light equipment and used Damyl Tectan line, pre-braid days. Didn't use leaders for this. This line tested thinnest per lb. test-I checked this with a micrometer.

For the Charter Boat we use 15-17 lb mono main line when chumming or livelining with spinning rods. Mono is much safer and easier for our clients to use and much easier to untangle than braid is. I use brightly colored monos, easier for my old eyes to see.

We add on a 3/16-1/4" plastic bead to save the tip top from overzealous clients, a plastic weight slider, then a loop, either connected to a coastal lock swivel, or directly to the 36" leader, which also has a loop.

We use 20-30 lb test leaders because of the abrasion resistance, and to have something a little thicker to grab. If we are livelining around the bridge pilings I use 30, other wise 20 is sufficient for open water.
                    Our Perch rods are rigged with 8 lb. Trilene. Last year, one of our clients landed a 36" Rock on one of these.

We'll troll with 40-50lb. braid and 50 lb leaders during trophy season, enough said about that.

The Snake guys use their braid like a wire saw to cut thru the stems of the SAV.
                    Last edited by bignose; 08-10-2018, 08:29 PM.

Comment

Correct guys 40lb braid tied directly. Need a 7 foot med heavy rod with a quick tip for that style frogging. Long casts into the woods produce best. But our pop r rods are med light with 20 braid and a short 20 flouro leader. Three reasons for the leader.
                      1. It keeps the braid from tangling in the topwater lure. (legs crossed)
                      2. The flouro keeps the lure cup face or dog walking grounded to the water and produces a popper pop or slap of the water
                      3. It allows us to lift the lure with fish on right out of the water by grabbing the leader. That braid will cut your hand with a 5lb LGmouth or Potomac Pike

Capt Mike

Comment

This is one of the best posts...lots of really good “how to” information for new kayak anglers to avoid the lessons a lot of us had to learn the hard way...thanks
                        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I would agree with Ron, I'm pretty much getting away from using Flourocarbon leaders. I'm finding using P-line Floroclear or Kastking Fluorokote has practically the same invisibility of fluorocarbon but holds the strength and durability of mono.

Comment

Originally posted by Oldbayrunner View Post
                            I would agree with Ron, I'm pretty much getting away from using Flourocarbon leaders. I'm finding using P-line Floroclear or Kastking Fluorokote has practically the same invisibility of fluorocarbon but holds the strength and durability of mono.
                            I just bought a spool of the fluorokote in 15lb variety. Since 90% of my fishing is lake fishing for bass, I like the setup I am using. There was a ton of great info on here so when I do venture out of the lakes, I’ll have so good setups to try. I have a variety of braid up to 40lb and a variety of fluoro up to 20lb so I think I good.

Thanks for all the good posts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I use fluoro carbon leaders usually 20 lb. test. I occasionally go heavier if there is a lot of structure.

Comment

Working...
                              X