Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inshore Spinning Tackle - Please Help

Hello,

I'm pretty new to both kayak, and inshore, fishing, so I'm hoping someone can help me out with some recommendations for spinning gear.

I'd appreciate some recommendations for "go to" lures for inshore fish (Reds, Specks, Stripers, etc). In addition, I'd appreciate some recommendations for a spinning set up (rod, reel, line) to throw those lures. I'm not looking for anything fancy though, because this gear will be a back up to my fly gear. My first preference is to catch fish on a fly rod, but I've learned it's a good idea to have some spinning gear as a backup.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Dave,

Lots of discussion on this topic lately:

http://www.snaggedline.com/showthread.php?18268

http://www.snaggedline.com/showthread.php?18237

http://www.snaggedline.com/showthread.php?18234
    2015 Hobie Revolution 13
    2016 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Dave,

I did a quick search on-line of "striped bass rods and reels." Invariably, the sites that appeared recommended much heavier tackle than most of us on this forum use. The tackle commonly listed ranged from saltwater surf casting gear to 4000 series spinning reels on medium heavy rods for casting or live-lining from boats. One mentioned the popularity of light tackle jigging on the east coast and said that largemouth bass tackle will suffice to chase "chickens". I guess they are referring to 20 plus inchers that we commonly target in our kayaks. Those lighter rods and reels will indeed handle the stripers we encounter from our kayaks in the Chesapeake for most of the year.

So, your best bet is to read the links cited by belairfishing above. As a fly angler you'll appreciate what a lighter fishing rod can handle and how that applies to spinning tackle too.

As to lures, what works for largemouth bass, from swimbaits to surface lures will work for stripers. Just think of flies that attract stripers (Clousers and Poppers are two I use) and find their counterparts in conventional lures.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I kayak fished the bays for years before switching to inshore and my bay equipment isn’t really up to the challenge.

For inshore, you want to go heavier than what most people use in the bay. To me, this translates to medium heavy or heavy rods for jigging 1-6 oz. I fish for stripers, fluke, red and black drum, sea bass in up to 150 feet of water with my gear. Good quality makes a difference, so do your research and spend carefully. You’ll want saltwater tolerant equipment as well. I would stay away from anything lower quality than a penn slammer 3 4500, Tsunami shield 5000, Spheros Sw5000, or Saragosa 5000. You can go down to 4000 size like EliasV used up in the NYC area but he replaced his gear yearly.

I use St. Croix rods because I am used to them but any saltwater tolerant rods will do. Rinse the equipment well with fresh water after every trip to prolong the optimal use lifetime.

As far as lures start simple with jig/soft plastics and spoons. For offshore, it’s a completely different ballgame. For example, unless you are on feeding stripers, forget about using lures. Bait is where it’s at.

Watch some YouTube videos of EliasV, Alan Battista, Jeff little. Those guys and others (apologies if I left you out) have posted many educational videos.

Good luck!
        Last edited by hookmeup; 08-13-2018, 06:52 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
          Dave,

I did a quick search on-line of "striped bass rods and reels." Invariably, the sites that appeared recommended much heavier tackle than most of us on this forum use. The tackle commonly listed ranged from saltwater surf casting gear to 4000 series spinning reels on medium heavy rods for casting or live-lining from boats. One mentioned the popularity of light tackle jigging on the east coast and said that largemouth bass tackle will suffice to chase "chickens". I guess they are referring to 20 plus inchers that we commonly target in our kayaks. Those lighter rods and reels will indeed handle the stripers we encounter from our kayaks in the Chesapeake for most of the year.

So, your best bet is to read the links cited by belairfishing above. As a fly angler you'll appreciate what a lighter fishing rod can handle and how that applies to spinning tackle too.

As to lures, what works for largemouth bass, from swimbaits to surface lures will work for stripers. Just think of flies that attract stripers (Clousers and Poppers are two I use) and find their counterparts in conventional lures.
          I’ve used a 3000 series reel w medium-light rod and 15lb braid / fluoro setup and have no problem with 20+ inch Stripers last season. This season I bought a medium rod w a 4000 series KastKing and 20/15lb setup. Landed a nice 23” at Lapidum from the bank in the late May window when that section opened up. Handled it just fine. Just running a simple white speckle Keitech Swing Impact on a jig head. This has been a pretty good bait for me both there and in lakes for LM.

I don’t like to spend a lot on gear so my rods are all Ugly Sticks of various lengths and strengths. Cannot beat the Okuma Ceymar reels for value. Smooth as butter and $36 for the C-30 and $44 for the C-40 on Amazon. I also like the KastKing reels. I have a 5000 on my medium-heavy rod and the love-lining 4000 series on my my straight medium. Also in the same price range.

KastKing line is also a nice value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thank you to everyone who has replied so far!

While reading everyone's recommendations, I realized that I have a spinning outfit packed away, which I might be able to use. I have a Daiwa 4000c Silver Series spinning reel, and a 7ft/2 piece spinning rod labeled "Olympic-5070 2SFG". I got the outfit in 1979, and the rod's label is kind of beat up, so I don't know specs (lure weight, action, etc.). Google hasn't turned up any info. However, when I was a kid, my dad and I fished the Bay out of Smith Point Marina, and this spinning outfit brought a lot of Blues, Weakfish, etc to the boat.

At first glance, the outfit looks like it should be serviceable after a cleaning ... except for the 30-something year old mono. I might need to replace that!

If anyone knows anything about that rod (Olympic-5070 2SFG), or has any other rod/reel recommendations, please let me know.

Thanks again!

Dave

Comment

Working...
            X