Rod Holders for Hobie Revo 13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rod Holders for Hobie Revo 13

Hey guys, I just got a 2015 Revo 13. There are two molded rod holders to the rear, but I prefer to have the rod holders in front of me like on my Wilderness Systems Ride 115, which has a gear track built in. I have been looking on youtube for a hack, but I didn't have any luck finding anything, although I was sure I saw it somewhere. I would prefer to not drill any holes to add a track. Do any of you know of any mods using PVC that I could build a rocker launcher type holder that points up and out to the side so I could have eyes on the rods while trolling?

Thanks in advance,

Steve
    2015 Hobie Revolution 13
    2016 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...ght=rod+holder
    Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

Comment

Steve,

I understand your hesitancy to drill into the narrow gunwales of a Revo. Some do not realize that the rudder cables on both sides of the boat actually go forward to a pulley before heading to the stern of the boat. So you must be doubly careful when drilling to not cut those cables.

I use a BlackPak in my Revo as much for a rod holder as for storage. I hung Scotty rod holder mounts on each side of it like this:

P1010239.jpg

The bungee cords behind the seat of the Revo will firmly lock down the BlackPak to make it into a solid foundation to hold rods while trolling.

However, that still didn't get the rod tips within my eyesight so I used Scotty extender arms to do that:

Scotty Arms.jpg

Here's that arrangement using the extenders on my old Revo:

P1000516.jpg

I could easily see the rods while trolling with that configuration. But here's the thing...I learned that I didn't need to see the rods to catch fish. So I stopped using the extender arms.

An easier setup for me was to use the Revo's two built-in holders behind the seat. I merely added the Hobie Rocket Launchers in them to get my rods off the waterline and easier to reach.

There is no mistaking a trolling hookup with the rods behind your seat. They will rattle in their holders and the drag will release. I found that watching the rod tips added little benefit to me and it wasn't worth carrying the extra gear to enable it.

Here's my present Revo in a trolling configuration:

P1030160.jpg

So before you try other methods, you might want to use what Hobie has already provided. It has worked fine for me.
      Last edited by Mark; 08-16-2018, 07:45 AM.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

That is exactly what I made for Lady Luck...love it so much I do not use any other rod holders at all...trolling, bait fishing...it works for me..and I did it by fitting the PVC before gluing it together, modifying the fitup until it did what I wanted...once I got it the way I wanted, I used black marker to mark the correct alignment of each joint so It would fit once I put the pvc cement on it...
        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
        X