Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What size jig heads do you use when trolling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What size jig heads do you use when trolling?

Curious on what sized jig heads you guys use when trolling around the rivers and maybe into the bay? I went out and a buddy had me using 1/2,3/4 and 1oz. I was wondering what is the maximum size that would be used? I want to place an order for some jigs not too sure what the maximum weight should be, I know weight correlates to depth but again, I dont know...

Thanks.

P.S. Is there a true difference in jigs heads? G-Eye looks sweet and follows that whole big eye theory, Coach seems good for cost, Ive heard good things about Hardheads and so on. Most of the look the same but G-eyes have their own shape no doubt.

All those look good and I also support G-Eye jigs, not only are they unique with the Eye but the quality control is great. I’d order one more heavier size like a 1.5 or 2oz. Slap some soft plastics and you are good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Jesserkirk View Post
      All those look good and I also support G-Eye jigs, not only are they unique with the Eye but the quality control is great. I’d order one more heavier size like a 1.5 or 2oz. Slap some soft plastics and you are good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Thanks. I was thinking about BKDs or the Zmann ( cant think of them now! ) or possibly some curly tails. I have tons and tons of largemouth lures ( soft plastics ) I dont know if they'll work but maybe? lol

Also, are there any pointers on how to determine depth or I should say guess the depth without using any line counters?

Comment

There are many brands of jigheads that work for trolling. You will get lots of opinions about which brand is best -- for the most part, that is purely personal preference. [As a side note, I see frequent posts on Snaggedline from new members looking for "the best" rod, reel, line, etc. With just a few exceptions, there is no universal best item in fishing. Each person finds their own best choice based on performance, brand loyalty, cost, etc.]

There is a difference in jighead durability and resistance to hook straightening based on the quality of the hook used. The local brands mentioned by previous posters (G-Eye, Hard Head, Coach) use a strong, quality hook. If you hook a large striper, (>30") these may perform better than a less expensive brand. But for most of the fish I catch, a discount brand of jighead works just as well).

Some anglers believe that a large eye makes a difference in attracting predators. In the murky waters in our local rivers and mid-bay, I don't think the predators get much of a view of the eyes anyway.

Regarding size, I have trolled with jigheads/bucktail ranging from 1/8-oz to 1.5-oz and caught fish on all of them. The weight you select will determine how deep the lure runs in the water column. When trolling in shallow water (as I often do in 3' to 6' depth), 3/8-oz, 1/2-oz are probably good choices. If you are in deeper water and want to get your lure down deeper, move up to 3/4-oz, 1-oz, or larger. I rarely use heavier than 1-oz these days. Whatever weight you select, you do not want the lure hitting the bottom -- once it does it will hang up or pick up debris on the hook.

What do I use? For trolling I have dozens of jigneads from 1/2-oz to over 1 oz. Most are generic brands that I bought on sale or picked up as odd lots at the winter shows. On the rods I use for light weight casting, I use Trout-Eye jigheads made by Ralph Phillips in 3/8-oz size. The identical lure is marketed as Z-man jigheads, three to a bag for $4.95. Last winter, I ordered directly from Ralph Phillips in bulk and got the cost for a high quality jighead (strong hook, big eye) down to a much lower cost per unit.

I recommend that you read Alan Battista's book on light tackle trolling and take a look at sections of my book (Fishing in the Comfort Zone) that talk about light tackle trolling from a kayak. Other than that, buy a few jigheads of different sizes and get out and try them. See what catches and what does not. You do not need to make a huge investment in jigheads in order to get started.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

The other thing to check is the size of the hook, and even the hook's shank length. I had some Strike King Swimbait jig heads with a longer shank on them that places the hook further back in the bait and I notice that they tend to hook the fish deeper in the throat which is not good for the fish even with the barbs removed. I typically go with 3/0 - 5/0 sized hooks depending on the weight of the jig head and size of the bait. Keep in mind some cheaper heads may use smaller hooks that may work but you may miss fish with them.

I don't think color and shape of the jig head matters too much, the size and color of the soft plastic is far more important.

Weights I have very from 1/8 ounce and up. I usually will run it with enough weight to keep the lure down without hanging up, and usually run a different weight on each line I am trolling.
          Mike

2015 Hidden Oak Slayer Propel 10

Comment

I rarely ever use anything heavier than 3/8 oz...95% of the time I use 1/4 oz.and like John Veil, I troll a lot of 1/8 oz in shallow water...
            "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
            2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
            "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
            Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I'm like Ron, my most frequently used jig heads are 1/4 oz. Sometimes I will go heavier in deeper water, but I've caught a surprising number of big fish on 1/4 jig heads trolling in 15-20 feet of water.
              Joe

2020 Vibe Shearwater 125

Comment

Thanks guys. I guess its easy to ask whats best, but true.. What works for you might not work for me and what works today might not work tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by rugbyfish View Post
                  I'm like Ron, my most frequently used jig heads are 1/4 oz. Sometimes I will go heavier in deeper water, but I've caught a surprising number of big fish on 1/4 jig heads trolling in 15-20 feet of water.
                  Also, smaller weights on longer distance of mono/braid will sit lower in the water column. I am by no means an expert, I defer to J.Veil or A.Battista for much better guidance on this topic. Im laymans terms, you want to have enough lures out to cover the water column to better you chances of catching fish that are hungry/feeding. I dont want to simplify it too much, but in essence if you are trying to catch fish, you want to hedge your bets as best as possible.

Also, you you run a spread of multi color lures, if white or red is producing fish, change all the rest to match that color / depth.
                  Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Looks like I'll have to just spend money at Jig the Bay and find what I need there to get started.

Comment

I pour my own jigs from Do-It molds.

Here are the two styles I am most likely to use for trolling paddletails, although I cast them too:

Jigs for plastic.jpg

They vary in weight from 5/8 oz. to 1/8 oz. The hooks are heavier gauge for saltwater and range from 4/0 to 1. No striper has ever straightened one, including the size 1 hook on the 1/8 oz. jig.

You've gotten great advice about the weights -- it varies and they each catch in given situations.

I put the eyes on the jigs for me. The jig sellers do too. They know you want them more than the fish need them. I know they don't matter because I'll use jigs like the one at the bottom of the photo with the paint worn off and it will still catch fish.

Lastly, of the two styles, I prefer the ones on the left in the photo because their flat sides make them easier to grasp to control and release a fish.
                      Mark
                      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Thanks and interesting point about the flats facilitating the release of the hook....
                        Originally posted by Mark View Post
                        I pour my own jigs from Do-It molds.

Here are the two styles I am most likely to use for trolling paddletails, although I cast them too:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24084[/ATTACH]

They vary in weight from 5/8 oz. to 1/8 oz. The hooks are heavier gauge for saltwater and range from 4/0 to 1. No striper has ever straightened one, including the size 1 hook on the 1/8 oz. jig.

You've gotten great advice about the weights -- it varies and they each catch in given situations.

I put the eyes on the jigs for me. The jig sellers do too. They know you want them more than the fish need them. I know they don't matter because I'll use jigs like the one at the bottom of the photo with the paint worn off and it will still catch fish.

Lastly, of the two styles, I prefer the ones on the left in the photo because their flat sides make them easier to grasp to control and release a fish.

Comment

Working...
                        X