• Show
Clear All

• Double- Double Uni Knot Floro with Braid

Learning this knot, Thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMLa0vHZzMs

The double uni is a good knot.

We recently had a lengthy thread about knots:

http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...ouble+uni+knot

From the above, I was enticed to try the surgeon's knot for a leader to braid connection. I used it yesterday and it held fast for two legal stripers on a perch rod.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Jmoye View Post
      Learning this knot, Thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMLa0vHZzMs
      I have always just used the surgeons knot with braid and leader, easier to tie in the wind, saves time and holds just as well.

Jackson Kraken 15.5
      Lowrance Hook 2 5

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post

From the above, I was enticed to try the surgeon's knot for a leader to braid connection. I used it yesterday and it held fast for two legal stripers on a perch rod.
        Mark,

The surgeon's knot held for me on that CNR on the Rhode River this weekend!

Steve
        2015 Hobie Revolution 13
        2016 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Originally posted by belairfishing View Post
          Mark,

The surgeon's knot held for me on that CNR on the Rhode River this weekend!

Steve
          Thanks Brother. I am fly fisherman and have always used the surgeons knot, quick and easy and holds.

Jackson Kraken 15.5
          Lowrance Hook 2 5

Comment

The uni knot is a good knot. I'm currently using the fg knot which I like a lot but you have to tie it right or it will pull out.

Comment

Originally posted by mike o View Post
              The uni knot is a good knot. I'm currently using the fg knot which I like a lot but you have to tie it right or it will pull out.
              FG have to check it out

Jackson Kraken 15.5
              Lowrance Hook 2 5

Comment

A double uni knot, tied correctly will hold ANYTHING you're going to encounter in the bay. I haven't had a minutes problem with fish ranging from a 20" rockfish, 50 lb. reds, to 100 lb Tarpon. Its a solid knot that is easy to tie in a hurry. I like the FG knot too, but the complexity of it tends to be more than I want to do on a kayak while out fishing. My one complaint about the double uni is that if tying large diameter leader to your braid (especially Fluro in the 60lb test and up range) is that it creates a larger knot than the FG. This isn't a big deal with most spinning set ups, but can create hangups in the microguides that are on some casting/conventional rods.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
                Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

I apologize if this was shared in an earlier thread, but I had a lot of trouble with the FG until I found the video at https://www.saltstrong.com/articles/...ouTube#content. In the kayak, I tie a loop in the end of the braid to hook in my teeth and simply lean the rod for tension as he describes in the video.
                  Bill

2018 Hobie Compass - Seagrass Green
                  2015 Wilderness Ride 135 - Green Camo

Comment

Originally posted by LivinTheDream View Post
                    I apologize if this was shared in an earlier thread, but I had a lot of trouble with the FG until I found the video at https://www.saltstrong.com/articles/...ouTube#content. In the kayak, I tie a loop in the end of the braid to hook in my teeth and simply lean the rod for tension as he describes in the video.
                    That's how I tie mine for the most part. One thing I feel they didn't emphasize enough is that you only want a gentle tension. The first few times I tried tying this, I locked the drag down and had the rod in a rod holder with lots of tension. If you do that, the leader material will kink instead of staying straight with the braid wrapped nicely around it.
                    "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna
                    Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

I have used a double uni knot for many years. I was intrigued by the title of this post and of the linked video -- the double-double uni knot. I watched the video to see what made this knot a double-double. The guy in the video first tied the standard double uni knot. The he tied a second knot in which he doubled over about a foot of braid and did the double uni knot with the doubled-over braid. After completing both, he did a test to see which knot broke first. As you might expect, the standard double uni knot broke first.

As others noted above, the standard double uni knot holds up to most of the fish we encounter if it is tied correctly. We can debate how many wraps should be made on each of the uni knots. The more wraps, the larger the knot.

Here are my observations about the double-double uni knot.
                      Pros: It appears to be stronger than the standard double uni knot, but that may not be necessary for our use.
                      Cons: It consumes more of your braid each time you tie it. It appears to make a larger knot that could catch on a rod guide during the cast. It may be harder to tie on the water in a kayak.

Finally, every system has a weakest link. Most of us use a knot to tie leader to main line and a second knot to tie leader to lure. Realistically, one of those knots will break before the other one, or conceivably the line itself could break first. If you believe your line to leader knot is the weak link in your system, you may want to try this double-double uni knot or one of the other knots mentioned in the comments by previous posters. If your leader to lure knot is the weakest link, there is little reason to use the double-double uni knot.

As Mark noted in his comment, the surgeons knot seems to work well as a line to leader connection. While on the water this morning I used a double uni knot. This evening at home, I worked on a different rod and used the surgeons knot. I plan to use those two knots side by side for a few weeks to see if there is a clear winner.
                      John Veil
                      Annapolis
                      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post

It works and it’s fast!

Jackson Kraken 15.5
                        Lowrance Hook 2 5

Comment

Originally posted by RavensDfense View Post
                          A double uni knot, tied correctly will hold ANYTHING you're going to encounter in the bay. I haven't had a minutes problem with fish ranging from a 20" rockfish, 50 lb. reds, to 100 lb Tarpon. Its a solid knot that is easy to tie in a hurry. I like the FG knot too, but the complexity of it tends to be more than I want to do on a kayak while out fishing. My one complaint about the double uni is that if tying large diameter leader to your braid (especially Fluro in the 60lb test and up range) is that it creates a larger knot than the FG. This isn't a big deal with most spinning set ups, but can create hangups in the microguides that are on some casting/conventional rods.
                          True!!

Jackson Kraken 15.5
                          Lowrance Hook 2 5

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                            I have used a double uni knot for many years. I was intrigued by the title of this post and of the linked video -- the double-double uni knot. I watched the video to see what made this knot a double-double. The guy in the video first tied the standard double uni knot. The he tied a second knot in which he doubled over about a foot of braid and did the double uni knot with the doubled-over braid. After completing both, he did a test to see which knot broke first. As you might expect, the standard double uni knot broke first.

As others noted above, the standard double uni knot holds up to most of the fish we encounter if it is tied correctly. We can debate how many wraps should be made on each of the uni knots. The more wraps, the larger the knot.

Here are my observations about the double-double uni knot.
                            Pros: It appears to be stronger than the standard double uni knot, but that may not be necessary for our use.
                            Cons: It consumes more of your braid each time you tie it. It appears to make a larger knot that could catch on a rod guide during the cast. It may be harder to tie on the water in a kayak.

Finally, every system has a weakest link. Most of us use a knot to tie leader to main line and a second knot to tie leader to lure. Realistically, one of those knots will break before the other one, or conceivably the line itself could break first. If you believe your line to leader knot is the weak link in your system, you may want to try this double-double uni knot or one of the other knots mentioned in the comments by previous posters. If your leader to lure knot is the weakest link, there is little reason to use the double-double uni knot.

As Mark noted in his comment, the surgeons knot seems to work well as a line to leader connection. While on the water this morning I used a double uni knot. This evening at home, I worked on a different rod and used the surgeons knot. I plan to use those two knots side by side for a few weeks to see if there is a clear winner.
                            Good post, enjoyed reading it! Thanks Bud!

Jackson Kraken 15.5
                            Lowrance Hook 2 5

Comment

I think your choice depends on your comfort in tying your desired knot. I watched the FG video and knew immediately that was in the "too-hard-to-do" category for me. I can tie a double uni or surgeon's knot while bouncing in my kayak. I could not do the same with a FG.

I also have a test underway. I have a surgeon's knot on a perch rod and a striper rod. Each has done well so far. And I do believe the surgeon's knot is smaller than the double uni. The perch rod has met the test with live fish. With the striper rod I sacrificed a jig in riprap on an errant cast. I broke it off like I would with CNR rather than risk my Mirage Drive in the rocks by retrieving the lure. The leader broke at the jig, not the surgeon's knot. Another good sign in favor of the surgeon's knot.
                              Mark
                              Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                              Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                              Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
                              X