Chincoteaque Island; fishing there in Thanksgiving weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chincoteaque Island; fishing there in Thanksgiving weekend

My brother and I are planning a trip to Chincoteague Thanksgiving weekend. Is it worth taking the kayak down and fishing in the bays and inlets? What is surf fishing like then? Any experience there at that time of the year as far as what to target, if anything, would be helpful.

Also, is the charter season over by then, or are charter boats still going out? If so, who would you recommend? Thanks, Steve
    Last edited by Fishinfool; 08-21-2018, 07:59 PM.

Maybe you should post this on the Virginia heading. Hopefully you will get some help.

Comment

I would say that all depends on the weather and water temps. That late in the fall, you will likely still find a few schoolie stripers around the bridges and maybe in the surf, but for the most part many other species will likely be gone due to the low water temps. Flounder will all but be out in deep ocean water, but if it’s a warm fall, some stripers may still be there. I suppose the possibility exists for a stray pup or speck as well inside the shallow creeks that have the warmest water.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
      Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
      2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Maybe stripers and possibly some tog around rocks and bridges ............. but make sure you pick up a bushel of very fresh oysters.

Comment

Tog around the bridges and docks for sure. Schoolie stripers in the back bay and creeks and a decent chance at a keeper sized one (>28"). Flounder will be over by then.

Normally, that used to be a good time to surf fish for big blues and stripers, but the fall run in the surf is pitiful these days. I wouldn't even call it a run anymore! The fish either stay offshore and bypass us or they're dead. It's really sad to see how far and fast the fall beach run has fallen in the last 10 years. Nowadays you spend a lot of time for just a few quality fish. But if you soak bait, you always have that chance to get into blues or stripers. If any kind of puppy drum bite develops late summer and early fall, they will stick around until after Thanksgiving.
          Brian

Comment

Working...
          X