Redesigned Hobie Outback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Redesigned Hobie Outback

Just passing this along to those who have not seen it......

Hobie came out with some big news this morning. I have not seen the boat other than what you see on the website, but I'll provide a few thoughts.

After years of upgrading things like the seat and mirage drive, Hobie upgraded the hull of the Outback. At 12' 9", it is 8 inches longer, with a slightly increased weight capacity of 425lbs. (previously 400 lbs.). Its looks to be a touch wider as well. The hull appears more streamlined; like a combination of the old Outback and Compass. Hopefully this reduces the hull slap associated with previous model year Outbacks.

The inclusion of a square hatch will be welcomed, also. In addition, the rudder is drastically changed and is now housed under the kayak, like the Compass and PA series kayaks. As a result, the new OB now has a solid carrying handle in the rear.

On the gunnels, Hobie has included flush H-Rails (just forward of the seat), as well as in-laid gear tracks to hold accessories both in front of and behind the seat. The rear tank well also looks larger with an additional modification to accommodate Plano boxes. The standard 180 drive, mesh pockets, and the Vantage CT seat are included. No word on the price yet.

Moving away from the Outback, Hobie also introduced the Compass Duo, a tandem Compass.

Outback_studio_dune_3quarter_2019_png_1200x9999__generated.jpg

Capture.jpg

CompassDuo_studio_slate_3quarter_2019_png_1200x9999__generated.jpg

Here is a link to their website so you can see for yourself.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
    Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
    2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Design improvements are always welcome and the new Outback may be a winner.

But I do wish the major kayak makers would consider reducing hull/fitted weight as an improvement. I suspect the increased capacity has made the new Outback heavier than previous editions. I cannot think of one instance where a particular rotomolded kayak model has gotten lighter from year to year.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Mark -

2019 Outback:

- Fitted Hull weight: 85lbs
      - Fully Rigged weight: 103lbs

My PA14 is a tank, this may be a contender for its replacement. The 34" width is my x-factor, the PA width is listed as 38" but feels more like 42-44" when you're seated.
      Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Has anyone seen a price for it yet.
        2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

Originally posted by mchottie View Post
          Mark -

2019 Outback:

- Fitted Hull weight: 85lbs
          - Fully Rigged weight: 103lbs

My PA14 is a tank, this may be a contender for its replacement. The 34" width is my x-factor, the PA width is listed as 38" but feels more like 42-44" when you're seated.
          Yes. My first impression is that it may appeal especially to PA owners because it seems to be a "PA-lite".

But my point stands. Models tend to get heavier. My present Revo 13 hull unfitted is 8 to 10 pounds heavier than its 6 year-old predecessor despite being the same size and having the same capacity. I realize extra plastic and hardware were necessary for a vastly improved seat. I love the boat. It's fast, easy to pedal, highly maneuverable and seaworthy. I wouldn't trade it even up for any other Hobie. It's the perfect pedal boat for me. It's also now at the upper limit of weight I can easily transport. If the weight gain trend continues, my present Revo will be the last one I own.
          Last edited by Mark; 08-24-2018, 07:00 PM.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Steve6902 View Post
            I sent you a PM. Price has not release yet, but there are estimates/rumors.

Mark - I agree, very similar to a PA-Lite! I like that connotation!
            Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

+1 PA-Lite!!! I like it

Yak67
              2017 Hobie PA-12 Camo
              2016 Hobie Outback LE#217

Comment

Originally posted by Steve6902 View Post
                $2799 for standard and $2949 for Camo. Mirage 180 turbo fins come standard on all 2019 Outbacks.

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Ouch.
                  2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

I’m with Mark on the weight. I’m not getting any younger or stronger.

Comment

I agree about the weight. Most brands keep upping the ante with features which increases the weight. In the case of the 2019 Outback, it’s 8 inches longer as well as wider so I understand the small increase. However, it doesn’t make it any easier to lift.

A few more updates that may explain the price increases. In addition to the standard turbo fins (which run about $150), the square hatch (which runs over $100), the Outback also comes standard with the Guardian transducer cover (originally introduced on the PA series), drop down rudder, dual rudder controls, and Deluxe H-Rails (they have built-in gear tracks on top of the rails). Although a price increase sucks, at least in this case you get the most common upgrades and a totally redesigned hull.

I know this kayak won’t be for everyone, but for the many current or prospective Pro Angler and OB owners, it may be something to consider.

A video on the 2019 Outback can be found here.
                      Last edited by RavensDfense; 08-24-2018, 10:25 PM.

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                      2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Agreed, you do get a lot of upgrade, however at $2,800 you should. I just wonder if Hobie is pricing themselves out of the market. I understand they have the Compass that comes in under $2,000. But there are many other kayak manufacturers out there under $2,500. Then you have the Solo Skiff's that are starting to come out that can be had for around the same price with a motor. I guess only time will tell.
                        With that said I bet if you put one of those Kayak Buddy's on it, it would really fly.
                        2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

Can't wait to order one...these are key features I've been waiting for since purchasing my '11 Outback. Incremental weight/price increases are well within reason considering the ROI--they will easily sell out of these first deliveries. I justify purchasing a nice fishing kayak to defray the massive dollar and cubic footage expense of a $37K bass boat. Paying $3K vs $2K is just not a factor when considering the nearly completely different fishing experience that Hobie provides with their industry-leading product.

Comment

I love my Outback...the seat was such a necessary upgrade...makes fishing in it comfortable experience...a fishing machine...the transducer ready feature was great and makes the mounting a snap...I don’t have any itches that need to be scratched, but the upgrades makes sense and constant improvements is the mark of a great company. When you compare costs, the outfitting is about half of the costs of the kayak...now with the upgrades included the outfitting is minimal...just add electronics and go fishing...
                            "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                            2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                            "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                            Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Here is a link to a detailed walk through for the new Outback.

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                              2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Working...
                              X