Kayak registration question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kayak registration question

Hello i live in PA and fish both pa and Maryland. Really starting to like bay fishing and have been starting to go down every weekend. Im starting to consider to put a trolling motor on my prowler 13 to get me to some spots a little further away without burning me out to much. Looking at the dnr website i need to register the kayak in md to do this. The problem is i don't have a bill of sale since i bought it used from someone on craigslist. What steps need to be done for me to go through with this thanks?

You only have to register in the state that you live in. NOW, with that said IF you fish more MD waters than PA waters you can register it in MD. I would only do that IF MD was cheaper than PA.
    2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

Steve I fish pa more. But it seems the steps are the same to register the kayak in both states. Both say i need a bill of sale and im not sure how to get one since it was brought over craigslist.

Comment

You can just make one. All it has to say is Make model year, date purchased and how much. If you fish in PA more than you ONLY have to register it in PA. Just like a car.
        2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

The registration in MD is free if you're under 7 HP. The expense comes from the 6% one time fee they charge for your purchase price. Don't know if PA charges that fee.

Comment

The Fees are as follows; 5% Excise tax, $2 title fee & $24 registration fee and is registered for the remainder that year and the next subsequent year. It is a "no fee" 2 year registration after that if under 7hp. This link provides all the information one needs...
            http://dnr.maryland.gov/boating/Pages/registration.aspx

Comment

Pretty much what others have said. In Md boat registration is free for boats under 16' and less than 7.5Hp and it lasts 2 years. There is still the one time title fee. I don't know how PA works for obtaining a title nor the PA cost, if any, for registration. Give PA authorities a call and explain your situation. And yeah, it's just like for cars. I would suggest you get this all done in PA.
              Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve6902 View Post
                You only have to register in the state that you live in. NOW, with that said IF you fish more MD waters than PA waters you can register it in MD. I would only do that IF MD was cheaper than PA.
                Thanks for the explaination Steve, I'm new to this as well
                Last edited by Jamestheone85; 10-19-2018, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamestheone85 View Post
                  Thanks for the explaination Steve, I'm new to this as well
                  If you register it in PA then your registration is good pretty much in any state you go as long as it is current. It is the fishing license regs you need to be aware of.

Comment

You can download a generic "boat bill of sale" from the internet, and fill in the necessary info.
                    I did that with a canoe purchased in Maryland last year. Just told a "little white lie" about how much I paid for it to save some extra tax.
                    For MD, you will need to take a photo of the serial number, print it out, and include this with your application.

You've been given all the other info you need above.

Comment

Working...
                    X