Another Safety Reminder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Safety Reminder

So I split my kayaking weekends between fishing and sightseeing/lunch destination trips with my wife. This weekend we were on the North East River - launched from North East Community Park, paddled down to Charlestown Marina, and back up. I tossed a few lures, but I don't fish much when I am with the wife. Anyway, there are lots of boats moored on the river, families swimming, etc. It was a perfect day on the water for that, and paddling. As we are headed back up river, here comes a pontoon boat right at us - there were 3 or 4 people on the boat, but just in case, we started waving our paddles. Still coming right at us! We started yelling, and that's when I realized the guy driving the boat was looking backwards, talking to the other people on the boat, not paying attention to what was in front of him. We yelled loud enough that we got his attention, and he changed course. Then he waved at us like "My bad." I don't think the other people on the boat had any idea what could have happened.

So...the lesson for me and my wife was this - keep your air horn in a place where you can IMMEDIATELY use it. And test it periodically to make sure it works.

A friend pointed out to me the irony in operating a boat vs. a car or a motorcycle. To operate a car or motorcycle, you are required to take classroom training AND demonstrate proficiency before you can take to the roads. To operate a boat, you have to register it. I read about the Maryland’s Boating Safety Education Law, but there doesn't seem to be a requirement BEFORE you can register a boat in Maryland, and I could not find what happens if you are caught operating a boat without the certification...and it is only required if you were born after July 1, 1072.

Anyway, I know it is said a lot on here, but be safe, have the proper tools within reach, keep your head on a swivel, yadda yadda yadda.
    2015 Hobie Revolution 13
    2016 Wilderness Systems Ride 115
Working...
X