Back to knots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back to knots

We recently had a good exchange here about the various knots we use to connect our mono or fluorocarbon leaders to braid.

From that thread, I decided to test the surgeon's knot. I'm here to report so far so good. I've yet to have it break and I've been fortunate to have significant pullage recently to give the knot a good workout. It's very strong.

Yesterday I was fishing on power boat, so no kayak report. However, I had to retie a leader for a different reason -- my braid shredded.

I hope you can see it in this photo:

Braid shredded.jpg

It's 20 pound Power Pro to the left and 15 pound mono to the right connected by a surgeon's knot. Take a close look at the braid. Notice the shredding. The mono was fine. This was a first for me. I've never seen braid deteriorate like that.

A couple of points about the braid:

1. It's two years old but I had recently reversed it. In other words, this portion of braid had not seen the light of day for two years as it was under the wraps of 140 yards of braid on another reel.

2. I was fishing in open water. No abrasive structure nearby.

3. I had indeed just encountered blue fish. I didn't catch any but I had telltale bluefish paddletail bite-offs on previous casts before I noticed the shredding.

Could bluefish have done that? My leader was at least 3 feet long. Can I assume the age of the braid had nothing to do with it?

The good news is that the surgeon's knot was easy to retie. I clipped off the shredded braid and I was back in business fast.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Could it have rubbed on the hull of the boat? Or the prop?

We had a rod with a bad tip top on the big boat that ruined a spool of line, the entire casting section was frayed.
    Unlikely in this case, as it was just where you tied it in.

Comment

Stu,

Possibly...I'll check the guides on that rod for sure.

Thanks,
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Comment

Stu,

Guides are fine. I used the rod again today and no shredding...no fish either but that's another story.

I must have dragged the line across something abrasive but what I do not know.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
          Stu,

Guides are fine. I used the rod again today and no shredding...no fish either but that's another story.

I must have dragged the line across something abrasive but what I do not know.
          Weird...maybe a submerged cable or something, but you'd think you would get a snag if that were the case.
          2015 Hobie Revolution 13
          2016 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
            We recently had a good exchange here about the various knots we use to connect our mono or fluorocarbon leaders to braid.

From that thread, I decided to test the surgeon's knot. I'm here to report so far so good. I've yet to have it break and I've been fortunate to have significant pullage recently to give the knot a good workout. It's very strong.

Yesterday I was fishing on power boat, so no kayak report. However, I had to retie a leader for a different reason -- my braid shredded.

I hope you can see it in this photo:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24136[/ATTACH]

It's 20 pound Power Pro to the left and 15 pound mono to the right connected by a surgeon's knot. Take a close look at the braid. Notice the shredding. The mono was fine. This was a first for me. I've never seen braid deteriorate like that.

A couple of points about the braid:

1. It's two years old but I had recently reversed it. In other words, this portion of braid had not seen the light of day for two years as it was under the wraps of 140 yards of braid on another reel.

2. I was fishing in open water. No abrasive structure nearby.

3. I had indeed just encountered blue fish. I didn't catch any but I had telltale bluefish paddletail bite-offs on previous casts before I noticed the shredding.

Could bluefish have done that? My leader was at least 3 feet long. Can I assume the age of the braid had nothing to do with it?

The good news is that the surgeon's knot was easy to retie. I clipped off the shredded braid and I was back in business fast.
            Wondering about braid and saltwater? Does it deteriorate after time?

Jackson Kraken 15.5
            Lowrance Hook 2 5

Comment

Originally posted by Jmoye View Post
              Wondering about braid and saltwater? Does it deteriorate after time?

Jackson Kraken 15.5
              Lowrance Hook 2 5
              I've never heard of saltwater degrading braid. But contact with abrasive objects will damage it and all lines types.

I know at this point it was not faulty rod guides which is good news. So I must have contacted something while fishing without realizing it to create the shredding. I'm glad I noticed it before the line gave way with a fish on.
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Comment

The other consideration is: Did you catch a couple of Stripers before noticing the frayed area?
                It is entirely possible that the shredding may have come from contact with a striper's dorsal fins and scales.

Comment

Originally posted by bignose View Post
                  The other consideration is: Did you catch a couple of Stripers before noticing the frayed area?
                  It is entirely possible that the shredding may have come from contact with a striper's dorsal fins and scales.
                  Stu,

I did. I had a very good day.
                  Mark
                  Pasadena, MD

Comment

I’ve had it happen with 30 lb Power Pro. I was fishing it on spinning gear, vertical jigging in freshwater. Still not sure of the cause, I cut it back, retied and went about not catching fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                    X