Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selecting a PFD

Hey Guys,

Want to purchase a PFD. What’s your recommendations? So many out there.

Jackson Kraken 15.5
    Lowrance Hook 2 5

I have one from Chinook and it’s great I think it’s the angler model. I recommend going to REI and trying on a few different models and sizes.

Also, don’t get one of the inflatable pfds, lots of stories of them not inflating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Jesserkirk View Post
      I have one from Chinook and it’s great I think it’s the angler model. I recommend going to REI and trying on a few different models and sizes.

Also, don’t get one of the inflatable pfds, lots of stories of them not inflating.

Hey Bud,

I was going to do that, a lot on sale right now. I was hearing that they don’t inflate. But aren’t those the lightest and less bulky ones? I see everyone using them. Maybe have a backup on board?

Jackson Kraken 15.5
      Lowrance Hook 2 5

Comment

The issue is, in an emergency you aren’t going to have time to properly put one on or as in a lot of situations, you get hit by another boater and knocked unconscious. I’m sure you can find a comfortable and light weight real pfd. I just don’t think the inflatables pros outweigh the cons, especially when used in a kayak application which you are much mode likely to end up in the water when compared to other boats.

Comment

I would also suggest you get one without padding on the back. I didn't spend a lot of money on the first one I bought, but definitely get the backless one, or else it rides up on you while you pedal/paddle. And definitely try them on.
          2015 Hobie Revolution 13
          2016 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Originally posted by Jesserkirk View Post

I see you can get one that had both inflatable and non inflatable, but cost more $$&

Jackson Kraken 15.5
            Lowrance Hook 2 5

Comment

Originally posted by belairfishing View Post
              I would also suggest you get one without padding on the back. I didn't spend a lot of money on the first one I bought, but definitely get the backless one, or else it rides up on you while you pedal/paddle. And definitely try them on.
              Thanks buddy backless, do you have an inflatable one?

Jackson Kraken 15.5
              Lowrance Hook 2 5

Comment

When choosing a PFD for kayak fishing, your criteria may be different than for fishing in a boat. I am not a fan of the inflatable PFDs -- as others have noted above, they may not inflate when you need them. I like having a PFD with multiple adjustment straps, a good zipper in the front, and lots of pockets with sizes and shapes that are actually useful.

Since you will be wearing your PFD for long trips on the water, it is important that you get one that fits well and that does not impede your paddling stroke or casting ability. A few years ago, I ordered a highly touted new model PFD without ever trying it on. When the box arrived at my house, I took out the PFD, tried it on, and knew within seconds that I did not like it. The large rigid pockets on the front impeded my paddling and casting. I sent it back and learned my lesson -- try it on in a store first.

What do I use in my kayak? I have an NRS Chinook PFD, mentioned above by another poster. Several of my fishing buddies use this vest. NRS is having an online sale right now. Also many of the kayak shops are having sales now or will soon. Chris Dollar's shop in Centreville, MD has items on sale.
                John Veil
                Annapolis
                Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                  When choosing a PFD for kayak fishing, your criteria may be different than for fishing in a boat. I am not a fan of the inflatable PFDs -- as others have noted above, they may not inflate when you need them. I like having a PFD with multiple adjustment straps, a good zipper in the front, and lots of pockets with sizes and shapes that are actually useful.

Since you will be wearing your PFD for long trips on the water, it is important that you get one that fits well and that does not impede your paddling stroke or casting ability. A few years ago, I ordered a highly touted new model PFD without ever trying it on. When the box arrived at my house, I took out the PFD, tried it on, and knew within seconds that I did not like it. The large rigid pockets on the front impeded my paddling and casting. I sent it back and learned my lesson -- try it on in a store first.

What do I use in my kayak? I have an NRS Chinook PFD, mentioned above by another poster. Several of my fishing buddies use this vest. NRS is having an online sale right now. Also many of the kayak shops are having sales now or will soon. Chris Dollar's shop in Centreville, MD has items on sale.
                  Nice Bro! Looking up that NRS Chinook. Thanks for the feedback. Stay safe in the water!

Jackson Kraken 15.5
                  Lowrance Hook 2 5

Comment

Originally posted by Jmoye View Post
                    Thanks buddy backless, do you have an inflatable one?

Jackson Kraken 15.5
                    Lowrance Hook 2 5
                    I don't have in inflatable one, but the example John posted is what I was trying to describe. No padding on the lower back area.
                    2015 Hobie Revolution 13
                    2016 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Plus one on the NRS Chinook.

It has more pockets than I use but they do no harm empty. One pocket has a lanyard to which I attach my waterproof camera. I tuck the camera into that pocket to keep it handy and secure. The PFD also has a loop to which I fasten my VHF radio.

Overall, it's nicely designed. This is my second or third year of ownership. It has held up very well.
                      Mark
                      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Also NRS chinook user.
                        Beware putting too much stuff in the pockets as this can impede reentry if you flip out of the kayak.

Astral Ronny Fisher also gets a lot of positive reviews.

The idea of a backless model is a good one, especially in the heat, however you do lose some flotation without back floats.

Comment

Another strike against inflatable PFDs is they inflate when you don't want them to. A few years ago my father who wore an inflatable PFD fell while getting out of the kayak at the boat ramp in 2 feet of water and his inflatable activated. Instant harness of shame. The PFDs designed for kayak fishing that others have listed will suit your safety and comfort.

Jack

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                          Red Wilderness Tarpon 120
                          2014 Papaya Hobie Outback

Comment

Clearly I’m in the minority here but I like my inflatable PFD. Why? Because I wear it. Nothing else comes close to it in comfort and putting it on is as routine as buckling up. Every couple of years I need to get a replacement CO2 cartridge at about $20. Small price to pay in my book.
                            Mike
                            Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

I'll put another vote in for the Chinook. I wore an MTI Solaris for a couple years, which I feel is another good choice, but prefer the Chinook over it as even better still.

Comment

Working...
                              X