Patapsaco Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patapsaco Report

I gave the Patapsco a tryout of Ft. Armistead this past Sunday. I tried the 4+ hours around the noon tide change. Took off trolling the humps and areas that produced last year with no luck for about an hour. Went over to the Key Bridge and did jig up a few rock, but several catfish. I’m not used to catching the cats so it was a fun experience in the yak. Most were on the north end piles, while the south end piles held the nice perch. The jigging was all on a 1oz L’l Bunker. Tried another troll in the channel after the tide change, but nothing was happening. I think we are waiting for this temp change. Thanks, Dave
    IMG_20180902_110029891.jpgIMG_20180902_124052466.jpgIMG_20180902_105047153.jpg

Originally posted by kidrockfish View Post
    I gave the Patapsco a tryout of Ft. Armistead this past Sunday. I tried the 4+ hours around the noon tide change. Took off trolling the humps and areas that produced last year with no luck for about an hour. Went over to the Key Bridge and did jig up a few rock, but several catfish. I’m not used to catching the cats so it was a fun experience in the yak. Most were on the north end piles, while the south end piles held the nice perch. The jigging was all on a 1oz L’l Bunker. Tried another troll in the channel after the tide change, but nothing was happening. I think we are waiting for this temp change. Thanks, Dave
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]24152[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]24153[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]24154[/ATTACH]
    I was lucky enough to catch a few striper trolling the patapsco a couple weekends ago, but I think for us yakkers, only an early morning troll will catch striper. The water temps are just too high right now, as you mentioned, and outside of the morning, and maybe late evening/overnight, the fish are staying pretty deep in the cooler more oxygenated waters that kayakers typically don't reach, at least by trolling. Deep diving plugs like rapala magnums, though they create a lot of drag, might be the ticket. Next time I'm out trolling, I'm definitely going to give one of mine a shot for an hour or so.

Comment

Its hard to believe it's already September, and the 6AM air temps are still in the 80s.

Surface water temps have been 84-86 across the board, hopefully a cool-down comes soon!
      Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Originally posted by mchottie View Post
        Its hard to believe it's already September, and the 6AM air temps are still in the 80s.

Surface water temps have been 84-86 across the board, hopefully a cool-down comes soon!
        was out Wednesday on my friends boat. Surface temp was 87 in the Bay and 90 inside the Gunpowder.

Comment

Thanks for the report. Catfish are an overlooked fish that are quite fun to catch. I targeted them a few times this year. I can't wait for the fall bite to start.
          Tommy
          2020 PA12 360 - 2019 and 2016 Hobie Outback
          Check Out My Fishing YouTube Channel - TomyTek Outdoors
          https://www.youtube.com/c/tomytekoutdoors

Comment

Working...
          X