Technology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Technology

A question to the forum. Do you think technology (fish finders, gps, mapping software like Navionics, the internet) has helped or hurt the sport of fishing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Helped

Comment

Originally posted by Memory Maker View Post
      Helped
      Which one is a must have for you?

Comment

Helped. Especially fish finders.
        Originally posted by BamaYakFishing View Post
        A question to the forum. Do you think technology (fish finders, gps, mapping software like Navionics, the internet) has helped or hurt the sport of fishing?

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk
        Jim McFalls
        MSG US Army Retired
        US Army Field Band Jazz Ambassadors Class of 1998

2018 Hobie Revo 13 - Sea Grass
        2015 Elie Coast 120XE Angler - Yellow/White
        2015 Pelican Unison 136t Tandem - Orange/White
        Instagram - @jmcfalls1960
        YouTube - Jimbo the Fishin' Musician

Comment

I fish mostly shallow water, 6' or less. I seldom see fish on the screen, but it shows things that attract the fish I'm looking for. The gps with the navionics chip will get me back to a favorite spot and more important will guide me back to the launch should a fog roll in. My unit is both fish finder and gps as well as down scan. The down scan gives a better picture of structure and will show fish even in the shallow water.
          That's a long winded answer that Memory Maker gave in a single word, "Helped".

Comment

Originally posted by BamaYakFishing View Post
            Which one is a must have for you?

all of them

Comment

Clearly, electronic technology helps people catch fish. In fact, an argument can made that its use by commercial interests has helped to deplete Atlantic cod stocks. Fish finders can tell us where fish are, where they should be and where they were. However, I can do each of those things in my kayak within reason by memory or observation. What I lack is the immediacy and pinpoint accuracy of a fish finder screen. For me memory and experience have proven to be enough to catch fish from my plastic boat.

Yesterday, for example, I was fishing a new area of riprap. I knew from experience that such structure often holds fish. What I didn't know is precisely how deep the water was 8 to 10 to feet from shore. I stuck my paddle down until it hit bottom. It did and I knew then that I could possibly attract a topwater bite not only tight to the rocks, but a little farther out. (I did not on that occasion, by the way.) But now I know an important feature of that area that may help me in the future.

I used to have a fish finder. It was a high end Lowrance model with many more applications than I needed or used. After a while, I felt it added an unneeded complexity to my kayak fishing which is usually confined to a relatively small familiar area on most outings. If I had a power boat and ventured often to new areas I would definitely have a fish finder. But in a kayak, I'm mostly in waters I know. I've learned the features and the tendencies well enough to have reasonable success depending on what I see with my eyes in lieu of a screen.

I suspect I'm in the minority here. Also I may be foregoing catches that those with a screen may realize. But I don't fish solely to catch fish. I think many Snaggedliners can relate to that.

I do believe we each would be better anglers depending first on visual cues from nature. If you still need help after that, then by all means enhance it with electronics.
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
              Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
              Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by CaptCHawk View Post
                I fish mostly shallow water, 6' or less. I seldom see fish on the screen, but it shows things that attract the fish I'm looking for. The gps with the navionics chip will get me back to a favorite spot and more important will guide me back to the launch should a fog roll in. My unit is both fish finder and gps as well as down scan. The down scan gives a better picture of structure and will show fish even in the shallow water.
                That's a long winded answer that Memory Maker gave in a single word, "Helped".
                I appreciate the input, I fish a lot of shallow water and the contour lines with Navionics really helps with not only identifying good structure, but also how to approach it. I use a DI unit also and it’s really cool to discover a new bit of submerged cover.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                  Clearly, electronic technology helps people catch fish. In fact, an argument can made that its use by commercial interests has helped to deplete Atlantic cod stocks. Fish finders can tell us where fish are, where they should be and where they were. However, I can do each of those things in my kayak within reason by memory or observation. What I lack is the immediacy and pinpoint accuracy of a fish finder screen. For me memory and experience have proven to be enough to catch fish from my plastic boat.

Yesterday, for example, I was fishing a new area of riprap. I knew from experience that such structure often holds fish. What I didn't know is precisely how deep the water was 8 to 10 to feet from shore. I stuck my paddle down until it hit bottom. It did and I knew then that I could possibly attract a topwater bite not only tight to the rocks, but a little farther out. (I did not on that occasion, by the way.) But now I know an important feature of that area that may help me in the future.

I used to have a fish finder. It was a high end Lowrance model with many more applications than I needed or used. After a while, I felt it added an unneeded complexity to my kayak fishing which is usually confined to a relatively small familiar area on most outings. If I had a power boat and ventured often to new areas I would definitely have a fish finder. But in a kayak, I'm mostly in waters I know. I've learned the features and the tendencies well enough to have reasonable success depending on what I see with my eyes in lieu of a screen.

I suspect I'm in the minority here. Also I may be foregoing catches that those with a screen may realize. But I don't fish solely to catch fish. I think many Snaggedliners can relate to that.

I do believe we each would be better anglers depending first on visual cues from nature. If you still need help after that, then by all means enhance it with electronics.
                  I appreciate the response, and I incorporate the visual cues that you’re talking about in my fishing routine as well. I like the technology aspect of things for several reasons, safety being one, and looking for new productive water is another. I agree that going fishing isn’t always about catching fish, it’s therapeutic, quiet time, and a great way to just sit back and observe God’s splendor. Use technology or not, you’ve still gotta get them to bite, lol.

Comment

Technology

I think it depends on your definition of helped.

Sure, it helps catch more fish and has added to the complexity of fishing. I’m confident that technology has helped with the popularity of the sport and generates a profound trickle down effect.

But there are those who are more mano-a-mano ( or man to fish) and prefer a minimalistic approach, developing the skills needed to succeed without technology. I think they would say technology has harmed the sport.

Me, I like the technology, but sometimes miss the old ways.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                    -Jimbo-

Berkley Powerpro - 100 yrd spool - 30#
                    Berkley Powerpro - 100 yrd spool - 20#
                    Fishbites - Saltwater version

Comment

Yes the technology is here so we might as well use it. Unlike Mark who fishes familiar areas I like to fish areas I haven't fished before so I use all of the technology I can get, especially gps which can help me get back to the launch in unfamiliar areas.

Comment

Originally posted by mike o View Post
                        Yes the technology is here so we might as well use it. Unlike Mark who fishes familiar areas I like to fish areas I haven't fished before so I use all of the technology I can get, especially gps which can help me get back to the launch in unfamiliar areas.

I always try and fish new areas at least twice a month, anytime you can see something new, learn a little about an area, and possibly catch fish, is a benefit in my book. I also like to go back to old haunts and try and pick up something new. I love the safety benefit of having Navionics just so I know how to get back to the ramp. I also will take a picture of the coords if the area and send them to my wife or a fishing buddy just so they have an idea of where I am in case something does happen.

Comment

I do fish new areas occasionally. I rarely go alone so I have the help of another brain if I get lost. Also, my radio has GPS and a compass although the GPS other than the compass and speed is difficult to use. Far easier to use is my smartphone which has maps and unbeknownst to me until recently it has a tracking app on it. When I got home from a recent trip to the Severn, my wife showed me where I had been.
                          Mark
                          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                            I do fish new areas occasionally. I rarely go alone so I have the help of another brain if I get lost. Also, my radio has GPS and a compass although the GPS other than the compass and speed is difficult to use. Far easier to use is my smartphone which has maps and unbeknownst to me until recently it has a tracking app on it. When I got home from a recent trip to the Severn, my wife showed me where I had been.
                            I fish alone more often than not, but that’s due to my work schedule. I use the Navionics app a lot if I’m fishing what I know is shallow back water and I’ve used it as a back up when my depth finder battery quit on me. For $10.00, having the depth contours, depth shading and the ability to pin locations, is well worth the money to me.

Comment

Working...
                            X