Calm/protected location suggestions please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calm/protected location suggestions please

Taking my gf out tomorrow, she will be in my paddle yak and I will be in the outback. Looking for a place that's relatively sheltered from the wind forecasted tmrw, was thinking blackwater but if anyone's got suggestions for places on this side of the bridge, around annapolis or wherever...I would certainly appreciate it. She's a bit nervous around really open water so I'm trying to ease her into kayaking, she and I have been out a few times on piney run without incident and she had a great time. I don't want to ruin my streak of good outings with her haha so thank you in advance

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

PM sent
    2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

My local go-to fishing spot on windy days is Weems Creek via the Tucker St launch (no trailer parking there). Much of the upper portion of Weems should be in the wind shadow of the projected 12-15 mph northerly winds. There are still some perch along the shorelines. Stripers may be there too. If the wind is not as strong as projected, you could push out into the main Severn and paddle down toward the USNA.

Another sheltered spot is Truxtun Park, which puts you into the upper reaches of Spa Creek (the water body that becomes Annapolis Harbor and Ego Alley). There are lots of things to see along the shores of Ego Alley - expensive houses, boats, tourists in Ego Alley.

The Homeport Farm launch into Church Creek is pretty sheltered from the winds too, but it involves dragging your kayak up a long hill at the end of the trip.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Weems or Carrs. Both are relatively local.
        Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Check out the Locust Cove launch at Downs Park in Pasadena.

https://www.aacounty.org/departments...wns/index.html

I just posted about an outing today where I found plenty of protected water despite a strong southern wind.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
          X