Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squeaky Hobie Vantage Seat

Looking for help.

My 2018 Revo has the subject seat and it squeaks as I pedal. I believe the noise is coming from the fabric rubbing against the frame. Has anyone else encountered this issue? If so is there a remedy?

I believe it has gotten worse on recent trips as the seat has stretched due to use. It remains as comfortable as ever and I really appreciate how its slight elevation keeps me dry. Noise certainly was not an issue when it was new. But it is now.

It's annoying because I'm big believer in stealth in up-close fishing. The 180 Mirage drive is wonderfully silent, smooth as butter. it makes no mechanical noise whatsoever although I'm sure the moving fins make subsurface noise. But the seat is likely transmitting a sound through the hull that's as frightful to the fish as it is annoying to me.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Mine, too..but I just figured it has to do with my fat ass
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Yeah, I just dont eat beans before fishing anymore. Problem solved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      -Jimbo-

Berkley Powerpro - 100 yrd spool - 30#
      Berkley Powerpro - 100 yrd spool - 20#
      Fishbites - Saltwater version

Comment

Well, it's not the size of my posterior and it's not gastrointestinal emissions.

I checked the Hobie forum and it's a common complaint. Dry lubricant applied to the seat mesh is the recommended solution.

I experimented this morning with another potential solution. I'll try both on the water and report the results here if anyone cares.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Comment

Squeaky Hobie Vantage Seat

I was out last night on my new outback and the seat had a creak sound. Couldn’t locate exactly where the sound came from. I’ll hit the likely places with dry lube.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
          -Jimbo-

Berkley Powerpro - 100 yrd spool - 30#
          Berkley Powerpro - 100 yrd spool - 20#
          Fishbites - Saltwater version

Comment

I did some dry tests with the seat on my garage floor. I simulated the pedaling motion and reproduced the same sound I am hearing on the water. The noise is from the nylon mesh fabric rubbing against horizontal support bar of the seat's frame. You can see the bar and the fabric in this photo:

Seat1.jpg

Each pedal stroke compresses the fabric just enough to touch the bar. That produces a squeak squeak with each back and forth motion of my legs.

The Hobie forum suggests spraying a dry lubricant on the bar and nylon mesh.

I did not test that approach. However, I wrapped a small towel around the bar like this:

Seat2.jpg

That removed the noise in my garage floor test.

I'll see how works on the water. If it removes the sound without impacting comfort, I'll forego the lubricant.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Comment

Is that horizontal bar ABS plastic? Maybe to save weight, or cut costs down on the Revo/Outback? I'm pretty sure my PA is entirely metal frame seat system. It has its own set of challenges, but most of them are related to my posterior.
              Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Originally posted by mchottie View Post
                Is that horizontal bar ABS plastic? Maybe to save weight, or cut costs down on the Revo/Outback? I'm pretty sure my PA is entirely metal frame seat system. It has its own set of challenges, but most of them are related to my posterior.
                Yes. The front bar and the entire seat frame is plastic.

It appears plenty sturdy. But when the frame comes into contact with the nylon mesh of the seat it makes a sound worse than a 3rd grader with her first violin. (I have one of those in the family now so I can relate. )
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Comment

My Outback seat makes a noise also.

Comment

I had brief window of opportunity between rains today to see if my fix with a towel as discussed above would stop my Hobie's seat from squeaking. I'm pleased to report that it did:

P1040184.jpg

I'm stealthy again!
                    Mark
                    Pasadena, MD

Comment

Thanks for the easy DIY fix...
                      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
                      X