When?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When?

OK, all you experienced yak fishers on the forum- when? When should we venture forth on the Chesapeake Bay again? Has anyone been out yet? It rained like crazy this morning in Charles County, but the sun was out late this afternoon- Give it a few days or what?
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
    OK, all you experienced yak fishers on the forum- when? When should we venture forth on the Chesapeake Bay again? Has anyone been out yet? It rained like crazy this morning in Charles County, but the sun was out late this afternoon- Give it a few days or what?
    Anytime the conditions allow. The water may not be optimal, but there are fish out there. Besides, some folks have new kayaks to use.

Comment

Go for it, Ron. Try that new pedal, pedal,....

I'm going to the tournament tomorrow at Camp Wright.
      2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
      2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
      2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Ron,

I know how you feel. I am tempted to go to Port Tobacco tomorrow morning, but the little voice in my head keeps saying "part of Chapel Point Road may still be closed", the state park may not be open", or "my little car may not be able to make down the gravel road to the river". The last one is what is stopping me from going because the road to the river does wash out during storms and you need a truck to get through all the ruts and holes.

But I just know the fish are biting...(as they always do, when I am not there!)
        WS Tarpon 120 Mango

Comment

it's a mystery. i think rivers are muddy but i saw a report that said water was still clear at mainstem of ches bay near annapolis as of yesterday afternoon. doubt if it will stay that way with what's coming down from susky.

i've witnessed minnows orienting towards shoreline in muddy waters. so i tried casting a popper w/o luck. maybe other fish are hanging down below the level of muddy water. dunno. but if i was yakking anywhere - i'd tow a ratltrap.

long story short - you won't know if you don't go. good luck and tight lines.

Comment

I am at the Tournament on Kent Island. I threw a rod out from shore at Camp Wright armed with just some special night crawlers called glow worms. I ended up catching several 10 to 11 inch perch and several baby rockfish in 30 minutes. The water was calm on the Bay. I will be going out for a few hours in the morning. I was surprised how good the fishing was today despite the rain.

Comment

Originally posted by WST120 View Post
              Ron,

I know how you feel. I am tempted to go to Port Tobacco tomorrow morning, but the little voice in my head keeps saying "part of Chapel Point Road may still be closed", the state park may not be open", or "my little car may not be able to make down the gravel road to the river". The last one is what is stopping me from going because the road to the river does wash out during storms and you need a truck to get through all the ruts and holes.

But I just know the fish are biting...(as they always do, when I am not there!)
              You should have been here yesterday! That is what I used to hear from the Red Drum Tackle Shop in Buxton..Man, we slayed em! Where were you? Story of my life- a day late and a dollar short- But that isn't the deal with me right now- I want to test out the Outback I bought and see if I made the right decision- I looked hard at the Revolution but my size and weight caused me to go with the Outback- my butt and thighs just interfered with the rudder controls in the Revolution- I lucked out with my purchase- it had already been upgraded to turbo fins and sailing rudder- so there is not much I need to do other than rig up a fish finder/GPS combo-
              Tuf- I have loaded the Outback up twice on my car- I can't tell any difference in weight from my Prowler- It loads just as easy- no problems with my suction cup loaders assisting- My boat is absolutely butt ugly shit colored green- I have named it the ugly duckling- only a Mother could love it.
              Last edited by ronaultmtd; 09-10-2011, 06:31 AM.

Comment

All the tributaries I've seen so far have been coffee brown, very muddy. That's all going into the bay now...
                2010 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

My Hobie Trax 2 cart was delivered a little while ago by Fedex- totally ready to go but my Sister says the water at Cobb Island is brown and high- up to the top of her docks- I'll wait until I get back from my business trip next week.

Comment

Wait till you fish it. That duckling will turn out to be a swan. I went to the tournament today at Kent Island. The Outback is sooo comfortable. I didn't get any butt pain today and I was in the water over 5 hours. The water was so calm, so I put my legs forward and over the sides, leaned back on the seat with my head on the backpad, closed my eyes and relaxed for a few moments. Two traveler yakers paddled by, smiled and greeted me as I was relaxing. This yak is roomy for me. Also, I had a dry ride.

The turbo fins is just right for leg pumping speed. The new sailing rudder is very responsive, which came in handy when I worked the pilings at the Bay Bridge early this morning.

Glad you can load the yak with no problem, and with the same loader.
                    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

"wait till you fish it..." Tufnik

That is what has me chaffing at the bit to go- Fishing with it for the first time-not knowing but expectations- My God Son gets one of my old Yaks and he is all excited about that- so I will keep two- Hobie Outback and the Ocean Prowler- two pretty decent SOT fishing kayaks...

By the way, the previous owner a U.S. Army Chief Warrant Officer, who just got orders to deploy, caught a 23 pound Snakehead out of it- so the "Ugly Duckling" catches fish- fish must be color blind-

But more importantly Tuf- how did you do in the Tournament? Did you catch any decent fish?
                      Last edited by ronaultmtd; 09-10-2011, 10:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X