Stik Boats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stik Boats

Some guys in Texas combined a jet ski with a kayak....

This is what it looks like:

http://stikboats.com/

Interesting possibilities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -manny

Hobie Outback
    Wilderness Systems 130T
    Hobie Outfitter

WOW I knew Jet Ski fishing was starting to get real traction, but this Stik Boat is an interesting niche right in the middle of it.

Thanks for the info Manny.

Yak67
    2017 Hobie PA-12 Camo

Comment

Interesting concept and a fun ride but certainly needs a trailer at 350 pounds.

We've come a long way from float tubes as personal watercraft for fishing.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Yeah I have seen this same model with a few different brand names attached to it. They always appealed to me over the jet skis made for fishing, mostly because they're cheaper, lighter, and give you a bit more fishing space. They're about twice the price of a solo skiff (w/motor) but they seem to have a lot more features and storage, though I don't know if they have scupper holes in case of water coming over the bow (but they've got 2 bilges). I think they'd end up being about 50 pounds heavier than a solo skiff (w/motor), and I would love to see a comparison between the 2, since they're both motorized kayaks to an extent.

Comment

I would point out that jet propulsion watercraft technology is susceptible to ingesting foreign objects into its impeller mechanism (i.e. sea grasses). If left unattended, or a large clump is ingested, it will cause the engine to overheat and eventually quit.
          Not a big deal for jet skis being run in open, deeper water where less debris can be expected, but for a watercraft meant to operate in a shallow, “marshy” environment such as a fishing kayak, debris ingestion may be a concern.

BL: I would definitely do my research and test drive thoroughly before purchasing.

-manny

Hobie Outback
          Wilderness Systems 130T
          Hobie Outfitter

Comment

Perhaps I am too "old school", but I don't get the concept of what is essentially an extra heavy kayak with a gas motor (propeller or jet drive), and which realistically requires a trailer. For a similar amount of money, you can buy a new or used small boat that offers more space, more range, and the ability to take multiple people with you. If you need to store the new motorized kayaks on a trailer anyway, you can get a small boat with a trailer.

I am somewhat prejudiced since I own and run a lightweight 16' center console/flats boat (Scout 162 Sportfish) with a 70-hp outboard motor and an electric trolling motor. I can easily tow it with a 6-cylinder vehicle, and the entire boat and trailer fits in my garage. The cost of such a boat (when purchased used) is comparable or not much higher than the motorized kayaks. I can take two other guys with me for fishing or 4 other people for a sightseeing ride. I currently have 14 rod holders on board and padded seating for 4, plus lots of built in storage bins and a large cooler. I can run the boat into 18" of water with the gas motor and 12"-15" with the trolling motor to sneak into shallow spots.

Admittedly, these new powered kayaks look snazzy, but what are you getting for your money compared to some other type of vessel? Feel free to educate me on the appeal of these new vessels.
            John Veil
            Annapolis
            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
              Perhaps I am too "old school", but I don't get the concept of what is essentially an extra heavy kayak with a gas motor (propeller or jet drive), and which realistically requires a trailer. For a similar amount of money, you can buy a new or used small boat that offers more space, more range, and the ability to take multiple people with you. If you need to store the new motorized kayaks on a trailer anyway, you can get a small boat with a trailer.

I am somewhat prejudiced since I own and run a lightweight 16' center console/flats boat (Scout 162 Sportfish) with a 70-hp outboard motor and an electric trolling motor. I can easily tow it with a 6-cylinder vehicle, and the entire boat and trailer fits in my garage. The cost of such a boat (when purchased used) is comparable or not much higher than the motorized kayaks. I can take two other guys with me for fishing or 4 other people for a sightseeing ride. I currently have 14 rod holders on board and padded seating for 4, plus lots of built in storage bins and a large cooler. I can run the boat into 18" of water with the gas motor and 12"-15" with the trolling motor to sneak into shallow spots.

Admittedly, these new powered kayaks look snazzy, but what are you getting for your money compared to some other type of vessel? Feel free to educate me on the appeal of these new vessels.
              You make some strong points John. I agree.
              I would also add with a motor-powered kayak you have now taken on the same maintenance routine (aka “headaches”) as powered boat owners (oil changes, spark plugs, fuel filters, impeller changes, temp bulb swap outs, winterization etc...).
              If your signing up for all that, plus the additional list of maintenance items for the trailer you will need in order to tow the 250-350lb boat, why not just invest in a more traditional boat and get much more for your money?
              I may be old school like you, but I really enjoy the simplicity a pedal-powered fishing kayak offers.

-manny

Hobie Outback
              Wilderness Systems 130T
              Hobie Outfitter

Comment

I think we may be initially enthralled with the range and speed of motorized kayaks that we are denied even in our pedal boats.

Yet, if we succumb to that, we may discount the many advantages of kayak fishing that we often comment about here -- its simplicity; its stealth; its peacefulness; its ability to put us in waters where motor boats cannot possibly reach.

Frankly, I think the range limitations of a manually driven kayak, make me a better angler. I cannot depend on a run and gun approach to find willing fish. I have to cajole bites from the fish that are present in areas relatively close to my launch site. That's a challenge and a good test of my angling skills.
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                  I think we may be initially enthralled with the range and speed of motorized kayaks that we are denied even in our pedal boats.

Yet, if we succumb to that, we may discount the many advantages of kayak fishing that we often comment about here -- its simplicity; its stealth; its peacefulness; its ability to put us in waters where motor boats cannot possibly reach.

Frankly, I think the range limitations of a manually driven kayak, make me a better angler. I cannot depend on a run and gun approach to find willing fish. I have to cajole bites from the fish that are present in areas relatively close to my launch site. That's a challenge and a good test of my angling skills.
                  Well said Mark!

-manny

Hobie Outback
                  Wilderness Systems 130T
                  Hobie Outfitter

Comment

I'll weigh in here, having fished from a Hobie Outback for the majority of my kayak fishing life and I've had a Solo Skiff (Pic of SS Here: https://www.facebook.com/chesapeake....type=3&theater) for almost a year....although I didn't really start using it until May when I was comfortable getting used to it in warmer waters. I've spent a lot of time contemplating my preference and the difference in the fishing experience as well as fishing mentality.

I really got the Solo Skiff to chase fish in the summer. Kayaks fall a little short when the major bite is in the main stem of the bay and a long run is needed. I had fun zipping across the bay in it. Now...you have to choose your days because it can get rough out there on a windy day. I've found myself continuing to use it through Sept and Oct for hitting a variety of top water spots before the sun gets high. The neat thing is that I can get into really shallow, jagged waters with the Solo where I'd never take a boat. I fished in it yesterday and was able to hit top water at a few locations, then switch to trolling, moving across the river to troll elsewhere and then jigging at other locations. I fished it like a kayak, but saved a ton of transit time.

My Solo is outfitted with a 6 HP gas motor and a Torqeedo Ultra Light. The Torqeedo is really the key part to the whole thing fishing like a kayak. I troll with the Torqeedo just like I always did, but I've hooked it up to a steering mechanism so I can spin on a dime and make casts much more comfortably, especially with a swivel seat. It's really pretty awesome. While on the water, I can probably say the fishing experience is a little more fun than on the Outback, although I reserve the right to change my opinion :-) It also still feels like fishing on a kayak, a very fast kayak. It's close to the water, highly maneuverable, goes into skinny water and still gives that serene feeling.

All that said, there are drawbacks to our standard kayaks. It's big and heavy. It's about a foot longer and at 150 pounds, it's a bit heavier too. Compared to my Outback, it's a beast but perhaps not compared to a PA. That extra weight makes everything outside of being on the water, much more difficult. Loading/unloading, storage and transit. I had to get a heavy duty garage hoist to store the Solo. (Video Here: https://www.facebook.com/chesapeake....7873525813230/) I also invested in Boonedox Landing Gear for transit. But it wheels right into the back of my truck, no trailer needed. A trailer is a deal breaker for me. (Pic Here: https://www.facebook.com/chesapeake....type=3&theater) It's not a huge deal to get the kayak from the garage to the water, but it does involve a bit of physical strength if not using a trailer. Many use a trailer for that reason.

Onto the mentality it creates. It makes you think more like a power boater. If you've fished with someone on a boat, it's all about moving and running/gunning. The idea is to find a large school of feeding fish. That is contrary to how I learned to find and catch fish. When you can only move 3 mph, you tend to take notice of things faster vessels completely miss. Those observations can make for great anglers. I would fear a new angler getting a solo skiff would miss out on this mainstay of kayak angling. For a guy like myself, I still fish it like a kayak, but take advantage of running/gunning when I want.

The other downside is that everything is mechanical. With the addition of a Torqeedo, I have 2 propulsion methods in addition to paddling, which is not fun in the solo. This means, you are at the mercy of mechanical failure. It hasn't happened to me, but at some point, everything will go wrong.

But really, the solo skiff is really awesome. It's heavy and is harder to get to the ramp than my Outback, which is the most major drawback in my mind. It's definitely earned a spot in my fleet. We'll see which one I gravitate to more over time, but I haven't touched the Outback since spring. Some of that is the fact the solo is a new toy, some is the best pattern has been far and the other part is that I can try a few of my favorite fishing locations in a single day without relaunching.

Here's another video of it in action for what I really got it for, summer stripers (https://www.facebook.com/chesapeake....7967003470549/)

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                    Kokatat Pro Staff
                    Torqeedo Pro Staff
                    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                    Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Yak Fish View Post
                      For a guy like myself, I still fish it like a kayak, but take advantage of running/gunning when I want.
                      I really think that is where these hybridish kayak boats would shine. I'd love to have one just to extend the range of places I already take a kayak or so I don't have to worry about planning my trips around which direction the current is flowing to avoid having to paddle against it.
                      Brian

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post

I completely agree John. I have boats and an Outback. In MD the boat is great for friends and family, running and gunning, long distance etc. but after a few days of running and gunning I find myself yearning to get back on the Yak. Also, catching a large fish on the kayak is a more exciting experience. When I'm back in Ohio the yak has significantly increased number of days I fish just because I can go on a moments notice and if the bite is slow just being out there on a kayak is enjoyable. I don't feel these hybrids can really cover all bases.
                        2019 Hobie PA 12
                        2018 Hobie Outback Dune
                        2018 Lifetime Triton Angler 100

Comment

Originally posted by Bayvalley1 View Post
                          I completely agree John. I have boats and an Outback. In MD the boat is great for friends and family, running and gunning, long distance etc. but after a few days of running and gunning I find myself yearning to get back on the Yak. Also, catching a large fish on the kayak is a more exciting experience. When I'm back in Ohio the yak has significantly increased number of days I fish just because I can go on a moments notice and if the bite is slow just being out there on a kayak is enjoyable. I don't feel these hybrids can really cover all bases.
                          It is a luxury to have both kayaks and a boat. I can choose my vessel based on where I want to go, the weather, and how much time I have.
                          John Veil
                          Annapolis
                          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
                          X