Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kayak Fishing in College?

Absolutely!

On Saturday, 9 March, 2019 Anne Arundel Community College (AACC) will offer a one-day, 4-hour adult education noncredit course on Kayak Fishing at its Arnold Campus. The course will be taught by frequent Snaggedline contributors Mark Bange and John Veil.

We have developed a comprehensive curriculum on kayak fishing that covers:

• Factors to consider in selecting a paddle or pedal-driven fishing kayak
    • Essential gear – PFDs, Paddles, Rods, Reels, Lines, Leaders and Lures
    • Ancillary equipment – Carts, Rod Holders, Fish Finders, VHF Radios, etc.
    • Safety on the water
    • Effective kayak angling techniques and strategies:-- Reading the water -- Using structure to your advantage-- Lure selection and use-- Trolling -- Casting -- Fly fishing
    • Tidal and freshwater species you can catch from your kayak.
    • How to target those species.
    • Specific locations to launch your kayak for the best fishing in Anne Arundel county and beyond.

We stress easy-to-master, highly effective techniques. Further, we’ll have a sampling of our tackle and two kayaks present in the classroom to demonstrate rigging possibilities.

We look forward to a conversational session with you where we share our kayak angling knowledge and answer your questions about the hobby. You’ll also get a copy of our slides and a certificate of completion from AACC.

Here is the link to AACC’s winter 2019 noncredit course catalog:
    https://www.aacc.edu/media/college/2...2018.10.22.pdf

Our course “Kayak Fishing” is on page 68. The course number is AHC-504-101.

There are numerous ways to register and they are found here:
    https://www.aacc.edu/apply-and-regis...-registration/

Enrollment is presently underway.

Lastly, hard copy college catalogs with mail-in registration forms are also available at all Anne Arundel County public libraries.

John and I look forward to seeing you in class!
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

We recognize that many Snaggedline members are already skilled kayak anglers. Although you are likely to pick up a few tips from the class, a more realistic target audience is folks who are curious about kayak fishing but have not made the plunge yet. Please let friends and family members know of this opportunity.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

This is too cool guys. What an awesome way to spread knowledge about our sport. Congratulations and good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Keith

2015 Sand Hobie Outback

2017 Orange Camo Vibe Sea Ghost 130

2015 Camo Ascend FS12T

Comment

Turn this into a college major and I'll quit my job tomorrow and go back to school. Forever.
        Matt
        Instagram: @sunrisekayakfishing
        2019 Vibe Sea Ghost 130- "The Blurple Nurple"
        10' Pelican Angler 100- "The Starter Kit"

Comment

Gents,

This is cool beyond words. Now, if I could just get this class up and running in the music department at Towson University, where I teach, I would NEVER retire!

Kudos!

Jim

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk
          Jim McFalls
          MSG US Army Retired
          US Army Field Band Jazz Ambassadors Class of 1998

2018 Hobie Revo 13 - Sea Grass
          2015 Elie Coast 120XE Angler - Yellow/White
          2015 Pelican Unison 136t Tandem - Orange/White
          Instagram - @jmcfalls1960
          YouTube - Jimbo the Fishin' Musician

Comment

You guys are going to responsible for so many kids taking 5 years to graduate now, but def worth it! I am constantly wondering if I had been as into kayak fishing now as I was back in college, would I have graduated on time, or at all?

Comment

Your 'street cred' has doubled! Both Published Authors AND Adjuct Faculty!!!

Congrats, this sounds like an awesome way to spread the word about our sport.
              Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Originally posted by mchottie View Post
                Your 'street cred' has doubled! Both Published Authors AND Adjuct Faculty!!!

Congrats, this sounds like an awesome way to spread the word about our sport.
                You are welcome to call us Professor Bange and Professor Veil now.
                John Veil
                Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

2o9l4x.jpg

By the way, there is a fly pattern called "The Professor"

Unknown.jpeg
                  Last edited by bignose; 12-05-2018, 10:49 PM.

Comment

Bravo gentlemen! Too cool [emoji41]

Here is a suggested final paper title for your students:

“Kayak Fishing the Chesapeake Bay: dystopia or dreamland? Musings from the best college course - ever!”

Congratulations to the Bange and Veil teaching team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    -manny

Hobie Outback
                    Wilderness Systems 130T
                    Hobie Outfitter

Comment

Just a reminder -- Mark and I have been approved to teach a 4-hour class at the Anne Arundel Community College on Kayak Fishing. The class will be held on March 9 from 9:00 am to 1:00 pm at the main campus. It will be held in a classroom. However we will bring several kayaks and lots of gear to show the students how to rig a kayak for fishing.

Registration is now open for the class. The photo below is a flyer that gives more information about the class. At this point we have six students signed up – this should be enough for the March class to run. Our contact at AACC has already scheduled the class to run again in the spring semester on May 11.

Please share this with any persons who may be interested in learning more about kayak fishing.

flyer - kayak fishing class.jpg
                      John Veil
                      Annapolis

Comment

Mark and I are prepared to teach our 4-hour class on kayak fishing at the Anne Arundel Community College (AHC504) on Sat, March 9. As of last evening, we have 12 students signed up -- the course capacity is 20 students. If you know of anyone who is interested in this class, please tell them to register soon.

The same course is already scheduled for the spring semester on Sat, May 11. Registration for that date should be open now.
                        John Veil
                        Annapolis

Comment

Thanks for posting this reminder John.

I'm really looking forward to this Saturday and meeting our students.

I believe we have put together a comprehensive curriculum to cover the basics and beyond in kayak fishing while leaving plenty of time to encourage discussion and entertain questions. If folks happen to leave the classroom at the end of the day wanting more information on the topic (which I doubt) it won't be because we didn't try.
                          Mark
                          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
                          X