Keeping a Fishing Log -- Or not.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keeping a Fishing Log -- Or not.

The new year is upon us and once again I face this question: Do I keep a fishing log?

Through the 1980s, I was very diligent about it and wrote long narratives of each trip. They’re well written, if I do say so myself, and provide a good record of a long-ago time. They actually came in handy to help me recall certain events when I wrote my book. But to be honest, I don’t have the patience to do that now.

Two years ago, I tried a continuous WORD document narrative on my laptop. That didn’t last past February. I tried this year with a manual approach -- a brand-new spiral notebook and good intentions. I recorded just three trips.

I think I need something less onerous and quicker along the lines of Jack Webb’s, “Just the facts, ma’am.” Or maybe I need nothing at all. I’ve been through many fishing seasons and surely know the seasonal patterns. But there must be some value to recording trips.

Perhaps those of you who record your outings could share how you do it. What essential facts do you record and how?

I’d appreciate it.

Many thanks in advance.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Mark -

I do not keep any type of organized journal. On each day that I fish, I circle that date on my calendar book and indicate if I fished via my kayak, my boat, in Tampa, or in some other way. I total the fishing days each month and keep a running track (120 fishing days in 2018 -- down from 146 days in 2017 and 162 days in 2016). For my boat trips, I keep a record of engine hours, miles covered, who fished with me, and a general summary of what I caught and where for each trip. I do not do this for my kayak trips.

My digital photos are stored by date, so I can look back at photos to see where I was and what I caught on any given trip, assuming I caught something noteworthy enough to warrant a photo.

I have a pretty good memory (at least for the time being) of where I fished and found fish. So functionally, I keep a virtual logbook in my brain. I mark waypoints on the FF/GPS on my pedal kayak and my boat for places where I catch fish. This allows me to return to those locations on future trips.

Keeping an organized written logbook can be helpful for planning next year's trips, but as you have found, it can quickly become a chore.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I do keep a log of each trip and have since 2012’ish. It has helped me immensely in figuring out the ESVA red drum fishery; so much that I can almost tell you where they’ll be depending on the water temp. I enjoy those writings because they’re exciting. Other trips that I journal, I enjoy a little less and over the years they have become a chore to some extent.

At this point, I don’t feel I need to journal every trip in order to be successful on future trips, but I journal on anyway. I do it now more for my son and for a much older version of myself. At some point I imagine they’ll mean something to him. When I’m no longer able to fish those rigorous areas, I’m sure I’ll enjoy sitting back with a beer while I read back over pages of good memories. As much as I want to give it up, I’ve kept it going this long, so I won’t quit now. Besides, what else would I do for those first 30 minutes at my desk each morning?

Hobie Fishing Team Member
      Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
      2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

I am really big on documenting each trip, because like Doug said above, you can really hone in on what the fish are doing and their behavior is really predictable. I've put in some many years of trial and error, that I don't really have to do that anymore, and you can just whittle away at the details until you can almost guarantee some level of success on each trip. The things that are most important to me are dates, water temps, water depth and trends (warming, cooling, steady). As my family grows, fishing time shrinks. So, I feel like I'm writing notes to my future self when I get more time back :-)

The process shouldn't be laborious because you'll never keep it up, especially if you're like John and are fishing every other day :-) Lucky dog! But I review my notes and pictures before each trip during that time of year. It's helped me find bigger fish because they don't always follow the same pattern as smaller fish, which I've found really interesting over the years. So, like anything it depends on how much or little you want to get into this sport or put into it.

Cool thread guys....and Happy New Year.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Kokatat Pro Staff
        Torqeedo Pro Staff
        Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
        Alan

Comment

I used to keep a time, date, location, fish caught log of my trips, but it got to be too much...I don’t do any monster fishing any more...got too old for long, drawn-out battling the heavy weights...and for the species I now fish for I just rely upon experience and conditions...
          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Guys,

Thank you for your input.

I found a printable calendar online with date blocks large enough to record where I fished and what I caught. The calendar will serve as a quick reference.

I’ll add to that with a running handwritten narrative in a spiral notebook to capture the other essential data points you've mentioned in this thread.

I actually created a data point worksheet with WORD software but after thinking about it, I believe filling it out would become burdensome. I think I’ll do better freestyle in paragraph form -- the old-fashioned way, pen to paper. That way I can be brief or detailed depending on the merits or uniqueness of the outing.

I’m going to do my best to keep this as a 2019 resolution.

In fact, I’ll have to start immediately. I took advantage of today’s unusual 60-degree temperature and trekked across the bridge for more pond pickerel on the fly.

My first catch of 2019:

P1030714.jpg

One of 11 today for my log.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I keep Fishing log almost all the time. The only times I didn't do were when a back-to-back fishing log was very similar to the previous ones during the same time period for the same target species, or I was too busy that time.

I kept my log on youtube. I don't keep GPS coordinates for fishing spots. But I keep structures (that shows the locations) on my youtube video. I can tell the fishing spots by referencing structures on the video. I intentionally put certain structures so I and my friends who fish the same water can tell the very spots.
              I always keep water temp - this s the most important thing to me when I plan the trips years after. I can almost predict fish availability correctly when season and target species change.
              I keep water depths only when they are relevant.

The equipment and how I did were all in the videos.
              The most of the safety issues I had were mentioned in the videos so that I constantly remind myself and others for the thorough preparations.

Having public video fishing logs helps me because I have access from anywhere. Also I don't have explain multiple times because the most of answers are already in the public video logs.

Joe
              Last edited by ComeOnFish; 01-02-2019, 08:13 AM.
              Fish like there's no tomorrow.
              Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
              https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

I keep a log, and agree with everything previously written. I don't have too much to add to the conversation with the exception of trending. To help enhance my trending of rockfish I put the month and year where we had good keepers on a chart. I have a coffee table with a chart of the upper bay to Point Lookout (South is on the right side) with fish indicators. This is a picture of it from back in 2013. Many more additions since then. In fact too many, and I might need to thin it out. I have a few 76-78 year only ones from fishing with my dad growing up. Limited content in my early logs. I also had limited fishing 80's -90's due to work & kids, but have enjoyed the last 20 years. Thanks, Dave
                coffetable.jpg

Comment

Keeping a Fishing Log -- Or not.

Like many of you I’ve started (and abandoned) many attempts at a fishing log. For me fishing logs were too cumbersome, too complicated, and too time-consuming.
                  My latest effort involves an unimaginative entry titled “Fishing Log” and it resides on the NOTES app of my iPhone.

For me, it’s about convenience. If it’s not convenient, I won’t do it. I figure I have the phone hanging around my neck in a waterproof bag anyway so why not take advantage and jot down information right there when I’m on the water (rather than relying on my memory after the fact).

By far the most convenient part of this technique involves using the microphone function on the phone’s keyboard - this way I don’t even have to type my entries or remove the phone from its waterproof enclosure!
                  I note the date, time, water temp, water clarity, tide stage, and sky conditions amongst other pertinent environmental factors.
                  I also begin most trips by trolling paddletails in a methodical search pattern looking for the fish. When I find them, I note the paddle tail color and the depth at which the paddle tail was being dragged. I accompany my phone’s data entry process by also marking waypoints on my chartplotter for every fish I catch. Over time the GPS screen paints a clearly visible pattern that is supplemented by the information on my phone’s diary.

If I want, NOTES allows me to print the log entries and establish a hard copy record. But if I want to keep things strictly virtual, as well as for added convenience, I can view my entries on other Apple products (like my iPad) because the data is automatically uploaded and saved to Apple’s iCloud when my phone re-connects to WiFi. Finally, NOTES permits me to add attachments - like pictures - to my entries. Once again, convenience reigns because the pictures I would most likely attach will be on my phone anyway. In the end, I not only have a textual but a visual record all in one place.

Admittedly, this method is not terribly sophisticated or would survive scientific scrutiny, but it is convenient and works for my simple needs.

Tight Lines.
                  -manny
                  Last edited by baitball; 01-04-2019, 07:58 AM.
                  -manny

Hobie Outback
                  Wilderness Systems 130T
                  Hobie Outfitter

Comment

Really interesting topic! I started using a log I created in Excel this year, but I skipped around trying to learn a variety of locations, species, methods, and etc., which made it difficult to import enough data to document any sort of trend outside of the localized patterns I picked up on over the past two years. I ended up using mental notes, comparing with friends, and reviewing the GPS path on my fish finder.

One thought that comes to mind that has not been mentioned, is the use of historical fishing data as a different type of fishing "log". The Virginia Marine Resource Commission has provided data (for free) on angler reported citation length or weight species since 2000 (18 years of data). I'm not sure if other states have a comparable open source database, but if they do and you are tech savy enough, you can find a lot of information associated with catching various citation-sized fish.
                    J

Comment

Snaggedline.com is my log. I document my significant outings. On my phone I did start a 2018 fishing log in the notes application. My last entry was July 21, 2018. Used it to mostly document some trips to new locations.

I'll probably do something similar again in 2019. To document new locations and new flies/techniques.

Comment

Originally posted by Jman View Post
                        Really interesting topic! I started using a log I created in Excel this year, but I skipped around trying to learn a variety of locations, species, methods, and etc., which made it difficult to import enough data to document any sort of trend outside of the localized patterns I picked up on over the past two years. I ended up using mental notes, comparing with friends, and reviewing the GPS path on my fish finder.

One thought that comes to mind that has not been mentioned, is the use of historical fishing data as a different type of fishing "log". The Virginia Marine Resource Commission has provided data (for free) on angler reported citation length or weight species since 2000 (18 years of data). I'm not sure if other states have a comparable open source database, but if they do and you are tech savy enough, you can find a lot of information associated with catching various citation-sized fish.
                        I tried the web site. And I also added some info for Striper and cobia fishing in VA. I have to do some belated reports for striper and cobia fishing last year to journal site as required. The site is OK. But I couldn't upload pictures at all for 2 years.

BTW, did you move to the far north upper bay?
                        The water temp at CBBT rose to 47 F 5 days ago from 44F. And it will stay at 47 F this weekend. I am trying to land first tog for the new year on Sunday.

Joe
                        Last edited by ComeOnFish; 01-03-2019, 08:08 AM.
                        Fish like there's no tomorrow.
                        Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
                        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Originally posted by RavensDfense View Post
                          It has helped me immensely in figuring out the ESVA red drum fishery; so much that I can almost tell you where they’ll be
                          I call BS on that. You just follow Gary around! And I follow you! lol
                          Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Slobber Bob View Post
                            I call BS on that. You just follow Gary around! And I follow you! lol
                            I secretly follow you! You’re about fishiest guy I know.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
                            Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                            2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

if it's simple I'll keep it up so all I do is make notes on my Garmin GPS.
                              2019 Hobie PA 12
                              2018 Hobie Outback Dune
                              2018 Lifetime Triton Angler 100

Comment

Working...
                              X