New rod problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New rod problem

I recently needed a new rod so I went to a local tackle shop and they had a 13 fishing rod on sale in the size and action I wanted. It was regularly $120 on sale for $80. The third time I used it I noticed that one of the guides was missing the insert. I sent 13 fishing an email about the problem and received one back saying they received mine and it was being reviewed. Never heard from them again. I read on their website that they don't warranty the guides on their rods and I wasn't going to send it back to them anyway as it would cost more to ship it then to have it fixed. It would have been nice to get a reply of some kind though. It will be the last 13 fishing product I buy.

That's a Bummer Mike. Thanks for the heads up on the vendor / company. They only way we know who's out there dealing fairly and honestly with the customers is when someone tells us this info.

Yak67
    2019 Hobie Outback
    2017 Hobie PA-12 Camo

Comment

Post a pic of the guides and maybe we can help you find a matching replacement. There is a guide size paper tool you can print out to match the ring size as well which helps. There are several of us on here that repair guides for beer, wild meat, or high fives that might be able to help or there are local rod builders and tackle shops that can do it in the $7-$20 dollar range.
      Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
      Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
      https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

thanks for letting me know about the sizing tool, I was considering fixing it myself but I have another rod that needs to be repaired also so I'm taking them to a local rod builder.

Comment

Steve at Backyard Custom Rods does good work and is reasonable and responsive.
          Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
          Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
          https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
            Steve at Backyard Custom Rods does good work and is reasonable and responsive.
            yeah, second Steve Fogle. He's building me a rod right now. The rings on the guides very commonly break, especially when dropped or if they get stuck in something. A guide is a simple replacement for a guy like Steve. It takes just a few minutes, but about a day for the epoxy to dry.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Kokatat Pro Staff
            Torqeedo Pro Staff
            Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
            Alan

Comment

I am going to take it to Steve.

Comment

Unfortunately your not the only one I've heard had problems with the 13 fishing rod. Replacing guides is fun and easy, makes for a good winter project.
                2019 Hobie PA 12
                2018 Hobie Outback Dune
                2018 Lifetime Triton Angler 100

Comment

Working...
                X