Projects for Cabin Fever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Projects for Cabin Fever

Looking at some recent posts reminiscing about last years’ better fishing days, reminds me we are all suffering from the dreaded mid-winter “Cabin Fever” of being indoors for prolonged periods of time and the lack of vitamin D from sunlight...one of my projects to take some of the sting out is to refurbish my hard baits with new rings and in line single hooks, good scrubbing and cleaning my rods and reels...replacing old braid that is over two years old on reels and installing upgraded accessories on my kayaks...the upgrades are waiting for a couple of warmer, dry days, but the other projects have all be accomplished...watch Elias on You Tube kayak fishing down in NC is good for a few minutes of vicarious enjoyment as is refreshing my knot skills with Lefty Krey’s excellent book “Practical Fishing knots”...pulling up my digital pictorial of last year’s catches always puts a smile on my face remembering the companionship and comradrie of the SMOG crew and some of the new guys who joined us for some pretty decent days on the waters of southern Maryland...even the slow days were enjoyable and rewarding...these are my way of coping with cabin fever...so what are your solutions to our mid-winter cabin fever? Here are some pictures on the Outback project I just completed.

IMG_0310.jpgIMG_0312.jpgIMG_0317.jpgIMG_0318.jpg
    Last edited by ronaultmtd; 01-23-2019, 05:35 PM.
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Ron - As a fellow "Old Guy" with time on his hands, I can take enjoyment in touching and handling my tackle and replacing or repairing as needed. In the weeks leading up to the HOW flea market last Sat, I made an inventory of all my fishing tackle and ancillary gear. I tried to make tough decisions on which items I had actually used and was likely to use vs. those items that were just sitting there. In doing that, I was able to review each of my Plano boxes, my rods and reels, and other gear and assemble a large batch to be sold. Then I got to place price tags on each and every item (good therapy to handle the lures and look up fair value on the internet).

My actual sales on Sat and on some pre-show online sales proved more successful than I had anticipated. I moved out many things I no longer need or want, and was able to spend much of my proceeds on things I will actually use. My tackle universe is streamlined and improved, plus I got to play with and touch a lot of pieces of gear.

The other way I cope with the cold weather is to travel south to fish in warmer climates. I fished in Florida in Dec and early Jan and am heading back in Feb. These forays to a warmer climate break up the winter months for me.

I keep many digital photos of my fishing trips on my laptop. They are organized by date. I often scroll through the photos as reminders of the fun times I had during the previous season.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

My projects are to finally start building everything I will fish with and to probably go into the lure and rod building business

Comment

I tie some flies...not as many as folks might think. It's very easy to outproduce your needs when sitting at fly tying vise. I often tie flies specific to my needs and whims right before a trip in season. But there's something nice about tying now when it's miserably cold outside.

I also tie bucktail jigs -- some as stand-alone jigs and some for my spinner baits. I don't pour the lead at this time of year. I reserve that for the fall or spring and do it with my garage doors open and a fan running for ventilation. I therefore have a stock of undressed, powder painted jigs that I can access.

I need to find those hooks that John Veil gave me and tie bucktails on them for him for his poppers. He reminded me about that at the flea market. Sorry John, they're somewhere in my garage. I simply forgot.

I maintenance my rods and reels throughout the year. I don't need to do that now. They're ready to go and a few of them I use on winter trips to Eastern Shore ponds. That by far, is the easiest way for me to scratch my winter fishing itch. I highly recommend it. A sunny day in the 40s with low wind and willing pickerel and an occasional hungry bass is great fun. I actually find it vastly more comfortable than fishing on a 90 degree day in July.

I also head south when I can, just not as often as John. That indeed is enjoyable. It's funny how folks in FL will regard a 55 degree day as cold. But I will say when the manatees disappear, it's cold. The fishing there seems to reflect that too. My "manatee barometer" is therefore something I look for as a precursor to a good fishing day in FL.

Lastly, I read a lot during winter. Not specifically about fishing but mostly non-fiction and often with a maritime theme. I'm reading a book now about the SMS Wolf, a German raider, essentially a pirate ship disguised as a freighter, that wreaked havoc on allied shipping in the Pacific in WWI. It's an amazing story, not better known in the U.S. because most of the Wolf's damage was inflicted on shipping of the British Empire. Had the Wolf patrolled the Atlantic I'm sure it would have been as well known to American students of WWI as Sergeant York, the Red Baron and the Lost Battalion.

Anyway, the good news is that we're almost to the end of the January. Daylight has increased a little each day for a month now. We'll be out on the water in force soon enough.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

After selling 8 used reels during the past two weeks, I ordered 4 new reels. They arrived in the mail this afternoon. I had fun mounting them on rods and spooling them with new braided line. While I was at it, I changed line on two other reels. That was my vicarious fishing fun for the day.
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I bought a new flyrod and reel at the fly fishing show in Edison, NJ today...not that I needed it.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Comment

Projects for Cabin Fever

Just completed the work on Daughter Laura’s Compass...drilled both thru hull holes for installing the side scan hummingbird unit off of the Lady Luck installed the Berley Pro side scan transducer cover, installed the tru hull waterproof cabling plugs wired and tested the unit... all goodIMG_0329.jpgIMG_0233.jpgIMG_0331.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Last edited by ronaultmtd; 02-05-2019, 05:46 PM.

Comment

I bought an anchor trolley, just need to drag the Hobie inside...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yep, triplescan...I mounted it using the Berley Pro triplescan transducer Mount...works like a champ..

Comment

Busted out 34 jigs tonight. Weather has been ugly lately and cold. After getting "schooled" on the Chesapeake ways last year, got jigmolds, paint, skirts, etc. I'll be ready come Spring.
                    Attached Files

Comment

patarpon,

Nice work on the jigs.

Skirted jigs have gotten lots of praise in recent years.

You're well-dressed for 2019.
                      Mark
                      Pasadena, MD

Comment

You guys are alot better organized when it comes to preventative maintenance. I've found time to do is install a TotalScan transducer on my Titan. I also sold my Moken and bought a Coosa (for river floats) so I did some basic rigging but kept that simple because most of my river floats involve alot of wading and no fishfinder.

I've done ZERO rod/reel maintenance so I guess I need to get my butt in gear.
                        - Justin
                        2017 Native Watercraft Titan 13.5
                        2018 Jackson Coosa

Comment

Originally posted by jmt1980 View Post
                          ...I've done ZERO rod/reel maintenance so I guess I need to get my butt in gear.
                          I do rod and reel maintenance throughout the year. I think one of the most helpful and simplest things to do is to spray my combos with freshwater after local tidal water outings. Then it's just a matter of periodic reel lubrication. There are easy-to-access points to lubricate on spinning reels at the handle, under the handle, on the spool spindle and on the bail and roller. It takes only minutes. I sparingly use a very light machine oil in every spot I mentioned except the spindle. I put reel grease on that -- on the lower portion that retracts into the body of the reel as you turn the handle. I do remove the spool to reach the spindle. I've completely disassembled some reels in the past for a thorough cleaning but I don't attempt that anymore because I have hard time getting them back together! I would leave that to the pros.
                          Mark
                          Pasadena, MD

Comment

Oh I do all the general maintenance throughout the year but when cold hits and I put them away for the winter they just sit forgotten most of tghe winter. A big overhaul during the winter is almost a must... this thread motivated me to get off my butt!!!
                            - Justin
                            2017 Native Watercraft Titan 13.5
                            2018 Jackson Coosa

Comment

Working...
                            X