Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about buying a used boat with an older Hobie Mariage drive

Hi Kayakers,

I'm looking at getting a used boat with a Hobie Mirage drive (2011-2014 range). I have some questions.

I plan to use the boat in the Chesapeake Bay and surrounding tributaries (maybe the ocean if I get really adventurous). I will probably get a paddle boat for rocky smaller water trips.

The old V2 Mirage drive only goes forward. The new drive goes forward and backwards. Do you consider not having reverse on a pedal boat to be a deal breaker?

Would you be leery of buying a used boat with a V2 Mirage drive? I'm concerned that I might buy a boat with a beat up drive and not know the difference until my hard earned cash is gone. Is there anything to look at when evaluating a used drive?

Thanks,
    Eric

Eric,

I have reverse now and enjoy it. It's a very nice feature. But I pedaled a 2012 Hobie for 5 years without reverse and thoroughly enjoyed that experience too. I would not let the lack of reverse be a decision maker for me. It's not difficult to grab your paddle to move backward.

Regarding a used drive I would look for:

1. Cleanliness -- there should be no grime, salt deposits, or sand embedded in the moving parts of the drive. If there is, that indicates the drive most likely wasn't regularly rinsed with fresh water after use which could impact its longevity.

2. Overall tightness -- If you pick the drive up by the pedals do they spread outward abnormally? A little "play" is normal but excessive play may indicate the plastic that makes contact with the axel has been severely worn either due to a lot of use or lack of lubrication or both. Your pedaling motion will not be as smooth as it would with a well maintained tight unit. You'll still move forward but you may get some wobble in the pedaling motion. Newer drives have bearings at that contact point and remain tighter.

3. Cables and chains -- make sure all are present with corresponding locking nuts.

4. Main sprockets -- Make sure there are no teeth missing or so worn that the chains may slip.

5. Flipper rods -- There are stainless steel rods that form the backbone of the flippers. If the flippers do not line up when both pedals are close together, it could indicate that a rod has been bent by striking an underwater object. Again, they'll still thrust the boat forward but not as efficiently as straight rods will.

The good news is that if you find a few problems due to normal wear or minor damage, Hobie furnishes repair parts for its older drives.

Good luck,
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
      Eric,

I have reverse now and enjoy it. It's a very nice feature. But I pedaled a 2012 Hobie for 5 years without reverse and thoroughly enjoyed that experience too. I would not let the lack of reverse be a decision maker for me. It's not difficult to grab your paddle to move backward.

Regarding a used drive I would look for:

1. Cleanliness -- there should be no grime, salt deposits, or sand embedded in the moving parts of the drive. If there is, that indicates the drive most likely wasn't regularly rinsed with fresh water after use which could impact its longevity.

2. Overall tightness -- If you pick the drive up by the pedals do they spread outward abnormally? A little "play" is normal but excessive play may indicate the plastic that makes contact with the axel has been severely worn either due to a lot of use or lack of lubrication or both. Your pedaling motion will not be as smooth as it would with a well maintained tight unit. You'll still move forward but you may get some wobble in the pedaling motion. Newer drives have bearings at that contact point and remain tighter.

3. Cables and chains -- make sure all are present with corresponding locking nuts.

4. Main sprockets -- Make sure there are no teeth missing or so worn that the chains may slip.

5. Flipper rods -- There are stainless steel rods that form the backbone of the flippers. If the flippers do not line up when both pedals are close together, it could indicate that a rod has been bent by striking an underwater object. Again, they'll still thrust the boat forward but not as efficiently as straight rods will.

The good news is that if you find a few problems due to normal wear or minor damage, Hobie furnishes repair parts for its older drives.

Good luck,
      Hi Mark,

Thanks for the quick answer. It was great talking with you last weekend at the fishing expo. I finished reading your book and loved it.

Have a great day,
      Eric

Comment

I'm still running my 2011 Hobie Outback and it works like new. As with any moving part, there will be failures and replacements needed, but the mirage drive is simple and easy to fish. I've never had the reverse feature on my mirage drive, and most that do, seem to break those cables fyi. I wouldn't go anything under 2010/2011 because the drive well was reinforce after those years. The prior years had cracking issues. My 2008 did. But to answer your question again, don't worry these yaks stand up well to the test of time.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Kokatat Pro Staff
        Torqeedo Pro Staff
        Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
        Alan

Comment

Echoing what Mark and Alan said- you cannot go wrong with buying an older Hobie (unless it is a frame with the older twist-n-lock mirage drive holes, those are prone to crack, make sure its at least the drop-n-click). The V2 drive is a beast and honestly the reverse is not a deal breaker, you just have to be mindful when you position yourself (current, wind) and where it might move you. I have been through many kayaks, Hobie definitely has a build quality about it that is hard not to appreciate.

If the purchase is within 20 minutes of the Pasadena area I would be more than willing to come out and help you look everything over. The mirage drives are very basic, if anything is wrong it will be blatantly obvious (bent shafts, broken wires, corroded parts)
          Quote Originally Posted by Mark

Congratulations.

You're the first example of successful snakehead trolling I've heard of.

Personal bests on a kayak-
          Bass - 18.5''
          Striper - 22.5"
          Snakehead - 28"

Comment

Eric,

Thank you for the compliment on my book. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I hope the chapters on weight and pedaling vs. paddling gave you good food for thought. I have another book swirling in my head but getting it to the keyboard is another matter.

My V2 was still going strong after 5 years of heavy use. It did have a slight side to side "play" in the pedaling motion I mentioned in my original post. It still moved the boat just fine and I likely wouldn't have noticed it had I not gotten the new drive with Glide Technology.

Regarding 180 reverse cables breaking, that indeed was an issue when Hobie introduced the reverse function. In fact, I consulted with Delaware Paddlesports (DPS) prior to purchasing my 2018 Revo. I originally asked for it without reverse because of the breakage concerns and also because I never really missed going in reverse with my old Hobie. DPS told me that Hobie had modified the cables since introduction and that seemed to solve the problem. It has for me -- cross my fingers.

At the same time, I'm sensible with its use. I don't stress the unit by engaging in reverse while going full tilt forward. I recall reading a complaint by someone who rented a Hobie with a 180 drive. He said that shifting into reverse did not appreciably slow his forward motion. It's not a brake. Also, you cannot shift into reverse when you have the fins positioned against the hull, (i.e. your feet fully spread). Ideally your feet should be together with shifting. In those ways, the 180 drive is not as flexible as kayaks with rotational pedaling systems where you can simply reverse your pedaling motion to go backward.

So where do I find the 180 useful:

1. Fishing docks and other structure. I can move in and out as necessary without touching my paddle.
            2. Retrieving lures and flies. Yes, I often catch tree trout with my casts. I can go get them and back out without paddling.
            3. Holding casting position when the wind or current is at my back. (I have no anchor on my Hobie.)

If you're primarily a troller, the reverse is likely unnecessary unless you're developing a new trolling technique where you can watch your lines where they enter the water!

But otherwise the 180 has uses that enhance my fishing experience. It's does not make or break that experience.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

To add on what Mark said about the newer 180 drives breaking, there is a fine line between the force needed to engage the reverse... and what people do.

I can personally tell you it requires less than a lb of force to engage reverse. I think a majority of people breaking the cables muscled them.
              Quote Originally Posted by Mark

Congratulations.

You're the first example of successful snakehead trolling I've heard of.

Personal bests on a kayak-
              Bass - 18.5''
              Striper - 22.5"
              Snakehead - 28"

Comment

Originally posted by curtisakatoyo View Post
                To add on what Mark said about the newer 180 drives breaking, there is a fine line between the force needed to engage the reverse... and what people do.

I can personally tell you it requires less than a lb of force to engage reverse. I think a majority of people breaking the cables muscled them.
                Also supposedly they revamped the 180 drive this year. But that won't apply since I doubt you would find a cheap 2019 used Hobie.

Comment

Working...
                X