Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early Fall Kipto tips

Hey Everyone,
    I posted this on another board nut I wanted those not a part of it to chime in... Early October me and some friends plan on heading down to Kiptopeke for some kayak fishing and camping. None of us have ever fished there so we were wondering what we could expect to be biting and how to the best way to target those species.

We are also contemplating hitting up the CBBT, but I hear it can be a pain on the weekends with all of the boat traffic. I don't even know where to launch! Lol

Any tips you guys could provide would be helpful... And if you know of another hot spot in that area let me know!

Thanks,
    MyT

Jack (Pinch) and I have fished CBBT a few times now and have found that launching next to the restaurant, "Alexander's on the Bay" is the best for early morning launches. It's the closest launch site to the first island, which is still a 3 mile journey, and parking is scarce so show up early if you want to launch here. I've never fishing it in October but have every intention to give it a shot this year. Lynnhaven is also a great spot to fish since a little bit of everything seems to hang out in there.

If Reds are hitting in October then the Eastern shore will be the place to fish. Probably around Fishermans Island, latimer shoals, and Kipto, but we'll have to wait for some fishing reports. Either way, best of luck and keep up posted. Maybe we can setup a trip since I'm sure others will be willing to make the journey.

Josh
    2010 Hobie Outback

Comment

Josh ...... you and Pinch were launching from the VB side of the bridge ........ these guys will be launching from the other side ......... it's a $17 round trip toll and the fishing in the fall is usually pretty good if not better on their side of the bridge.

They can launch at Kipto to fish the ships and the several other places closer to the bridge ....... maybe Kayak Kevin will chime in .......

Comment

If we can get the schedules right, I'll go with ya and you guys can stay at my place

Comment

Also, there is a nice ramp across the highway in the wildlife refuge. It is a very short paddle from the ramp to a nearby bay. From there kayakers have access to the ocean, latimer shoals(bayside), and plenty of shallow areas in the little bay.

Comment

Off Ramp road?

Comment

Originally posted by HokieDJ View Post
              Off Ramp road?
              It is called "Wise Point Boat Ramp".

This page has all the details:

http://www.fws.gov/northeast/eastern...at%20ramp.html

Comment

Josh and I have launched there before. If you use the small craft launch be sure to come back at high tide or you wont make it. The boat ramp is wayyyyyy better. From the boat ramp go right to the ocean side or go left out of fisherman inlet to the bay.
                Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

That sounds like a blast. Have fished that area later in the year for some Huge stripers. What could one expect to possibly catch? Reds? Blues? Stripers? Not sure what to expect and/or what tackle I'd need. Sounds like a lot of fun.
                  2012 Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

I may meet you guys down there.

Planning to do any night fishing?
                    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Tufnik, we are binge fishing. We are liable to be fishing at ANYTIME between arrival Friday and departure on Sunday. Day...night...yak...surf...all of the above. I'll send you my number.
                      <insert witty comment here>

Comment

You guys heading down this weekend? I might be game for a CBBT trip with the new gear.
                        2010 Hobie Outback

Comment

Yeppers. We are setting up camp out of kipto for the weekend. Plan on fishing as much as we can. Kipto......fishermans island...cape charles...magothy bay...probably come south to fish the 1st island...all potentials for the weekend.
                          <insert witty comment here>

Comment

We had good luck at the hrbt Saturday night. I fished for flounder and had 4 keepers hooked, 1 landed @ 23", probably a half dozen smaller ones, and a bunch of croaker and blues. It would be far from you guys but maybe hit it on your way down?
                            Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                            Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                            https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
                              We had good luck at the hrbt Saturday night. I fished for flounder and had 4 keepers hooked, 1 landed @ 23", probably a half dozen smaller ones, and a bunch of croaker and blues. It would be far from you guys but maybe hit it on your way down?

Yeah... Will most likely head down Friday night and hit HRBT before heading to Kipto or the 1st island. It all depends on how the fishing reports look this week. There were mixed reports of people catching big flounder and triggers around the 1st tube last week.
                              2010 Hobie Outback

Comment

Working...
                              X