New Rod: St Croix Mojo Bass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Rod: St Croix Mojo Bass

So I finally cashed in some BPS gift cards from Christmas/birthday, and a few even from donating platelets, and picked up the first rod I've ever spent more than $50 on. It's a 7'1 MH fast action St Croix Mojo Bass spinning. It's the first split grip, and the first graphite rod I've owned. The weight difference between it and my ugly stiks is obscene, it's shockingly light. I have minor carpal tunnel in at least my right wrist, maybe both, so I really was prioritizing weight, and st croix is very good at publishing all their rod weights as well as components used, etc. The new mojo bass rods use the mid-upper tier SCIII graphite which is supposedly lighter and more sensitive than the SCII in the mojo inshores, previous gen mojo bass, and the tidemasters. I spent a few hours casting plugs, jigs/plastics, spoons, etc into the surf down in Avon NC over the weekend, and the rod when paired to my BG2500 performed very well. I felt no fatigue after 100-150 long casts into heavy winds, whereas I would always feel some fatigue after using the same reel paired to an ugly stik elite (one of, if not the lightest ugly stik offered). The rod feels very sensitive, but I've yet to even have a nibble on it, so I can't fully comment on the other most important functions: catching and fighting fish. But so far, so good.

I also looked at the Mojo yak, a very similar rod, but I preferred the cork grips of the mojo bass. I also looked at the g loomis e6x but I couldn't justify the price difference (60-70$) for something that may just be an overpriced shimano rod.

Some other rods I would've considered had they had them at BPS are the fenwick inshore elite, aetos, and maybe hmg, and the johnny morris rods seemed like good values for the money.

St. Croix rods are incredible. I use 2 - a Bass X with a Shimano Curado reel for jigging stripers, and a Triumph with a Diawa Ballistic reel for bass fishing - and I am considering changing to St. Croix for trolling and casting as well. I caught 3 LMBS this afternoon and the Triumph was a beauty. Congrats!

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk
    Jim McFalls
    MSG US Army Retired
    US Army Field Band Jazz Ambassadors Class of 1998

2018 Hobie Revo 13 - Sea Grass
    2015 Elie Coast 120XE Angler - Yellow/White
    2015 Pelican Unison 136t Tandem - Orange/White
    Instagram - @jmcfalls1960
    YouTube - Jimbo the Fishin' Musician

Comment

The virtues of light-weight rods and reels have been mentioned here often. Now that you've experienced the advantages of them you'll never go back. Congratulations on you new gear.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I also looked at the Mojo yak, a very similar rod, but I preferred the cork grips of the mojo bass. I also looked at the g loomis e6x but I couldn't justify the price difference (60-70$) for something that may just be an overpriced shimano rod.

I am sure you will like the new stick, I have owned several. I have also bought Star, Kistler, and gLoomis in graphite. I have moved away from St. Croix for only one reason...their warranty. The dealer used to be able to replace them at their shop, now St. Croix requires the consumer to return them to the factory. gLoomis has the same requirement. The difference is that after they receive them, St. Croix customer service calls and only offers a partial replacement cost or a strong upsell to a more expensive rod. This is on top of the $30-40 shipping both ways. gLoomis on the other hand has none of that. I have had them replace three rods and after I pay the shipping to get it to them it arrives within 48 hours federal express no extra charge and a brand new rod . Lately I have been buying more and more Star because my local tackle shop dealer can still replace them which he did twice for me last year and it’s a great fishing rod to boot .

Comment

Originally posted by Hemingway View Post

I am sure you will like the new stick, I have owned several. I have also bought Star, Kistler, and gLoomis in graphite. I have moved away from St. Croix for only one reason...their warranty. The dealer used to be able to replace them at their shop, now St. Croix requires the consumer to return them to the factory. gLoomis has the same requirement. The difference is that after they receive them, St. Croix customer service calls and only offers a partial replacement cost or a strong upsell to a more expensive rod. This is on top of the $30-40 shipping both ways. gLoomis on the other hand has none of that. I have had them replace three rods and after I pay the shipping to get it to them it arrives within 48 hours federal express no extra charge and a brand new rod . Lately I have been buying more and more Star because my local tackle shop dealer can still replace them which he did twice for me last year and it’s a great fishing rod to boot .
          That's good to know, though I've heard many positive stories about St Croix's warranty/service plan. Were the rods you returned to them out of warranty?

Comment

It has been 4 or 5 years since I last dealt with them, but I believe the rod was around five years old, so yes under their limited warranty. It was not defective workmanship, the rod broke in the act of fishing (probably high sticked it) which I was honest about. They have a three tier warranty plan now apparently at different amounts of money for replacement or repair. The same thing happened with my gLoomis rods, and I just get a new rod next day air, no extra money no questions. I just broke one of my last St. Croix’s last fall. It was MH greenwater, I just gave it to my local tackle shop so he could salvage the guides, and I put all the shipping and repair money on a new Star that he can replace. But, look, these are only my experiences with the different companies. I am hard on stuff. You will love your new St. Croix, they are sweet fishing rods, and hopefully you are not as rough as me and never even need to be concerned about the warranty stuff.

Comment

The Berkley AMP 7 foot salt water rod is my new found rod replacing the 6 Berkley Lightning rods I have. I paid 29 bucks per rod and it is lighter than my St Croix Premiers.

Casts better too.

Capt Mike

Comment

St Croix are nice rods. I have 2 and have had no problems with them. I have heard that its not hard to break the tips on them. I also have a light action g oomis that I use for shad and pan fish and stuff. It is my favorite rod. It just feels like it belongs in my hand. Even with a bad shoulder I can cast it all day long with no problems. Don' knock shimano rods, they are making some pretty nice ones, though they are expensive. Lately I have been buying some cheaper rods to beat up in the yak. I got a cadence, a bass pro bionic blade and I saw a abu vengeance on clearance at Walmart for $25 so I couldn't let that go. All 3 have been pretty good so far.

Comment

I've had 3 different St Croix rods replaced under warranty. They do make you pay shipping both ways but other than that I've had no issues. Their warranty program actually lets you trade rods up to a better model for a fee.

Honestly all the rods I've broken were transport related.

In one instance they made a new tip section of a travel model that is no longer in production.
                  1980 Something Old Town Canoe
                  2008 Native Ultimate 14.5
                  2015 Coosa HD
                  2016 Hobie Outback Limited Edition #56
                  2017 Pelican Trailblazer 1000 (38# of portaging freedom)

Comment

Working...
                  X